Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 12th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

update

Hey everyone, I was away for Easter and I really missed this board LOL. Anyway just thought I would update all of you who helped me decide if I should do the raw diet thing with my dogs, it's been like 2 weeks so we are halfway through my trial. Oscar my pointer loved it but it didn't love him. He had bad poops, lots of gas and an upset stomach. My beagle Mocha adpated better and seems to like it more. Her skin is less dry, her coat was always shiny so I don't see a difference but I do notice that she is excited at dinnertime and has boundless engery. I just don't know if I will continue, I have Oscar now on a half Iams half raw diet to ease his stomach and that's working so tomorrow I thought I would go all raw again for the week and see if maybe his system just needed adjustment time, anyway if you got a comment you know where to leave it...thanks
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Just want to tell you that putting dogs on a half raw, half kibble diet can cause runny stools as these two diets digest at different rates!
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

I had them both on full first but it just wasn't working
Old April 13th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

What is it that you are feeding them?I mean with the raw.And how much?
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:19 PM

A friend of mine was feeding her poochie the raw food. One day we were out for a walk, and the dog had (this is kind of gross so beware) a nasty poop with something like a mucousal membrane around it. They took the pooch to the vet and they said it was Samonela poisoning from the raw food. They were getting the stuff from a reputable store, but the vet said there were no regulations in place over pet foods. He also said that the process of putting the food together is less than sanitary. Anyhoo, just my two cents.
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

Hi, thanks...so far no one has said anything bad about the RAW diet so I was glad to hear that someone didn't have the best time with it...hope the dog was ok in the end.
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Carina is our RAW diet expert.

She has a book out that won an award....

Here is the link.

http://www.raw-dogs.com/default.htm
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Well, little Shadow wasn't "ok in the end", at least not the back end for a few days (sorry, I couldn't resist)! No, actually she was kind of bummed out for a few days and had messy poops, but then she got better again and had lots of energy. Even the vet said he had to take his dogs off the raw diet eventually because of the same thing.
It's sad that there are so few regulations on producers of dog food. I guess while we're just catching up ourselves to proper labelling laws for human food, the pets are getting left behind.
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I feed Sadie a 75% natural diet of home cooked foods I prepare for her. 25% of her diet is a developmental puppy food of high quality. She gets no nasty milk bone treats or anything like snausages YICK!!

She does get raw beef bones that she loves and has never had trouble with. Collies are notorious for sensitive stomachs and bowels.

I'd recommend Carina's book to anyone!
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

The problem is you need to feed the RAW diet right.Did that make sense?..LOL

You can't just give them everything at once.That's why some dogs are having a problem adjusting to it.

If this didn't make sense then maybe Luba can explain it better... ....And even show you Sadies dinner....MMMMMMMM....LOL.

I too would recomend Carinas book.It will help you understand how to do it right.
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Mona is correct

Any diet change needs to be done gradually and not at once. You need to introduce things to a diet little by little.

It's the same common sense with people...but most of them don't follow it either and end up sick or saying their diets don't work.
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Tanks my friend.

I knew you would be able to explain it better.....
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Hey Cj!! Luba's right on the transitioning part of the RAW diet. The dog's stomach acid has to build back up to kill any bacteria it comes in contact with. Once they're used to it, just about anything goes!!
I'm sorry Oscar is having a hard time with it. What kind of diet is he on? As for the RAW part I would boil water and pour it over the meat to kill any bacteria in it for at least a couple of weeks. I also boiled the eggs. But it still might not help. I still scald the meat but I do give them raw eggs now! Hopefully things go a bit better for you..
L.R. was also right on the digesting part, it takes 4-1/2 hours to digest raw, 9 to digest canned(moist) and 15-16 hours for dry.
So I don't know how his stools would be, sorry!