Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 9th, 2009, 11:45 PM

Obsessive licking after surgery!! HELP!

Hi all. I am desperate for help. My 3 year old Beagle had surgery 2 weeks ago to have a cyst removed from his back leg joint. The incision has healed wonderfully and he has been wearing a cone for the last 2 weeks. Recently he has discovered that if he contorts his body the right way he can lick at his wound. Now normally this would not be too big of an issue but he is OBSESSIVE about licking it, to the point that is is almost becoming raw. I have tried increasing the size of the cone but he still manages to work around it. I know that the area is itchy because it is healing but I don't know what else to do to stop him from licking. I have tried prescriptions such as Panalog that I got from my vet but it doesn't seem to relive the itch. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm wondering if there is a home school remedy out there that may work or if something like Calamine Lotion could be used without being harmful. FYI...if he cannot lick at it while wearing the cone he will jab the edge of the cone into it to scratch which is starting to rub off the skin a little.
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Live well, laugh often

Poor pup :sad:. Is it possible to wrap the leg so he can't lick the wound? How about trying a pair of kids pajama bottoms (cut hole for tail)?
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:04 AM

That seems to be itchy that's why he keeps on licking the wound. I have read somewhere that there is this sort of wetsuit-like thing that you can wrap around the dog to cover his wound. It is made to be durable but then of course, our dogs are determined to tear it apart to lick the wound. ^_^
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I think your best bet is socks or pyjamas to cover the area! I wonder if you could put some polysporing or something on it and cover it with socks or pyjamas and at least it may take the itch away? poor thing!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM

I've tried putting polysporin and even a baking soda paste on it but he just licks it off. I know it itches cause the fur is growing back. I don't think a sock will work because the are is higher up on the back leg joint so it will just slip off but I never thought of using kids pyjamas. Ill give that a try and let you know if it works.
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Post surgery scars always itch, because new skin is growing there. Maybe your vet could increase the mg. of Panalog, or find another drug? I don't know if covering it would be a good idea, since the area has to be open to air to heal properly, you would have to ask your vet. Distraction is always a good idea.
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:14 PM
-

My lab licked an area on his front leg raw which was due to boredom when he was rehabilitating from knee surgery. I tried polysporin but it didn't work and tried wrapping it but he just tore it off and couldn't use pj's as it was the front leg ....he never did bother with the leg the surgery was done on.

The only way I got the hair to grow back on his front leg was to constantly tell him "no licking" or "leave it" and by dabbing apple cider vinegar on it a couple of times a day.

Good luck.