Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:29 PM
Kitty Consort

Shaking, trembling in dog

I've been watching Percy carefully today - something is wrong with him. :sad:

I heard him whine in some distress last night, then it stopped. Today, he's been inactive, not himself. He is prone to constipation( one reason I want to change his food)... and I thought this might be the reason for his discomfort.

In the last hour or two, I've noticed he is now trembling too. I checked him all over, felt everywhere..cant see anything. His rear end looks clear.

Given that he hasnt been moving around either, I decided to take him to the vet - just made an appt for later this afternoon.

I hate to run to the vet for every little thing, but this shaking and trembling to me indicates he is having pain, and therefore is in fact a big thing.

Is this correct? Will dogs tremble from even a little discomfort - or does this always indicate they are in great distress?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about Percy.

He is a small dog right?I have heard something about this happeneing in small dogs alot.A friend of mine had a simular problem with her ShihTzu,Ruffles.Apparently is was diagnosed as a disc problem.Now I'm not saying that this is Percy's problem,but I would have him checked for it.

Please let us know what the vet says.

And yes,dogs can tremble even in a little discomfort.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:05 PM

I'm glad you're going to the vet.

I don't know if this applies, but I researched and there is such a thing as "White Dog Shaker Syndrome". I have never heard of it but it occurs mainly with small, adult white dogs. The dog has tremors involving the entire body, including the head. The treatment is corticosteroids and less severe cases clear up within a few days... They think it's an autoimmune disease.

I hope everything is ok.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:31 PM
Kitty Consort

Hi Mona, and Prin - thanks.

Mona...you were right!
This might sound ridiculous, but as this began suddenly in the middle of the night, and the dog sleeps with me... I was worried that perhaps I had somehow injured him. He is small - 6 pounds, and has legs like chicken bones.

Just came back from the vet - she believes it is in fact a disc problem - a common occurence in small dogs and particularly poodles she said. The vertabrae are affecting the neck- he reacted strongly with sharp pain in this area when she moved it.
She prescribed the anti-inflammatory Metacam for him, and if this doesnt help, he can be re-assessed. Apparently some dogs just stay on the Meticam permanently, or another med.
If the condition persists, more testing and surgery is an option she said - if the animal is suffering really adverse affects

As he came to me as an adult stray, his age was just an estimate, and apparently not very accurate.
The general concensus now seems to be he is at least 11 or 12. As a senior dog, I'd prefer not to risk surgery. Hopefully this will subside now, and not become a chronic problem.

Thanks again for your input!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:12 AM
banned user

Hope everything works out for you and your dog, I know metacam does work well, Blaze had it after neuter. My boys sleep with my aswell, I'm always afraid of hurting Jordie but he does move if I get to close to him..something I guess we all worry about when the dogs are in our beds.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:14 PM
Kitty Consort

Thanks GoldenBlaze, I am very worried about him. :sad: He is currently hiding under the bed, has not eaten, drank any water, pooped or peed in more than a day. I've taking him outside several times.. he just curls up in a ball. He cried out in pain when I touched his stomach - the vet said its his neck.

I hope this vet is right in her initial diagnosis. She is new to this clinic, very young...not the one I reguarly see.
She said I should see improvement in 24 hours There sure isnt any so far.
If he hasnt picked up by later this afternoon - he's going back there - or to someone else.
Should I be trying to give him some water through a syringe at this point? I worry about dehydration.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:22 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

oh dear

Sounds like the little guy is having a terrible time of it. Perhaps call the vet's office and see if another vet is around, one with more experience? If it was just the disc, he should have had relief from the Metcam... dogs with dysplasia get relief quite rapidly from it. Hope he's feeling better soon.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:23 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Shamrock, I'm so sorry your baby is ill! What is your gut feeling?? If you feel it is something other than a disc problem, I wouldn't hesitate to get a second opinion.

It wouldn't hurt to try and give Percy some water. Have you tried to entice his appetite with canned food? If it were me, I would take him to the vet today!

I hope he feels better soon and I hope you do too!

Is it possible he ate something he shouldn't have?? I'm thinking something toxic?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Kitty Consort

Copper's Mom, with the very sudden onset of distress,.. my gut feeling tells me that it isnt a disc problem...but is somehow connected to his digestive system He could have eaten something toxic while we were out walking.
Also,we had chicken the other night. I am careful with the disposing of the bones,,but I DID leave the table unattended briefly before clearing. Now I am wondering..did he steal a bone and hide it from me? This could make him very ill.

As BMDluver says.. the Metacam should have him feeling more perky, but today he appears worse.. sicker.
I'm going to call over to this clinic. I think he needs to be seen again... by someone else.
Thanks kindly for your concern. I'll let you know the results.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:11 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
As BMDluver says.. the Metacam should have him feeling more perky
Yes, I thought so too. I wasn't quite sure if it affects a pet this quickly. Copper has been on it before for an injury with his leg and he was a completey normal, crazy, active dog until he went off the metacam. That must be some good stuff!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Percy.

Last edited by Copper'sMom; May 3rd, 2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I still wouldn't rule out a disc problem - the prescribed metacam may just not be enough treatment for your pup if disc problem is advanced. Or it could well be food related. My considerable experience with disc problems is strictly related to Dachshund Disc disease, neck and back - both Stages I and II - with II being the nastier in the end. Neurogsurgery was required. But your pup is a poodle so disc problem is probably of a different nature. We now have a one year old Eskimo - and they are prone to hip dyslasia so now I have this to worry about - and do every time I look at those long, thin legs of his. I would try and keep your pup quiet - as little movement as possible -you know the drill I am sure - no stairs, carr him etc. Due to your pup's age, I don't even want to think about the surgery unless it would be very limited. Every disc in my guys' backs and necks were affected - so not quite the norm. I would give it until tomorrow and then try for a second opinion.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:56 PM
Kitty Consort

Thumbs up He's picking up!

I am happy to say that Percy seems to be responding better now. He is out from under the bed..moving around a bit, drank some water.. and even wagged his tail at me.All good signs that he is seeing some relief now with the Metacam.
I brought him back to the vet for a second check. She examined him again, very thoroughly.. and still feels its a disc problem. His abdomen appears fine.
I'm going to continue with the med and monitor him for the next day or two. We'll do x-rays and blood work if he doesnt make steady progress,.but I am encouraged.

I guess I didnt give it enough time to "kick in".
I am SUCH a fuss-budget when it comes to my pets - I start to panic when things seems wrong - fret, worry, pace.. "imagine".What IS it?
I know that some non -pet people might laugh at me about this, but the petlovers here understand . They're our "kids", after all.

Thank you once more for your kind good wishes for Percy.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:37 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
I guess I didnt give it enough time to "kick in".
I am SUCH a fuss-budget when it comes to my pets - I start to panic when things seems wrong - fret, worry, pace.. "imagine".What IS it?
I know that some non -pet people might laugh at me about this, but the petlovers here understand . They're our "kids", after all.

Thank you once more for your kind good wishes for Percy.

Great that the meds are now working makes you feel little better seeing him drink and move. Hope all works out well for you. I laugh when you say how you worry about your pets me too! I understand what you are saying.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor

You and your fur baby are in my thoughts and prayers. It is good to know that there are some signs of improvement. Keep us posted!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:35 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Good to hear Percy is doing a little better!! Just remember, it's better to make a fuss about a pet's health than to ignore it or put it off. And besides, we the owners pay for all of their medical care, so it's not like we are wasting the vet's time!! My animals always come before me and my well-being. I wouldn't want it any other way!
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM

Shaking, trembling in dog

My puppy Lucas, poodle around 10 or 11 years old, has been trembling and showing signs of recent loss of interest in his daily playful mood and behavior, most noticable after slowly climbing or decending the stairs... he usually runs or hops up and down them... his sudden sign of yelping upon picking him up alarmed us because we believe him to be in discomfort or pain... the 5 mg per lb regimen has improved his character slightly, but i rather get him x-rayed & have his blood tested, because i don't know how long we can or should keep this aspirin shecudle going without knowing if we are doing him more harm than good... suggestions? thanking you in advance for helping us look into this concerning matter which is of the utmost importance to us, our lucas' end to his suffering <3
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I've been watching Percy carefully today - something is wrong with him. :sad:

I heard him whine in some distress last night, then it stopped. Today, he's been inactive, not himself. He is prone to constipation( one reason I want to change his food)... and I thought this might be the reason for his discomfort.

In the last hour or two, I've noticed he is now trembling too. I checked him all over, felt everywhere..cant see anything. His rear end looks clear.

Given that he hasnt been moving around either, I decided to take him to the vet - just made an appt for later this afternoon.

I hate to run to the vet for every little thing, but this shaking and trembling to me indicates he is having pain, and therefore is in fact a big thing.

Is this correct? Will dogs tremble from even a little discomfort - or does this always indicate they are in great distress?
My dog Marty was shaking really bad a few week ago and I thought he might be getting sick . He stopped shaking within a couple of hours ,I think the coyote may had been in our yard again . That would really scarce the crap out of a small dog. A dog can also tell when a storm is on it way before we can and my last dog would shake a little just before we got a T storm. It does not always mean a dog it is pain when they shake or the trembles , it could mean they're in great distress. If my dog was not eating and vomiting too I would be very worried.
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrxpress View Post
My puppy Lucas, poodle around 10 or 11 years old, has been trembling and showing signs of recent loss of interest in his daily playful mood and behavior, most noticeable after slowly climbing or descending the stairs... he usually runs or hops up and down them... his sudden sign of yelping upon picking him up alarmed us because we believe him to be in discomfort or pain... the 5 mg per lb regimen has improved his character slightly, but i rather get him x-rayed & have his blood tested, because i don't know how long we can or should keep this aspirin shecudle going without knowing if we are doing him more harm than good... suggestions? thanking you in advance for helping us look into this concerning matter which is of the utmost importance to us, our Lucas' end to his suffering <3
When in doubt see your vet. Did your vet put him on aspirin or did you? If he is yelping when you pick him up and is having trouble climbing stairs then he might have hurt his back or neck and you need to take him to the vet asap. If your asking for suggestions, here is mine, I'd take him to the vet, right now. I wouldn't even wait another day. Get an x-ray done and take it from there. Hope it all works out.
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I agree, jrxpress. I'd get him into the vet for a checkup. The change in behavior is the most unsettling thing. Is it due to the pain or are both pain and change of behavior from something else entirely? With luck the vet will be able to pinpoint what the problem is and get Lucas on the proper treatment.

Good luck! Pls keep us posted!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 8th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Senior Contributor

You might consider acupuncture and/or chiropractic.

www.avcadoctors.com