Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 27th, 2015, 02:43 PM

Obese dog. Owner needs help

My husbands buddy came over last night with his four year old vizsla and I was shocked to see the condition she was in. Apparently his ex fed the dog chips, candy, anything really and now the dog is obese. I mean so large she doesn't resemble her breed. She has giggly fat hanging from her chest and her "lady bits" while the rest of her body is very tight and solid.
Firstly, I have to find a delicate way of helping him to address this situation. I did say "oh my goodness she is a lot of dog!" But I don't think he took it that seriously and just said now his ex is out of the picture the dog will lose the weight.
I think it would be rude of me to tell him what to do with his dog but I'm not sure I'll be able to keep my nose out the next time I see him.
Anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed? Reducing meal amounts and increasing her excercise is what I need to tell him. You would think its a no brainer though and shouldn't need to be said by me? I really feel bad for this dog and want to help her
Old March 27th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

You could asked what does the vet think about the dog weight and tactfully let your friend know his dog will feel better and have less health issues if it lose some weight . Or you could say I did not know you had 2 dogs! That will get the guy attention.
Old March 27th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Lynne & Co thats a tough one but I am not sure the next time I would be able to keep quiet either. If your close or your hubby is close to the other fella then maybe he could suggest a play date with other dogs or a get together for doggie walks. I know you recently had a loss and this might not be possible. Its a way to help as well hands on as well.

It is so hard when you see these types of things isnt it..

Maybe the ex is just recently gone and things will improve, only time will tell and you will be able to tell if he is doing anything about it since he said she will loose it now that she is gone...

Last but not least have him over for a few drinks, where he is feeling comfortable and then tell him.. just kidding....good luck

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 27th, 2015, 04:44 PM

Well, the Vizsla can be prone to canine hip dysplasia and while it is an inherited disease, being overweight can cause it to become worse. So I would usher my comments along preventative health lines. It can open the door diplomatically to weight.
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:40 PM

Thank you BarkingDog, Winston and MarianE.
I think I'm going to incorporate all your suggestions. Will start off a conversation on which vet he uses and lead into the weight topic there. My vet has left the practice so I'm searching for new vet anyway. Then I'll ask about inherited diseases in the Vizsla (even though I already know) and then bring on the alcohol and interrogate him
Seriously though, I'm thinking of asking if I could take her to the off leash dog park while he is at work. I've missed the fresh air and exercise myself since the loss of Billy. Jazz only likes a quick neighbourhood walk and only on sunny warm days cuz she's a "princess"
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne&Co. View Post
Seriously though, I'm thinking of asking if I could take her to the off leash dog park while he is at work.
Ah, I love the pro-active approach!!! And if you're helping him and his dog out, he'll be more open to listen to you, most likely. I'm thinking if indeed the issue was the Ex over-feeding inappropriate foods and that is no longer happening, along with the outings to the park, this dog should start showing some improvement shortly.