Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 7th, 2007, 05:47 PM

Question Stinky dog farts

Hey,

My Lab X puppy has horrible gas and it's very frequent. I don't think I've ever met a dog that has gas like this, I'm wondering if anyone elses dog is like this or if anyone has a tip they'd like to share on something extra I could feed her to help with the gas. She gets fed a premium puppy food, could that be the problem?

Thanks!!

Proud Parent of:
Kip - Female, DSH Cat
Moxy - Female, Lab Cross
Dagan - Male, Husky/Malamute Cross
Old January 7th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
She gets fed a premium puppy food, could that be the problem
what food?... if it has corn, soy, wheat, or is very grainy - then it may be a cause (grain fermentation in the gut... dogs were never meant to eat grains and certainly not in the amount contained in kibble). are your dog's poops normal? any belching? any signs of fool intolerance or allergies, or just the gas?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 7th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I'd be pointing the finger at that food, too. If it is high quality food, your dog may have allergies or something. I know pretty quickly if I feed my dog something that I shouldn't have. Stinky...stinky...stinky...
Old January 7th, 2007, 06:01 PM

I agree we were having the same problem when we first got Alexis. The vet suggested changing the food, and it worked. I mean she still passes gas, usually only when company comes over..lol, but not as much. Good luck- let us know if it helps.
Old January 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM
-

I agree with Technodoll.....what premium kibble are you feeding?
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:58 PM

I'm feeding her Solid Gold Wolf Cub. She does burp a few times after eating but that's it, I think that comes from her eating too fast and then guzzling her water as well but maybe not. She had the same farts when we had her on the crappy dog food too, which was Nutrience Puppy.

Proud Parent of:
Kip - Female, DSH Cat
Moxy - Female, Lab Cross
Dagan - Male, Husky/Malamute Cross
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

something about it may not be sitting right in her tummy try a different protein source or maybe something less grainy?
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:55 PM

Try to limit her water a bit (just by distracting her, not by actually removing the water) immediately after eating. Even though Wolf Cub doesn't have citric acid in it (which leads to bloat when it's wet), IMO when you look at all the risk factors for bloat, gulping large quantities of water after scarfing food quickly can lead to too much air in the belly, which can lead to bloat.

If that doesn't reduce the gas, you can try probiotics, or changing the food.
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:06 PM

Don't worry i feel your pain, Charlie has room clearing farts since he was a puppy. No matter what food he eats the vet said its just the breed
Lady the cocker spaniel mix ??? 3-5 years old

Cats
Felicity the grey medium haired cat 3 yrs
Hope the calico 4 years
Marco the tabby cat 9 years
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Honest Contributor

i would caution though that dry kibble is hard to digest without water, the stomach needs liquid to break all that hard stuff down... limit the water a bit but let your dog drink as much as it needs to make the food pass... just not head-in-the-bowl scarfing it down though which is what i'm sure prin meant

not because a food is "premium" means that a dog can digest it well, or that it is good for them... all dogs are unique individuals and it can sometimes be a pain in the butt to figure out what works for them, LOL!

Old January 7th, 2007, 10:08 PM

They do need a slurp or two maybe, but drinking a lot in one shot can lead to bloat, especially after food. Even if they wait an hour, it would help reduce the gasses..

btw, water in the belly doesn't help digestion too much because it's just another thing to digest/absorb. If a dog is properly hydrated before eating, there's no problem digesting kibble.
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Honest Contributor

well i tried eating a bowl of dry cereal once, and waiting a few minutes after to take in some liquid... oh man, talk about stomach ache. that was brutal and it was not half as dense as kibble.

IMO the water help the stomach turn kibble into mush, hence digested (i am talking about a reasonable amount here, not a bucketful! but more than a slurp or two)

Old January 7th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Retriever Fever

I feel your pain...occasionally someone (usually a well-meaning relative or friend) gives Toby a cheapo treat and sure enough - BLAM. They are usually S.B.D. and usually clear the room.

Once, it was so bad that we seriously thought we had a gas leak in our house. The smell stayed on both levels of our house for some time, so we went outside in our pajamas to spray soapy water on our gas meter to check. No leak. When we came inside it became clear that the smell was emanating from one place - the golden retriever with a guilty look on his face.

Ever since then, he earned the new nickname "gas leak". Example: "Where is gas leak? Sit, gas leak. Come, gas leak"
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac
Ever since then, he earned the new nickname "gas leak". Example: "Where is gas leak? Sit, gas leak. Come, gas leak"
he he! you be nuts! he he!

Old January 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM

I feel your pain

When we first adopted out lab mix puppy he had really bad gas all the time. The worst part was you could actually hear him fart. It would surprise him and he would freak out on his own tail end! We tried several different foods doing the whole gradual mix thing when we introduced each new food. The one that seemed to reduce his gas the most was Nutro Max (i think their was a sensative stomach kind). After two years of that food he lost interest in it. We figured if the food was meeting his needs any more we woud try something new. So we switched to a new brand but the gas never came back! THANK GOODNESS!
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Georges used to be alot gassy we switch food alot... took us 6 differents brand before sitcking with Orijen puppy kibbles. Now he's less gassy but still fart from time to time.. always in car the car... guest it comes with him being nervous
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I have heard that adding ground fennel to the food can help for gas but I have no personal experience using it. Flurry can tend to be gassy at times, but I think that has more to do with the "other stuff" he picks up and eats than his actual diet. "Other stuff" can include horse manure, chicken manure, dog poop from the backyard, chicken feed, rabbit pellets (both kinds, feed and droppings ) and the whole eggs I sometimes give the dogs. Plus they love veggies and he gets all kinds of odds and ends when in the kitchen cutting or peeling veggies. Funny enough if i make the dogs a soup or stew that doesn't seem to make them too gassy, but the eggs sometimes will. I've thought of trying the fennel but so far I've only seen it whole (looks like caraway seeds).

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Dog-tastic!

Angry

Haha... I'm glad that we're not the only ones being gassed out of our house! Our dog is kept on a strict and consistent diet, but every now and then, he comes down with a case of eye-watering, nose hair burning gas that is almost unbearable! And the worst part is that he loves to be around us, so when it happens, we're usually laying on the couch with him at our feet and it just hits you like a freight train!!!

We haven't been able to find out an answer, so we've just trained him to go lay on his bed when he's got the funky butt.