Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 30th, 2014, 07:32 AM

feline leukemia virus and feline immunodeficiency virus

I took my kitty to the vet he is three almost four years old. I took him because he was getting crusty's at the corner of his eyes its not real bad just at the corners.She examined him and said there was no signs of infection or anything like that and said its allergies. Lately i have been reading about feline leukemia virus and feline immunodeficiency virus and one of the symptoms is eye problems and i am worried what if he has it. I was told when we got him by my other vet (we have moved since then so different vet) that he didn't need it because he was an indoor cat and now i am reading that because he came from a home with other cats he does need it. I am just wondering would the vet that examined him for his eyes have suspected if he did have it. He has no other symptoms just the eye thing i am getting him vaccinated after reading this but now i am worried.
Old March 10th, 2015, 08:00 PM

vaccines

If he already has Feline Leukemia, it won't make a difference if you give him a vaccine. It is a preventative. It is possible he could have gotten it previously from being around other cats, but I would think you would see alot more symptoms. The only way to find out for sure is getting a blood test done. If hes indoors only now and doesnt interact with other cats I wouldnt get any vaccines. My cat is strictly indoors and I do not vaccinate her. They live way longer without they live way longer without vaccinations. I especially wouldn't vaccinate him if he is positive with Feline Leukemia because they have weakened immune systems.