Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 5th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Question Dog has difficulty standing and sitting

Kasha is my 4 year old female pug. In the last two days she has been having a difficult time sitting and standing. She doesn't seem to be in pain. I can massge her back legs without her doing anything but the usual loving it when she gets massaged, and there isn't anything obvious that looks out of place. Once she's standing she can walk without a limp and once lying down she gets quite comfortable and sleeps soundly except for the occasional shake like she's shivering from cold. Kasha seems to be sad but is eating, drinking, and going to the washroom fine. She was at the vet recently, she is up to date on all her shots, and had stool samples tested which came back fine. She got a clean bill of health. I'm worried. She goes back in to see the vet on Tuesday I was just hoping someone might have some insight or answers for me in the meantime... thank you.
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Floppy Dog

Did Kasha jump off somthing? She might have pulled a muscle or tendon. Also, is there a companion or member of the family who has changed schedules, gone somewhere for a visit or is otherwise not around as normal?

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old August 5th, 2010, 04:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm wondering about a pulled or strained muscle, too....or maybe a sprained back?

I'm glad she's going back in to see the vet soon. I hope you get some answers!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Dog has

Shivering is usually a sign of pain, hope your vet can diagnose her problem.
Old August 7th, 2010, 08:23 PM

Kasha, until just the other day was always jumping on and off something or running up and down the stairs. I suppose it's quite possible that she pulled a muscle or tendon but she really doesn't seem to be in pain. Like I said earlier, I can manipulate both of her legs and massage them and she loves it and once she does get up she moves around fine (as long as there are no steps to climb) she even gets into a slow run when she's outside.

She doesn't shiver all the time, like now for example, I helped her onto the futon to lie down and she's sound asleep all stretched out and snoring. No shivering at all. I find she shivers only once in a while or if she's really tired.

Actually, my oldest son, who she's closest to next to me, is away working 20 days at a time. He just returned to his seasonal job a couple of months ago and I found she had a hard time adjusting to him being away again. It would take her a day or two to get back to her normal playful self every time he left again. I wonder, now that you mention it, if that could have something to do with it. She is a very sensitive girl...hmmm

Thank you so much for all your responses, I will post as soon as I know more...
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:21 PM

Dog has difficulty standing and sitting

Update on Kasha. She's been to the vet and he's diagnosed her with Deteriorating Disk Disease. He put her on Steroids for four days and ordered Kennel rest for three weeks. After only three days on the meds she was back to her old crazy self and she wants out. What a relief!! He did say that she would have reccuring bouts of it and eventually we'd have to decide if we want her to have corrective surgery. For now, things seem to be looking up. We'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it... I'm just so happy she's feeling better.
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad you got a diagnosis and she's on the mend again. Kasha's going to want to go tearing--I don't envy you finding ways to keep her entertained while under kennel rest! But it'll be worth it in the end!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:30 AM

Dog has difficulty standing and sitting

I feel bad that she has to be in there but at the same time she's got a nice big cage kennel that I just move around the house so she can be where all the action is. Everyone feels so bad for her that they all take turns lovin her up. They all open the kennel and spend some time talking to and petting her. It's so cute to see my 20 and 17 year old boys being so attentive to her needs. My 14 year old daughter can almost fit right in there withe her . She's loving all the extra attention that's for sure. It's definitely going to be a long 3 weeks but like you said, it'll be worth it in the end...
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's nice that she can be moved to where the action is. One of the blessings of being a smaller dog! It sounds like she's not going to want her quarantine to end what with all the lovin's she's gettin'!