Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:06 PM

the raw food diet

I am sure there is a thread on here for this discussion but I could not find it. Up until now I have been completely against the Raw Food diet, but now am considering it. I would really like to know the pros and cons of it. Thanks!
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:03 PM
Live well, laugh often

There is a whole raw food sub-forum in the dog/cat food forum.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:59 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Maybe a mod could move this to the raw section

Anyways, heres a few links to get you started http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html
http://www.rawfeddogs.net/

For me, raw makes sense. Look at our dogs. look at their teeth. Look at their digestive system. Their teeth are desgined to rip & tear at meat. To crunch up bones. This is how nature intended them to eat. If Nature wanted them to eat plants, they would have teeth like a cow or a horse. But they don't.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Learning fast

Not trying to me rude but just wondering, you mentioned you were totally against it, why was that? I had never heard of it and did a lot of reading and thought, lets give it a go, I don't believe all the great stories but I'd like to offer a variation in diet without giving a 2 week swap over. My story is exactly that, my story, but it pretty well reflects the others, I can mix and match food and I will know at once if he develops an allergy. The 2 links are GREAT starting points, there are more advanced sites with scientific journal quotation, but I always wondered when feeding became a science? you feed it, they like it, they do well on it. Isn't that all the science you need, of couse I can back up this with recognised works, but there is NO food that won't have someone saying it's not right, since when did processed foods become right, vegetables become right (OK i know that one, just after they processed everything and couldn't find another way to make up the chemical analysis to prove it's good, even if none of it could be digested, it just had to be in the food). I'm just wondering what changed your mind?.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:47 AM
Learning fast

Just reread that, I'm not trying to discourage you, i personally believe if something works for you then do it, be it kibble, cooking, cans or a variation of RAW. Good luck and happy reading.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:35 AM

Well said.

Thats what I like about his diet so much. Its so easily tailored for your dog! (or cat) Personally, I don't feel fruit & veggies need to be fed. If you read any raw sites that encourage veggie feeding, whats the first thing they tell ya to do? Puree the veggies as dogs cannot breakdown them whole. Well, that right there tells me dogs don't need veggies. I do however feed fruit & veggies as treats! But again, this comes down to what you feel is best for your dog!

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:00 AM
Honest Contributor

jumping in to say "me too, me too i agree"

I am feeding my own version of a raw diet, it's far from purist but it works for my dogs and i truly enjoy making their meals every day (i have to admit they often eat better than we do, LOL!)

I like to boil up some veggies (sometimes with rice, sometimes not) and mash or puree them with the cooking water, and add a couple spoonfuls of their morning ground mix along with some plain yogurt or a raw egg, sometimes it's canned fish or raw fish chunks, or ground raw green tripe, or a bit of mashed ripe fruit like banana or avocado, or a bit of olive oil... sometimes i don't add anything at all to the ground meat mix (i make my own... chicken frames and beef, or ground whole chicken, sometimes with raw liver).

Their evening meals consist of raw meaty bones such as a quartered chicken or turkey, or bone-in pork roast, or ribs, or pork hocks, etc... anything i can find on sale. they'll only eat that if I sear it before though, i know i have picky dogs, but i'll do what it takes to get them to eat So far their health is doing beautifully, can't complain. No gas, tiny poops, no shedding, glossy coat, no bad breath, white teeth, good energy, no allergies, no scratching, etc.

I know I could feed a more natural way, ie only meat, bones and organs, but to me it lacks of something... so it's truly a personal choice and as long as it works for your dog, your budget and your level of commitment, i say it's all fine

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:

Last edited by technodoll; January 23rd, 2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
There is a whole raw food sub-forum in the dog/cat food forum.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64
Thanks, i was sure there was a thread on this but I am new and trying to find all the threads. It is a bit daunting. I am not the most savy computer person. Hopefully, they will just move my thread.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:25 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.l.r.8 View Post
Just reread that, I'm not trying to discourage you, i personally believe if something works for you then do it, be it kibble, cooking, cans or a variation of RAW. Good luck and happy reading.
You aren't being discouraging. I think at first it was just such a foreign idea to me. I think dogs are domesticated so not the same as when they were packs long ago. The premise is they are dogs and ate in the wild. When did a Lab last do that?
Now, I am more open to it and having some issues with my pup Rory so we are taking him off all grains. Also, considering the raw now.
I also am a little weary of handling a bunch of raw meat; however, I realized I can buy it already pattied and don't have to cut, blend etc. I went ahead and bought some duck patties and will rotate with the orijen. It is also very costly so that is another consideration. It is just a new way of understanding diet and nutrition for my dogs. I am up for the challenge though. When I realized I would just be unthawing some patties for them and putting it in the bowl it sure made it sound pretty easy!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:29 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_B View Post
Maybe a mod could move this to the raw section

Anyways, heres a few links to get you started http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html
http://www.rawfeddogs.net/

For me, raw makes sense. Look at our dogs. look at their teeth. Look at their digestive system. Their teeth are desgined to rip & tear at meat. To crunch up bones. This is how nature intended them to eat. If Nature wanted them to eat plants, they would have teeth like a cow or a horse. But they don't.
Thanks for the sites!! Excellent point!! Yes I hope the mod moves this because I feel like a nerd now! My ignorance of forums, threads and overall lack of computer savy is glaring for all to see!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I think dogs are domesticated so not the same as when they were packs long ago
being domesticated, ie a conditioned learned behavioral response, has nothing to do with their physiology, ie biomechanics. our little poodles are, through and through, identical in "food processing functions" and "internal mechanisms" as the wild wolves roaming the woods

http://rawfed.com/myths/changed.html for further reading.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I dont have much to say really that hasnt already been said, but just thought that i would say..... After coming round here and learning what I have about dog foods and then later switching my dogs to raw, I wont ever go back to kibble.!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:00 PM

Exactly Techno. I'll agree 100% that dogs are domesticated, however they are essentially a wolf in sheep's clothing so to speak

Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM

Raw food

Thanks for all the input.