Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old August 16th, 2004, 05:52 PM

Question Olympics

I'm watching from Korea and don't get a lot of Canadian coverage -- are there ANY contenders this time around??? Who should I be watching for, and particularly which events? I thought we'd be strong in swimming, but they do show swimming events here a lot and haven't seen any particularly promising Canadians yet! Is it going to be Sydney all over again? Just kidding -- I'm proud of our athletes just for being there, and they sure did get a good reception during the opening ceremonies!
Old August 16th, 2004, 09:08 PM

Come on guys, someone must care a little about the olympics????
Old August 16th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yes I have been watching Moon But off and on!

Our mens baseball team may do quite well, let hope

I'm personally waiting for track and field, my favourite!! Then nobody better bother me, I have the remove as with boxing!!
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Chocolate

i've boycott the olympics. not only bc they stopped airing DAYS for 2 wks, but bc of Greece killed all those stray dogs months ago in order to clean up their streets.

Old August 17th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

With worrying about family and friends dealing with hurricane Charley in Florida, and catching up on pets.ca, I completely forgot about the Olympics....lol no joking, I normally watch the summer Olympics when they are on. I don't even know what network they are on this time.... hmmmmm.....
Old August 17th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Not really interested in it,except that american swimmer guy he is pretty hot...
Old August 17th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Hmm... thanks for the responses. Learned something though -- pet people are not necessarily into the olympics!!!

You're right, Luba -- track and field is where it's at -- when that starts, hopefully I'll be able to see some more Canada on TV here! It's sooo frustrating to be subjected to highlights on the American Forces Channel that show almost NOTHING but U.S. althletes and the Korean channels which try to balance a bit, but they definitely show WAY too much archery, judo, etc. as they are very strong in those sports. So frustrating!

Waggie, is that true about the dogs? I still wouldn't boycott watching the Olympics personally, but it is good to let people know that it happened... Terrible! Makes me wonder what kinds of abuses will take place in China, not just to animals but to people, in prep for the Olympics.
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Chocolate

the competitors did that IN Greece?

it was done in Greece none the less.... where's that MSN Barf emoticon??!

Old August 18th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

I've been watching some of it,but it seems to be an Australia-USA-China show.
I love to watch gymnastics,but some of these girls look like muscled little dwarfs,especially the Chinese
Also diving and swimming.....awww,those beautiful bodies(bad,bad old lady!!).
I have yet to see any Swedes,but I guess we are better at other things
I think the coverage as usual is a bit biased,they only show one gymnast from each country and the commercials are driving me bonkers.....too many snackies
I too am looking forward to Track and Field!!
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontamara
Learned something though -- pet people are not necessarily into the olympics!!!
LOL umm moontamara have you checked out those live internet tv channels

humm well i taught i'd see what CBC was streaming..but i got this

"Listen to CBC Radio
Due to International Olympic Committee (IOC) restrictions regarding the online transmission of Olympic Games coverage, CBC.ca is prohibited from streaming any live or on-demand audio/video files that may include protected Olympic material."
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Thanks anyway, Ironknight!

Yay, track and field! Actually, I think we'll miss most of that as we'll be on our honeymoon (yep gettin' married to my husband this weekend -- woo hoo -- not just a paper marriage anymore)

Hey, I think I just hijacked my own thread!
Old August 18th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

i am sporadically watching, i only watch the stuff im interested in. well moon, you had a nice girl in the shooting, sadly she was beaten by the AUSSIE. you have some pretty good gymnasts too. but as far as the pool goes, well no one can beat our thorpy, 5 golds, now what a champ
'come on aussie come on, come on. come on aussie, come on'
'aussie, aussie, aussie, oi, oi, oi" .
(china, lets not go there, we have 4 years to depress ourselves over that one, disgusting human rights abuse, and the international community says " why china, you do what you like, kill baby girls, we dont care, by giving you the olympics we are aproving of you on an international scale, ahhhhh, sorry touchy stuff )

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE, OI, OI, OI
Old August 18th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

It's another topic,but I do so agree with you about China.I just hate to think what is going to happen to the girl-gymnast who fell on her face,to them,an absolute disgrace
Old August 18th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Senior Contributor

you saw that too, oh my god, that poor girl, it must have hurt so much. ouch, when i saw it i said ouch aloud. sorry chico i was refering to another horrific human rights abuse that is practiced in china due to the one child policy, but i wont spoil the thread by going there. i will talk about it another time, dont you worry bout that.

but yay for ian thorpe (5 times gold medalist this week alone), our little thorpedo, lol
oh we are so proud of our athletes, and we love it when they cry, makes it all the more special *snif*

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE, OI, OI, OI
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Sort By Total Medals Gold Medals Silver Medals Bronze Medals Countries Sports

Country Total Medals Gold Silver Bronze
United States 29 10 10 9
China 22 11 7 4
Australia 16 6 4 6
Russia 15 3 6 6
Japan 13 8 3 2
France 10 3 3 4
Germany 10 3 2 5
South Korea 10 2 5 3
Italy 9 3 4 2
Netherlands 9 2 3 4
Ukraine 7 5 1 1
Great Britain 6 0 2 4
Cuba 5 0 1 4
Hungary 4 1 2 1
Poland 4 1 2 1
Slovakia 4 1 2 1
Greece 3 2 0 1
Romania 3 2 0 1
Turkey 3 2 0 1
Bulgaria 3 1 0 2
Thailand 3 1 0 2
North Korea 3 0 2 1
Georgia 2 1 1 0
South Africa 2 1 1 0
Switzerland 2 1 0 1
Austria 2 0 2 0
Belarus 2 0 1 1
Czech Republic 2 0 1 1
Zimbabwe 2 0 1 1
Belgium 2 0 0 2
Brazil 2 0 0 2
United Arab Emirates 1 1 0 0
India 1 0 1 0
Indonesia 1 0 1 0
Portugal 1 0 1 0
Serbia and Montenegro 1 0 1 0
Spain 1 0 1 0
Argentina 1 0 0 1
Azerbaijan 1 0 0 1
Canada 1 0 0 1
Colombia 1 0 0 1
Croatia 1 0 0 1
Denmark 1 0 0 1
Mongolia 1 0 0 1
Slovenia 1 0 0 1

Last Updated Wed. Aug 18, 5:36 PM

Yipee America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:01 PM

Yep, pooooor Canada!!! I'm happy for Australia, though. Amazing results, especially thanks to your golden boy (he's a cutie too!) Melanie, I'm 1000% (yep, that's one thousand intentionally, not just an extra zero by mistake) in agreement with you about China. I was horrified by that decision, and am worried what will take place in prep. I know that in Korea bad stuff happened before Seoul 1988 -- things like homeless people being swept under carpets and such, and China seems likely to do much worse than that, but we'll see....
Old August 19th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Isnt he though,yummy
Old August 19th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

bloody hell, i didnt realise we were doing so well, yay aussies. ian thorpe (thorpedo) is good looking, but he is a sissy boy, he has his own line of mens underwear and is modeling, but he is still spunky (in real life the man is huge, so tall).
heidi, if you do the maths and tally those medals based on the size of your population, the number of athletes each population actually has and the general size of the country, sadly well usa is not in the lead, it is highly likely new zealand or a similar very small country. but they dont tally medals like that do they, you could have 3billion ppl in one country and 500000ppl in the next and of course the bigger place will be ahead, it has the larger pop and more athletes so they look like their winning, but not in the statistics war and that is what counts to me .
we looooooooove gold. and we love a good ole aussie battler, making thier childhood dreams reality *snif*

aussie, aussie, aussie, oi, oi, oi
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

I for one have been watching Olympics every night,but I choose to watch the Buffalo Channel,The Canadian channel 5,has too many interviews with hasbeens,too many commercials....
Anyway,I was absolutely ashamed of Perditas behaviour after the fall,not because the pumped-up darling of Canadian media failed,but because of the fact,that not once did she apologize to the Russian runner she also knocked out of the race...
She of course was front-page news,while the real winners Lori-Anne Muenzer(cycle Gold) and Despatie (Silver for diving),Shefelt for his Gold medal(floor exercise),hardly got the same coverage.
Oh well,it's all a game,Olympic that is
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:47 AM

HTML Code:
 ian thorpe (thorpedo) is good looking, but he is a sissy boy
Melanie you crack me up.
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Mel, Oi oi oi ?? Is that a national cheer?

At first I thought you were doing a pig call!
Old August 25th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

did anyone watch the walking? it is the strangest event of all, such a strange way to use the human body and it looks really uncomfortable.

cinnabear, no relly, he is a total girl, and a big fat sissy boy. he is the golden boy here so that gets alot of good and bad support, oh thorpedo (5 gold this olympics alone), he has lines of underwear and mens cosmetics, oh boy that is not overly tough to me but he has the loveliest pair of shoulders around, ohhhh yum. like many young boys, my nephew tells me he will be the next thorpy, he had better be a tougher one .

my pig call goes like this- SUUUUuuuueeeeeee. that is my call how bout yours and i must say it has never failed me

now take a moment, lean back and yell
'AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE, OI,OI,OI'
now doesnt that feel good??
that is our unoffial national chant and can be heard globally. we do it for just about anything or any event, even a birth gets me going. and when done on mass, just a wonderful sound.

oh give us more gold, ahhhrrr me harties , our girls are kicking butt this time, yay for our girls...
Old August 26th, 2004, 04:34 AM

Exclamation

now take a moment, lean back and yell
'AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE, OI,OI,OI'
Melanie ! You guys didnt do much of that after the last Rugby World Cup ! Only teasing !
Old August 28th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

well no stewart, my husband certainly wasnt doing any of that, lol. i think he shed a sad tear instead . well i am totally anti rugby, it takes over my house every winter and turns my husband into a zombie mute that only has eyes for tv. (australians do go a little over the top with rugby ahhh) but sadly it is better than cricket, yes cricket, i would rater chissel out my left eye with a blunt tea cup that watch cricket, oh i think hell is nothing but a series of boxing day test matches played over and over again