Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 25th, 2010, 08:35 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

that that's all it is! Good news, Goldfields!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, but although it's good news so far, I can't shake the feeling that it could be serious. She's such a gentle soul, I can't imagine life without her.
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:58 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I know the feeling Just try to take it a day at a time and enjoy every minute with her!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM

Worried!

Hi everyone,
I have spent the last couple hours reading this entire thread, and I don't know what to think. I have a 3 year old greyhound named Charlie Brown, who I adopted this past September (2009). He has had some reverse sneezing and regular sneezing off and on for almost the entire time I've had him. I thought it was allergies, so I cleaned my apartment and that seemed to help. He also had some skin irritation, so I started giving him acidophilius capsules and fish oil with his food, and his skin has been much better. It's pollen season in Florida, and I noticed Charlie sneezing noticeably more than usual this week, but for the past 2 days, he's started his morning with a nosebleed. Not too severe, but this morning it was worse than yesterday, and I keep finding small blood spots on the floor all around the house. He's eating, playing, sleeping, and breathing normally, though, so I hate to assume the worst. I've made an appointment for a vet exam tomorrow afternoon--I hope it's just allergies. He's so young--just turned 3 in February! I have heard that nasal cancers are more common in long-nosed breeds like collies, and he's got a long nose for sure. I know there's not much I can do until he sees the vet tomorrow, but reading all of your stories made me feel like I had to do something, if only it was sharing with people who understand the fear of the unknown. Thanks everyone for reading!
Attached Images

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Charlie Brown is certainly a handsome dude, Charlie'sMom! Such a beautiful face! And very lucky to have found you! (He looks marvelous in that bandanna, btw!)

He is a lot younger than most of the dogs that you read about in this thread. that he just has an awn up his nose or is having some sort of allergic reaction.

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow afternoon. I hope and pray you get good news at the vet! Please let us know how it goes, and give Charlie a big hug from hazel!

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a scare with my red cattle dog, Perkins, the Summer before last. I was fairly sure it was a grass seed but after having his nasal passages flushed out with saline and still the sneezing went on, I started thinking of a nasal tumour. He was an old dog and had had other cancers removed, one off his neck, one off his sheaf. However, just occassional sneezing for quite a while, no nose bleeds, then one day I actually witnessed him give a BIG sneeze and guess what, he's been just fine ever since. I do hope Charlie might be so lucky, he's a very handsome boy. Did you also read that 10 is the average age for dogs to get this dreadful cancer? That's why I'm worrying about my Sheltie now, she has just had her 10th birthday.
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:26 AM

Thank you, Hazel and Goldfields!

No nosebleed this morning, as of yet--I'm headed to work before the vet's appointment, and I hope he stays normal! I know I probably shouldn't be as worried, because he is only 3, but you know how moms are

I'll keep you guys updated...
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:31 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I never had so many gray hairs and worry-lines before we started adopting dogs. *sigh* But I wouldn't have it any other way! (Except to have them 100% healthy all the time, of course! )

Good luck at the vet today!

Old March 29th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Wait and see

So, we went to the vet Saturday--he's a really nice guy who's into holistic medicine, Chinese traditional medicine, and even accupuncture for dogs! He examined him thoroughly and decided that the bleeding was not due to a tooth issue. He also didn't find any swollen lymph nodes. Charlie's heart rate and pulse and everything else seems normal--he's an otherwise healthy and happy dog. From what I told the vet about Charlie's sneezing, reverse sneezing, and nosebleeds, he decided that Charlie could just be experiencing some respiratory system distress in general. Before spending a ton of my money on expensive diagnostic tests (MRI, x-rays, CT scans, etc.) he suggested that I first change Charlie's diet a little and give him some Chinese herbal respiratory system supplements. He also gave me some Yunnan Bai Yao, which is an herb that may help to stop bleeding. I'm supposed to report back to him within a month and let him know how Charlie is feeling. I do hope that a lifestyle change will help--eating more raw or cooked "real" food instead of just dry food, plus the supplements. I know that these things will take time to work. Charlie hadn't had a nosebleed since last week, but last night when I was throwing his tennis ball for him in the backyard, I noticed a drop of blood on my shoe. I had a hard time stopping the game of fetch in order to check and see whether the blood was coming from one or both nostrils, but after wiping his nose and taking a closer look, I could see that the blood was coming from his left nostril only. I know this is worse than bilateral bleeding, so I'm trying not to worry and thinking that maybe he just needs more time to let the herbs work for him. Anyway, we're in the "wait and see" phase of treatment--if he continues to have nosebleeds, I may have to go to step 2, which would be more expensive and invasive for Charlie. Has anyone ever been successful with herbal medicine? What are your thoughts?
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:57 AM
-

I hope the vet did some blood work to rule out any blood disorders first. Yunnan Bai Yao is a pretty powerful herb

If you haven't come across this yet, it is a good link which explains testing and blood disorders. http://www.vspn.org/vspnsearch/aow/b...gdisorders.htm
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm not sure I've talked to anyone who's tried eastern protocols for nosebleeds, Charlie'sMom. There are a number of members who have tried homeopathic remedies for other ailments with very good results, though.

Did the vet run any blood panels?

I hope the treatment does the trick for Charlie

Old March 29th, 2010, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the replies, Hazel and Mum,

No, the vet did not do any blood testing...do you think it's worth having those done right away?
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie'sMom View Post
Thanks for the replies, Hazel and Mum,

No, the vet did not do any blood testing...do you think it's worth having those done right away?
It might be worth having them done now. There may possibly be something going on that will show in the blood--around here, for instance, we have ticks which can pass on ehrlichiosis and anaplasmosis. Both of those diseases can show up in bloodwork as low platelet/low WBC counts. Low platelets can contribute to bleeding. So blood tests might give you some good information. If nothing else, it might give you a baseline for later tests.

Old April 6th, 2010, 06:06 AM

My Poor Jay

Jay, or Tooks as we call him, began sneezing about a month ago. We noticed some nasal discharge and also his eyes began pointing outward. Then we noticed his mucus was pinkish and took him to get treated. The first vet ran a blood test with all the results coming back fine and administered some antibiotics in case it was a fungal infection. However, his health continued to degrade so we took him to a second vet. The second vet also suggested a fungal infection but then told us it might be a mass. He also gave us antibiotics for two weeks as well as pain medication.

Then things really got bad. Jay can no longer eat or drink by himself. He will drink from a ladle and eat from a syringe. He gets up at times and wanders around in circles. His gait is wobbly, and he often appears disoriented. The blood dripping from his nose has become more frequent and thicker.

It's so painful to witness this. My mother and I barely have a moment when we are not crying. I couldn't sleep at all tonight, and she barely sleeps because she is taking care of him at her house.

We haven't done x-rays or anything, and I don't know that we should. To me, it seems pretty obvious now that he has a nasal tumor that is extending to his brain (which is causing the disorientation and wobbly walk). Though he hasn't had any seizures yet.

My mom keeps saying that she isn't ready to give him up, but I think he might be ready to go, or at least he is ready but doesn't realize he is ready because of the tumor.

This is almost unbearable. My dog was the friskiest, most charismatic dog alive. I miss his energy, his free-spirit, and his loving gaze.

uhhh... this is going to be so hard.
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:01 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm so sorry you and your Mom are having to deal with this, Tooks. It does sound like it may be time to let Jay go. He's not eating on his own, seems uncomfortable, is disoriented...he may be suffering.

At the very least, can you find the strength to take him to the vet? There might be something they can do to make him more comfortable, and they can also give you an independent and objective assessment of his quality of life.

I know how hard it is to let them go. Been there a few times and I know how difficult it is to make that final decision. Our vets have been very understanding and helpful to us when we've been in your situation. yours will be able to help you, too.

And, if it turns out that it is time, try to find the strength to be with him at the end. It's one of the hardest things you'll ever do, but it's one of the greatest gifts you can give your boy--to ease his way across feeling your love the whole way.

Be strong. I wish you peace of mind and an easy heart You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

Old April 10th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Shady is in trouble again. Not nose bleeds but an obvious infection again in her right nostril, if it ever went away. It couldn't show up before the weekend so I could take her back to the vet, these problems always show up on weekends or public holidays, have you noticed? It's a greenish discharge now. Her bark worries me too, for a while now it's been weaker. Roll on Monday so I can ring my vet.
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hope the vet can get Shady in right away on Monday, Goldfields!

Old April 10th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, I'll be seriously annoyed with him if he won't fit her in. I could never complain when he was helping me for yearswith a dog that needed support casts. Because another clinic decided to not do any large animal work he once had to do the opposite, take on all the large animals and leave small animals to other vets at his clinic. However, HE was the only vet who knew how to do her casts, and on phoning I'd be told "he doesn't do small animal work now", but when I told them to ask HIM, he never once knocked her back or put her off till another day. A really good guy in other words. If he is very busy, since he knows what ails Shady, he may just post out more antibiotics. We''ll see.
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's a comfort to have a vet who will accommodate you! Ours are pretty good about returning calls and making time, too.

Old April 11th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Not only is my guy a very caring vet, Hazel, it's well known he tries to keep prices down, regardless that his wife wants them to go up. I left my previous vet after being charged $170 for an $80 anaesthetic and twice they rang and begged me to come back because of course with all my animals I was probably one of their best customers. Not on! I won't be ripped off that way.
Old April 20th, 2010, 02:38 PM

Just an update on my Baby Tyson. Its been a few months and Tyson did really well on the Deramaxx for about 2 months. Sadly it seems that either it is no longer working or the mass is getting bigger. The reverse sneezing comes and goes and this week his nose started to bleed slightly again. I also hear that his nostril is partially block when he breaths and he seems to sneeze more now. I really was hoping that it would all just go away but now I'm really really beginning to fear the worst. The hardest part is looking at him and knowing other than this condition he seems fine. I'm so heartbroken that I find it hard to keep myself composed most of the time.....
Old April 20th, 2010, 02:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm sorry the deramaxx isn't working anymore.

How is he feeling otherwise? Behaving normally? Eating well? Still drinking? Still happy to play?

Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

AKALynzie, I do sympathise with you. Poor Tyson. I'm just as worried about Shady. I had her back to the vet yesterday to have an inflamed cyst on the side of her foot looked at, and the minute she was out to it he took another long look up her nostril. He thinks there is a mass there but because there was infection(already being treated with antibiotics), followed by a bleed, he didn't get a clear look at it. Not good news though.
He took the cyst off her foot then. That has to heal as an open wound as it was impossible to stitch, so that's another thing I will be worried sick about .
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm sorry to hear that, Goldfields. I hope the foot heals of fast at least!

Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I thought she'd be lame, Hazel, but she's walking on it well. Only problem is that it has got rainy so she can't go out and get her bandaged foot wet. Putting a boot on over it would only hurt her.We have a gazebo set up for things like this, with sides on it and a fence around it , so I carry her out and put her on dry ground and shut her in there to toilet. It's a handy area for shelties when it's wet, or in Summer when it's very hot. A shady toileting area. Our ground here gets very hot in Summer. I've seen her doing a lizard impression on hot ground. Don't know if you've seen it but there is a little desert lizard that lifts one foot at a time to cool it.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I have seen those lizards.

If you can find a heavy plastic bag (we use zip-lock sandwich bags) you can slip it over her bandage like a booty and use a rubber band to keep in on long enough for her to go outside in the rain

Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:13 PM
Senior Contributor

It's really something strong enough I need to last for her whole, normal, exercise time. He only wanted her kept quiet for 24 hours. I'll have to think about it. Wish it was this easy to do something for her nasal problem.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

If you double up the zip-lock bags (or find a heavier bag, like an old IV bag with the top cut off), it should be good for half an hour if she's not going to be on cement or other abrasive surface.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:21 PM
Senior Contributor

It might sound funny but the heavy plastic fresh fish is wrapped in here may be strong enough. I had a very good supply for my old bitch that used to have support casts, although I may have ditched it once we put her in boots. that I have some still in amongst all the boots.
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:09 PM

Today was a really Bad day...the Vet showed me that the Cancer has spread into the upper part of his mouth. I've noticed changes in his eating and playing and had a feeling.... Now we just have to watch and pray. I am going to have to face the worst soon..... I just am going to go day by day...
Cancer is an evil disease that destroys everything in its path...including our so beloved pets. Pray for a cure....