Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 28th, 2004, 05:35 PM

Worms in kittens and my older cat hates me

I have a cat, Ross, she is 6 years old and has had, for the most part, the run of the house her entire life. I recently got a kitten who was abandoned, her name is Rival. I've had Rival now for a little over 2 months and Ross has gotten used to her. She hates me now. Everytime she walks by me she hisses, snorts, and growls. What can I do? I've given her extra treats and lovin. Created her higher place to sit in the house. I've even let her have wet food whenever she acts like she wants it. Any suggestions?

As for the Rival. She has been sick most of the time I've had her. She was less than 5 weeks old when she was abandoned. I fell fortunate that she has made it so far. She has had worms now for 5 weeks. I have taken her to the vet and they gave me the medicine to give her once a week. After about day 4 it seems like the worms have cleared up but without fail by day 7 they are back. Anything else I can do. She seems to feel fine but I am worried that Ross will somehow get sick. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Old September 28th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Your cat doesn't hate you. She is disturbed and stressed by the new kitten and is taking out her stress on whatever is handy, like you.

Maybe you didn't introduce them slowly, but just brought the kitten home and presented it to your older cat?

You need to start over. Keep the kitten in a room with it's stuff, and let your other cat get used to the smell of it before letting it out.

As for the worms, it doesn't make sense that they come back! Does your other cat go out, and do they share a litter box?
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:45 AM

I don't understand either

Both cats are inside cats. I don't understand it either. I feel so bad for the little one because even though she acts fine you have to imagine she's not as comfortable as she can be. The bad thing is, is that I have to go out of town next week for work and will be gone for a few weeks at a time. She'll of course stay at her "grandparents" house. The medicine that I have been giving her (the vet gave it to me) is Pyrantel. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm getting very concerned. Especially since I will be away. Any suggestions??????
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Talk to your vet again. Tell him/ her what you told us. Maybe they will be able to do something else about the worms. As for Ross, don't worry about her, if my dog and cat ended up being buddies, so will they, they just need time.