Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 24th, 2004, 08:36 PM

Question Red spots

I have a five month old boxer. He is white with a big brindle patch on his eyes. The last 2 weeks I have noticed that he has 4 red dry spot on him. We checked to see if it was ring worm and it was not. Any suggestions what it might be?They don't seem to itch or bother him at all. Thanks for your time
Old September 25th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you show us a picture of the spots?
Old September 25th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Sammi

How did you check for ringworm? Did the vet use a "woods" light?
A picture would be great if you can supply one
Old September 26th, 2004, 07:56 AM

my dog has similar spots on his belly and inner hind leg. the vet said it was a bacterial infection of some kind. he prescribed an ointment to apply to the affected areas and anti biotics. The spots disappeared in a couple of days.
Old September 27th, 2004, 03:34 PM
banned user

What about mites ( mange) maybe you can have your vet do a skin scrap and see if they find anything. Sometimes they itch and others not bad at all. I have a dog with mange right now and I do give him pills for itching other times he is fine. Check for dryness on tips of ears and inside back legs or around face or neck. Good Luck, I know how it feels to watch as Blaze has had this for months.
Old September 27th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Our puppy had red spots all over his belly. We managed to get rid of them on our own, without a vet visit. Does you dog scratch and chew his self? Does his skin appear to be really dry? If so he could have allergies. Try putting him on a Lamb & Rice formula. Iams is a good brand but spendy. Pedigree has it too. Also try putting socks on his feet if scratching is a problem.If chewing is a problem, put listerine AROUND the area he is chewing, if there is a wound, or use tabasco sause if there isn't. That stoped our puppy from chewing off his fur. I would advise a vet visit as well.
I would like to see a picture of the spots, if possible. That would make it easy for me to see if they are the same type of spots that our puppy had. He got the spots at about 5-6 months of age. and it took about a month to get rid of them. Also try a flea bath. Can't hurt him and. Use Hartz Flea Rid. It doesn't smell as bad as some flea shampoos, and it works really well. It is the only one I have ever used on my pets.
Old September 27th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

There are so many things that it could be I would visit your vet just to eliminate some of the causes. One trip to the vet could get you the answer right away and take care of it. It could be an infection or maybe something as minor as hot spots. Let us know how it turns out.
Old September 27th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Iams is a good brand but spendy. Pedigree has it too.
These are NOT good brands to recommend, Pedigree in particular, for any dog, let alone a dog who already has skin problems.

White boxers are the result of very poor breeding practices, and can have many problems, including eye and skin problems.

Quote:
If chewing is a problem, put listerine AROUND the area he is chewing, if there is a wound, or use tabasco sause if there isn't. That stoped our puppy from chewing off his fur. I would advise a vet visit as well.
You are giving very bad advice. The vet visit should be first on the list. Also, I do NOT recommend anyone using Hartz flea products, or any products by that company.