Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Old March 14th, 2005, 04:02 PM

New fish tank. Need help.

I have just set up my 35 gallon fish tank. Right now of course there is nothing in it, I just have it filtering and heating. I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on what kind of freshwater fish I should get. I have a betta and a goldfish right now in another tank and they can be left seperate if need be but I would like to put them into the 35 if possible. I'm not really sure what kind of fish can be put together. I'm not even sure if a betta and a goldfish can go together but these two seem to get along fine, there hasn't been any fin nipping or agressivness that I have seen. I also have a few cleaner fish that will go into the 35 and a couple of fish that I have no idea what they are, but they live well with bettas and goldfish, they are about an inch long. I was looking at some angel fish but i'v heard conflicting things about angels and bettas. I'v read that angels and bettas can live together happily, but i'v also heard that they can't be together because angels are fin nippers. I just want everyone in my tank to get along. Any suggestions on some pretty fish that will get along together would be great. Thanks.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Aren't bettas supposed to kill any fish they encounter? Maybe I'm thinking of a different fish...
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:06 PM
<-----nut ball

I saw a book in the pet store about fish. it explaines what type of fish are good for what reasons. For instance, certain fish are fish that like to be only at the bottom. Others like the top. Aparently you should have a mix of fish that like the top, middle, and bottom.

I also heard that if you are going to get live plants (highly recommended) that you get those first, and I think the fish book I saw talked about plants as well.
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Betta fish (males) can only be one male per tank, unless the tank is HUGE - and I mean HUGE. Males will attack and kill each other. They will also attack and try to kill any Betta female if they're not ready to breed. Males will also attack females after breeding has taken place. Many females can be put per tank, but only one Betta fish if it's a male.

Angel fish are fin nippers and will try to nip the fins of any other fish in the tank. Slower fish would be at high risk of being nipped.

Goldfish (in my opinion) are best left to smaller tanks that are easier to clean. Goldfish are known for three things: looking pretty, eating & pooping. Not much else.

If you'd like more information, I can PM you with fish that I'd recommend, and have had great success with in the past. Or, post which fish you'd like more information about and I'll see what I can reply with for you.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Bettas are tropical fish that need water that is at least 80 degrees, while goldfish are coldwater fish. They should not be kept together. When the goldfish gets bigger it will likely swallow the betta anyway.

In addition to fiercely fighting each other, male bettas may also attack any other brightly coloured, neon or red fish, like guppies.

When I first started keeping fish I made many blunders that resulted in dead fish. The most common mistake is overstocking a tank.

A 35 gal tank is only big enough for one or two medium sized goldfish. They are heavy feeders and make big messes, and putting more in will result in sickness and eventual death.

If you want a tropical fish tank, don't put goldfish in. There are many suitable tropical fish for a tank that size. Live plants are very difficult to keep alive and healthy and goldfish will destroy them immediately. Realistic plastic plants are better.

Decide what kind of tank you want - single species, community, tropical or coldwater. Then you can make your choices, or we can give suggestions on how to have a nice and peaceful display!!

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; March 14th, 2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Good point about the warm/cold water factors LR. I completely forgot to mention that. I could talk about aquariums all day if anybody'd listen.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:54 PM

I have a hard time deciding because I hear all sorts of different conflicting things about fish especially bettas. I heard and read that female bettas will kill the males. I also heard that they live in 75-82 degrees F, and read that goldfish can live in the lower end of that temp. I was also told that a good rule is one inch of fish to a gallon. so like a ten gallon could have ten one inch fish or five five inch fish. And sorry i messed up the tank size it's 40gal. I used to keep saltwater fish but maintaining the tank is very difficult so I decided to get freshwater until i move out and then maybe start a saltwater tank. My uncle is a big fish person but really only knows about salt tanks, he used to have two beautiful 155gal built right into his wall, one on top of the other,and one had an amora eel in it. Also my goldfish is only suposed to get to about 2 inches long, right now it's about an inch. is that unusual? is it a drawf goldfish or something? Also I should have specified that my tank is about as long as a 20gal but really deep.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old March 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie467
I heard and read that female bettas will kill the males. I also heard that they live in 75-82 degrees F, and read that goldfish can live in the lower end of that temp. I was also told that a good rule is one inch of fish to a gallon. so like a ten gallon could have ten one inch fish or five five inch fish. And sorry i messed up the tank size it's 40gal. Also my goldfish is only suposed to get to about 2 inches long, right now it's about an inch. is that unusual? is it a drawf goldfish or something? Also I should have specified that my tank is about as long as a 20gal but really deep.
Ok....I've actually bred Bettas before and can handle the Betta question.
The male Betta fish is the agressor. The male will attack and try to kill the female if they're put in the same tank....so....don't do it. The male is only socialable with fish from other species. One male per tank, unless you have a massive tank (like Trinitie said before). As was also said...you can have more than one female per tank. They'll establish a pecking order and keep each other in check.

I would not put a goldfish in a heated tank. Since goldfish are cold water fish, the heat can cause them stress and make for an unhealthy fish.

You're right about the 1 inch of fish per gallon, but don't fill up your tank right away. Don't get an algea eating fish yet....there's nothing for them to eat. Well...I guess you could get algea tablets if you really wanted to.

Your type of tank (tall and a bit narrow) is perfect for fish that live at different levels. Go to the library and take out some books on tropical fish....or do some online research. Many fish websites will give advice on what types of fish can live with each other. I've had Angels before.....and you don't want to see what they can do to other fish...trust me!!!

Your goldfish isn't a dwarf....they grow slowly, and only to the size their tanks will allow.

If you need any more help....feel free to PM if you want.