Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 4th, 2002, 12:11 PM

Cat urinating in dog's basket

Our female cat of 2+ has taken to urinating in our dog's basket. The first time I presumed it was an accident but since washing the pillow (part of the basket) she has urinated again, once on the pillow and once on the side of the basket.

She and the dog are great friends and very affectionate to one another. Both pets get an enormous amount of affection from the family. The cat has her own basket which she sleeps in.

She is an indoor cat and has her own litter box, which she does use. The litter is kept clean and we have not changed the brand recently.

Any ideas?
Old June 17th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Cat urinating in dog's basket answered by N. Kitching

Hi Lesli,

Your cat is showing it's affection for your dog by spraying the dog's bed. "I'm here. You're my best friend." Even if you took the bed away, the cat will continue to spray where ever the dog lies.

Where are their beds? Are they side by side? A cat won't spray it's own bed. You could encourage your dog to lie partially on the cat's bed -- depending on it's size.

One way of doing this is to place a treat on the cat's bed so your dog will either sit or lie down on it. The idea being -- the dog will be in the cat's bed. You could even rub the cat and dog's beds together to get the scent transferred.

There are spays on the market which are quite effective that will discourage your cat from spraying. Spray around the dog's bed -- not on it.

Any of the above is worth a try.

© Nancy Kitching 2002

Nancy Kitching
Dog Trainer Member of CAPPT, CKC, OKC (Ottawa Kennel Club),
and Bytown Obedience Club in Ottawa.
156 Fairhaven
Hudson, Quebec J0P 1H0

Tel: 450-458-3165

Our female cat of 2+ has taken to urinating in our dog's basket. The first time I presumed it was an accident but since washing the pillow (part of the basket) she has urinated again, once on the pillow and once on the side of the basket.

She and the dog are great friends and very affectionate to one another. Both pets get an enormous amount of affection from the family. The cat has her own basket which she sleeps in.

She is an indoor cat and has her own litter box, which she does use. The litter is kept clean and we have not changed the brand recently.

Any ideas?
Old July 15th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Lab Loverr

well our 10 y/o cat pees/ poops when she gets the chance to... on anything that smells like our 17 wk old puppy, and i can assure you it isnt because she's best friends with him... its more of a territorial thing in our case.. mind you it is disgusting.
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:49 PM

Re: Cat urinating in dog's basket answered by N. Kitching

I'm sorry, but this is tripe. This is about marking territory, or a medical ailment, not some new age kitty love fantasy.

It is often a behaviour by cats who are upset at a change in their life.

It can also be caused by a bladder infection, so if it continues it's well worth getting the vet to take a look.

Quote:
Originally posted by petdr
Hi Lesli,

Your cat is showing it's affection for your dog by spraying the dog's bed. "I'm here. You're my best friend." Even if you took the bed away, the cat will continue to spray where ever the dog lies.

Where are their beds? Are they side by side? A cat won't spray it's own bed. You could encourage your dog to lie partially on the cat's bed -- depending on it's size.

One way of doing this is to place a treat on the cat's bed so your dog will either sit or lie down on it. The idea being -- the dog will be in the cat's bed. You could even rub the cat and dog's beds together to get the scent transferred.

There are spays on the market which are quite effective that will discourage your cat from spraying. Spray around the dog's bed -- not on it.

Any of the above is worth a try.

© Nancy Kitching 2002

Nancy Kitching
Dog Trainer Member of CAPPT, CKC, OKC (Ottawa Kennel Club),
and Bytown Obedience Club in Ottawa.
156 Fairhaven
Hudson, Quebec J0P 1H0

Tel: 450-458-3165

Any ideas?
Old April 27th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Uh.. no.

Having been around or owned cats for 20 years I've seen this behavior many times. This cat is not happy about something. Some cats are naturally more jealous and need a specific amount of attention or don't like a recent change. If your taking care of your cat and keeping it's enviroment clean then your doing all you can. Otherwise your cat needs an attitude adjustment. Cat's are more like people in their fickleness and must be shown that they can't get away with this type of behavior. No there is nothing wrong with correcting your cat despite what others say just make sure you are patient with them before dishing out punishment.
Old December 27th, 2006, 06:08 AM

They sure do!

Cats do urinate in their own beds. I have a 14 year old female cat who will thoroughly enjoy her bed for a day or so, then she'll squat and urinate in it. At that point, she'll abandon the bed alltogether until I wash it again. I blamed the other cats for the longest time until I personally witnessed her urinating in her own bed several times.

I purchased some Feliway spray and will try spraying her bed and the area to calm her anxieties down. I have the feeling she's stressed over other cats being in the house. All of the kitties get love, pets and attention, so she must be stressed.

I'm hoping that the Feliway spray will solve the problem.
Old December 27th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
No there is nothing wrong with correcting your cat despite what others say just make sure you are patient with them before dishing out punishment
Uh, no there's nothing wrong with it if your goal is to make the behavior worse. Cats often spray because they are stressed and punishing them will only stress them more, thus making the behavior more prevalent. Feliway works pretty well to stop spraying, it releases a pheromone that calms them. When a cat is calm they are much less likely to spray.

That being said, I would take the cat to the vet for a check up. It's possible that she has a UTI and either has trouble making it to the litter box in time, or now associates the litter box with the discomfort of going pee and chooses somewhere else to go. If a UTI isn't the case at least the vet may have some helful suggestions as to how to get the cat to stop peeing in the dog bed.
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Ummm, just so everyone knows this thread is really really old and if there are new problems, it might be best to just open a new thread.
Old December 27th, 2006, 04:38 PM

stressed or senile?

The Feliway didn't work. She totally flooded in her bed again today. The thing is, she does use her litter box every day. I'll have her checked out by the vet, but sometimes I think she's just going senile.

Last edited by babykool; December 27th, 2006 at 04:41 PM. Reason: ...didn't want to offend anyone.