Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 9th, 2002, 09:42 PM

Question housebreaking a 5 month old rottweiller

my first rottweiller was a gem, housebreaking and crate training was a godsend as I was frequently out working, however my gem passed away this July. My husband and I purchased our 8 week old rottweiller(our 1st dog together)at the end of July- I was at home thinking this would be good for housebreaking however it is not working out at all. Our puppy is now over 5 months old & on a 5hr am schedule 8-1pm and a 6hr pm schedule until we get home and we were told to limit his water by 1/2 cup with his meals only - the problem is he will pee outside when we put him out but - and then on some days, with no change in schedule he will pee in his cage (we downsized his cage with wiring to make is smaller ) and he still pees in it even after after putting him outside and letting him run and play. It seems like he is doing this on purpose,. we cage trained him from day one and use it also as a time out for him when we can not supervise him - is this a behaviorial problem ? my husband and I are at our wits end , please let me know how we can rectify this situation and what is it we are doing wrong with this puppy - is he confused ? is he upset at us ? eagerly awaiting your reply...................
Old October 14th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Lab Loverr

Do you make him sleep in the crate at night?
Soon to be proud mum of Gilgamesh. (Olde English Bulldogge)

*Lab Lover [COLOR=red]<3[/COLOR]
Old October 14th, 2002, 09:30 PM

I don't think his bladder is mature enough at this age to hold on that long. The fact that he does hold on most times I would say shows that he does not really have complete control yet but is doing the best he can. My dogs have access to outdoors 24/7 so I guess it was easier for me. Good luck