Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old June 8th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Question about Czarina's behavior

She's been in the kitchen since yesterday. I've been giving her prozac since Thursday, but I don't think it's that. It's not supposed to even start working for 3 weeks.

She hasn't eaten, and I don't think she's had water. She hasn't used the litter either. She's sleeping a lot. I'm wondering if she just might feel like she's finally safe to get some good rest. The others are pretty much leaving her alone and not going to her area so she should feel free to walk around a little. I just wish she'd at least use the litter box.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

The Prozac might take a few weeks to become effective as a mood altering medication but that doesn't mean she won't experience any side effects just like humans would. The lethargy could just be from that. In humans it usually passes as do symptoms like dry mouth, etc.

I would imagine you need to mostly keep an eye on her fluids. That is certainly the most important thing to keep in check.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old June 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm concerned in that she hasn't used the litter box. She finally had a few bits of kibble, and then I managed to coax her to eat some tuna, just to get her to eat something. But she hasn't peed. I moved her bed closer to the litter to see if being near it and not having too far from the safety of her bed. If I can get her out of it again I'll pick her up and put her in there and hopefully that will trigger something.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old June 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

She is going through lots of changes again. She may need the chilling time just to chill. It will probably help her more than anything.
If you are concerned about the fluids then go grab a syringe and your electrolytes. You should be able to give her enough to keep her hydrated. Other than that

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM
cat slave

i like you...i really do. I think what you're doing is great...BUT I think you should just accept that some animals you just can't keep against their will. I remember your other posts about Czarina running away all the time when she went at someone else's house. She's an outdoor cat. That's what she does. She needs to be free.

I personally think you should just let it be. You can't drug her up to calm her down. She's probably always going to be anxious inside. It's a small space for a cat that is used to roaming around. ANd yes i'm aware of the bad lady, but I dunno, you can't protect them all. When i was little living in Eastern Europe, there were strays around all the time. You can't gather them all up to save them in case some guy runs them over or some crazy town lady poisons them or drowns them. I think the best one can do is have her spayed and let her have her freedom.

I think she sleeps that much cos she's bored and depressed. She doesn't have the entertainment she's used to.

Sorry, I hope you don't get offended.......but her finally accepting she's safe and is sleeping contently is just an assumption you're making
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Ancientgirl! dont worry about any of the comments !! you are doing what is best for your girl right now...and yes I thinks its the meds and adjustment period..give her time and you dont worry..she will be just fine..I dont think she is depressed at all..it will all work out!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorji View Post
i like you...i really do. I think what you're doing is great...BUT I think you should just accept that some animals you just can't keep against their will. I remember your other posts about Czarina running away all the time when she went at someone else's house. She's an outdoor cat. That's what she does. She needs to be free.

I personally think you should just let it be. You can't drug her up to calm her down. She's probably always going to be anxious inside. It's a small space for a cat that is used to roaming around. ANd yes i'm aware of the bad lady, but I dunno, you can't protect them all. When i was little living in Eastern Europe, there were strays around all the time. You can't gather them all up to save them in case some guy runs them over or some crazy town lady poisons them or drowns them. I think the best one can do is have her spayed and let her have her freedom.

I think she sleeps that much cos she's bored and depressed. She doesn't have the entertainment she's used to.

Sorry, I hope you don't get offended.......but her finally accepting she's safe and is sleeping contently is just an assumption you're making
So I should just accept the fact there is a woman who is capable of harming her downstairs? I should accept that fact she's known to be not right in her mind and possibly find Czarina dead one morning? It's getting more difficult to even feed her because of this woman's interference. There are other cats on the other side of the complex that are fed by other tenants, and they don't live with the danger of being poisoned by some nut.

No I can't save them all, much as I'd like to, but I'm going to do what I can to save this one. She hasn't been an outdoor cat all her life. She's spayed, so she was once cared for by someone.

I have hope in that there are others on this board who have cats in their homes that were once strays, living in the streets, and they are happily integrated into a family. So as long as there is a little bit of hope, I'll try.

She's not happy now, I know that, hence the medication. I want her to be as stress free as possible. I don't have a huge apartment, but it's enough so that they can all find a place to call their own spot.

We can agree to disagree here.

Old June 8th, 2008, 07:07 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

ancient - Just a thought. You said Czarina hasn't peed since you brought her home. She isn't used to the litter box though. The last time you had her she didn't always use it, right? Is it possible she has gone somewhere else in the kitchen or even in her little bed and you haven't found it yet? Like I said, just a thought.
Is it also possible with the meds that she just hasn't had to go? The combo of the meds and the stress of being in a "new" place.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for mentioning it, but I checked earlier when I was in there. I turned the little blanket in her bed over and it was dry, and there's no puddles in the kitchen.

When I had her before, she used the litter box to poop, she just didn't cover her poop. And she peed outside the box, because one day I realized it smelled horrible and saw that around the box it was wet.

You could be right though. The medication and stress could have something to do with it. She's drank no water that I've seen, but she did have some tuna which had a little moisture in it at least.

If she hasn't peed or pooped by tomorrow, I'll call the vet and see if that might be normal in her situation.

Old June 8th, 2008, 07:21 PM
150% PRO S/N

Dang, my memory is slipping lately! I thought before she had just not used it a few times. My bad. Sometimes I am a bit of a dweeb.

Old June 8th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL, you have enough to think about! No worries if you forget what her previous bathroom usage was.