Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 29th, 2005, 11:47 PM

Bigbill Died On May 25 & We Don't Know Why?

Big Bill Was Our 18 Month Old Black Pug That Became Suddenly Ill And Died. Bill Was Perfectly Fine All Day, We Left The House At 5pm And Returned About 8pm And Found Bill Lying On His Side With Blood And Gooey Tissue Shooting Out Of His Rectum. It Was Very Frightening, It Was Like His Insides Were Liquifying And Coming Out Of His Body!

He Was Already In Shock. We Rushed Him To The EMERGENCY ROOM VETINARIAN And They Stabilized Him With Iv Fluids, Oxygen And Warm Air. no Blood Work Or X-rays Were Performed. He Was With The Vet For Almost 3 Hours. They Told Us He Was Critical Had A 70/30 Chance At Survival.

The Vet Said That She Was About 95% Sure That He Died From A Bacterial Origin Or Trauma. (Why Didn't She Run Any Tests?)
Why Didn't Bill Show Any Signs Of Distress? This Was Quite A Violent Death.

Bill Just Had Surgery, He Was Neutered And Had A Rhinoplasty Only 6 Days Before. He Was Given 3 Vacinations, Parvo, Bortella And Rabies, On The Day Of Surgery.

the Following Words Are Most Likely Mis-spelled.

What Is vasoculiculitis?
What Is [B]Clostridium species bacteria?[/B]
Have You Heard Of [B]Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis?
Can Someone Please Help Us?

Last edited by BIGBILL; May 30th, 2005 at 12:47 AM.
Old May 30th, 2005, 12:53 PM

You'll probably want to repost that (copy and paste) into the pet health section. You'll probably get more reactions. Not everyone goes into the noobie section.

Sorry for your loss btw. My mothers had the same symptoms and it turned out to be Parvo, didn't get it's booster shot in time
Old May 30th, 2005, 01:32 PM

The only Clostridium I know of is the Clostridium Difficile that has been killing people in our hospitals in Quebec.

Here's what I found on Vasculitis:
Quote:
Vasculitis means inflammation of the blood vessels
Although the actual cause of most forms of vasculatic diseases remains unknown, certain blood components are suspected to be responsible. Immune complexes play an important role. In various connective tissue diseases, and especially in lupus, vasculitis is caused by the formation of immune complexes and autoantibodies.

And on Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis:
Quote:
Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) usually causes a very sudden onset of vomiting, bloody diarrhea, dehydration and depression. Dogs affected by this condition get very sick, very fast.

To the best of my knowledge, the exact cause of this disease is unknown. It appears that Clostridium species bacteria may be part of the cause. The disease is more frequent in small breed dogs but can occur in any dog. I am not sure what the general impression is among veterinarians, but dogs that have this problem seem to have a high risk of getting it again in our practice.

Most dogs respond very well to treatment with fluids to restore hydration. In some cases it is necessary to give plasma to correct loss of protein and antibiotics to combat the suspected Clostridium infection. In a few dogs, it is necessary to give fast acting cortisones to counter shock, which is a problem due to the very rapid onset of dehydration in dogs with HGE.

It is generally necessary to totally restrict oral food and water for one or two days when treating this problem. This makes hospitalization necessary for several days for most dogs with HGE.
Looks like that is the reason she didn't do tests. Maybe she absolutely knew what it was. I'm not saying the vaccines are the cause, but you should get the shots at least 2 weeks before any surgery. Surgery is hard on the body as are vaccines. Mixing surgery and vaccines is not a good idea.

I'm sorry for your loss, but you did all you really could for this doggy.

(by the way, the mods can move this one, you don't have to double post.)
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:54 PM

I am so so sorry for your loss. What a tragic turn of events and I can only imagine your shock walking into your home to find your dog this ill. The what ifs will kill you. I can understand needing to know what happened. I know the shorter name for one of those is C-diff. You can put it into google and read about it. It effects many people in nursing homes and hospitals. My grandma had it. They use Flagyl to treat it. I didn't know animals can get it. But I learn new things here daily. My healthy dog had routine surgery four months agao and was near death also. We were lucky that we saved him. So many things can go wrong in a surgery that throw the body out of harmony so to speak. Reactions to sutures, cauterizing, antibitotics etc. I have learned I will never know what happened exactly to our dog either. I signed papers to put him out of his suffering three times in a month and finally got him diagnosed. He is doing much better but his time is limited. I like you will never really know what happened in that surgery, I understand your frustrations. I am sorry for you loss.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
owned by Tucker

I'm sorry for your loss it must of been very hard on you to find him that way. I don't understand why they would give him his needles at the time of surgery, that doesn't make sence, I thought you had to wait so long after the needles to have selective surgery?
Old June 4th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost an 18 mo newf to total kidney failure earlier this year and I agree that the "what ifs" are really hard to deal with.
Old June 4th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

These are always heartbreaking stories to hear. I am so very very sorry to hear about that!
Old June 4th, 2005, 04:12 PM

I am really surprised that they would vacc on day of surgery,that's a lot of stress on the system.There is also a condition that can cause a piece of bowel to die and then slough off.There are all kinds of causes most common idiopathic.