Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 18th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Help puppy does good all day until the Evening

My baby (Shih Tzu) will be 4 months on Feb 20th and we have had him now for 11 days. He will go from 11 pm at night till 7 am in the morning in a crate without one accident and no whining (his crate is brought up to our room at night and back to the kitchen in the morning). I take him out at 7 am and he does his business both pee and poop.

At 9 am I feed him and about 30 - 60 mins he pees and poops again. He hasn't had a poop accident in 8 days. His pee accidents are getting better but he still seems to pees at least once a night. He lays down around 11:30 - 12:00 and sleeps until around 2:30 in his bed. He is in the crate very little during the day. What happens is around 3:30 the kids start to roll in from school and then my hubby.

He eats at 5 pm and we take him out again in 30-60 mins for another pee and poop. It seems like not matter how many times we take him out he has to pee at least once in the house. I restrict water after 8-9 pm. What am I doing wrong? He will not let us know he has to pee we have to watch him like a hawk. I even hung a bell on the back door and every time we take him out we ring the bell and say "outside potty" as of yet he still hasn't rung the bell to go out.

He is not going in the same place all the time but it's always on my rugs.

suggestions welcome.
Attached Images

Old February 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Congrates on your new pup! Sounds to me like he's doing pretty well, I've had my new pup for almost 3 months now and we still have accidents usually 1 a day. Hang in there he will get it. I am just starting to put a bell on a string by the door and everytime I take him out i will ring it first, of friend of mine did this and said that eventually her pup started to ring the bell when he wanted out!! Hopefully it will work. Also there are sprays you can buy to elimanate the smell so he wont go back there but I'm really not sure how well they work. GOOD LUCK
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:21 PM

First off....WHAT A CUTIE HE IS!!!! Congrats on your new addition!

As for the peeing in the house in the evenings.....your little one is probably very excited and forgetful when everyone gets home and he has sooooo many things to check out with his new family around. Also, he is still very young to remember that he has to ask to go out side. Just be persistent, he will clue in eventually. You might need to take him out every 30 - 60 minutes in the evening and keep up the praise and treats after he does good.

What's his name???? Gosh...did I mention he was cute???

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old February 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Hi name is Versace and he is as cute as a button. He almost reminds us of a raccoon. I think you may be right that there is far more action in the house then during the day. He already sits on command we are working on staying. I will work on keeping a eagle eye on him or put him in the crate when we are trying to get things done. Also at what time do you restrict water for a puppy and how do you know your feeding him enough. He eats nothing like the pet store said. I feed him 1/4 of a can of puppy plate can and 1/4 of a cup of dry food. Sometimes he eats it all and some times he doesn't. Most of the time it seems like just enough.
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM

In my experience Dogs are all about routine. My routine for puppies and house training is to create a schedule and stick to it. Lets say take him out every hour for about 5 minutes, if he goes praise him alot. If he doesn't no big deal bring him back in and at the next interval back outside. Eventually you can extend the length depending on his bladder control. This will help him understand that he has to go outside to do his business and he will get use to the routine. Another trick is I always have them do something before I take them out. That will help teach the dog ways to notify you that they have to go to the bathroom. With my current dog I have him sit and talk to me every time. Even at 2 1/2 years old I still have him do this everytime.

Most dogs will have some sort of tell that will let you know they have to go to the bathroom. The problem is paying attention enough to catch what the tell is.

Hope this helps!
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I would suggest that you touch his paw to the bell when you say "outside potty". Most times an increase in activity will stimulate the need to potty and pups that age just don't do well at holding it for very long. To clean the rug, use an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle to get rid of the smell. If even a tiny bit of the smell remains, it will tempt him to keep peeing in that spot.

For the food, you shouldn't worry about how much the dog eats as much as how he looks. If his weight is good then he's getting enough. Quality of the food also plays a part in how much the dog will need to eat - if it's high quality food they don't need as much as they would if it's a low quality food because more nutrients are being absorbed from the good food.
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Thanks so much. I think what I might try is crating him for a bit in the evening. This way there is less of a chance of accidents because we are busy with dinner and other things. I think I'm also allowing too much free time to run around the house. He would be out of the crate at 7 am and not return to the crate until 11 pm.

He also seems much calmer when he comes out of the crate. Before crating him he would get like a mad man around 4pm.

OK here's a question. Why can the puppy hold his urine 8 hrs in his crate at night or if I had to go out he can hold it 2 hrs but he has to pee every 1 hr when left out of the crate?
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasp615 View Post
OK here's a question. Why can the puppy hold his urine 8 hrs in his crate at night or if I had to go out he can hold it 2 hrs but he has to pee every 1 hr when left out of the crate?
I would say he holds it better at night because 1) he's crated and 2) you've limited his water for about 2-3 hours before that.

At 4 months old, he should be able to hold it for about 4-5 hours BUT that is assuming that he's got the whole potty outside thing down and I don't think your pup is quite there yet. Increased activity usually prompts them to go, so it doesn't surprise me that he wants to go more often during the day as he's up and active.

If he constantly chooses the rugs though, I'd have to wonder if he wasn't reacting to a smell in the rug (not necessarily his own).
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Thanks Kandy,

As for going on the rug it's not the same place nor the same rug. He just likes rugs...LOL

I guess I gotta remember that we have only had him two and a half weeks so I guess he is doing well. If I could just get him to go to the door when he needs to go out that would be half the battle. We always use the same door and have him go in the same spot outside.

As for his food. I think I have him on a very high quality food I'm feeding him Eagle pack puppy dry food and Merrick Puppy Plate can food. Many will say not to feed him can food but I mix it with the dry. Am I suppose to remove the can food? This is what he was on when we adopted him and he seems to do well on it? He also loves raw carrots.