Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 17th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Update!Football player is in trouble for dogfighting.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, I saw that. Total low-life. I hope they lock him up.
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

You know he has $$,so it cant be for that,he must just be a real low life to be involved or running something that sick,i hope he gets a few years myself...jerk off,loser
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Swift Tribe

we follow college football.... thats a graduate of the college Chris went to. his little brother was also *quite* the law abiding citizen. *rolls eyes* i dont know if they will lock him up but fully expect people to start boycotting their games. there is already a great deal of talk about it.

-ashley
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Swift Tribe

also, i dont know what the deal is here in the US but it seems pitbull fighting is huge. my mother thought she found a home for hers but within a few days she was getting pictures back of him in his happy new home with huge gashes from fighting another dog. just some folks down the road... no big dog fighting circle... its epidemic. whats wrong with people???

-ashley
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope your mom called animal control and the cops. They should throw there sad a$$es in jail and kick him off the team. But we all know nothing will probably happen to him. It is too bad these athletes are treated like idols.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so disgusted with the human race:sad: . And we call ourselves civilized?
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Kitty pimp

[ citizen. *rolls eyes* i dont know if they will lock him up but fully expect people to start boycotting their games. there is already a great deal of talk about it.

if he is found guilty its a felony in the states so thers a good cahnce they will

I think if he is found guilty the judge should make him fund the biggest no kill shelter they can make .

I am never really suorised on athelete,s antics most of them are just asshats
with way too much money
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

[QUOTE=Jim Hall;453405
I think if he is found guilty the judge should make him fund the biggest no kill shelter they can make .

I am never really suorised on athelete,s antics most of them are just asshats
with way too much money[/QUOTE]

Good idea Jim, plus do regular volunteer work there, long hours during the football season lol., no wait a minute, he will need to make millions to fund this place so I guess he will have to continue to play.
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Swift Tribe

there are some athletes who are fully aware of theirr power and do wonderful things with their money. there are others who are fully aware of their power and it goes to their heads and they do terrible things with their money/power.

the cynic i am, i dont have much faith in him being punished for this but i do have faith in the people who feel strongly about it making a difference.

the poor Hokies. all of this marring their good name. first Marcus Vic and his many issues- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Vick and then the shooting.... now Michael.

Hokie Hope indeed.

-ashley
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho View Post
You know he has $$,so it cant be for that,he must just be a real low life to be involved or running something that sick,i hope he gets a few years myself...jerk off,loser
I'll go delete my thread, I didn't know you had posted the same thing. I just saw it. This guy deserves to have the same cruelties done to him!
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

This guy is a real piece of work. I heard about it on the radio on my way in to work this morning. What a horrible existence those poor dogs must have had.

Cindy
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:39 AM

Angry

I have been following this story for a while....

During one of the work outs, a couple of players were asked about Vick and dog fighting... one player said that he didn't think that dog fighting was any big deal... and that in the south you could drive down any road you wanted and find a fight anywhere...

The next day that player came out and said something to the effect that he wasn't saying that it was OK to have dog fights, but just that they were everywhere in the south... and that he apologized because he didn't realize how much people could love their pets and how upset they would be about his statement.

My guess is that it goes a lot deeper than Vick and that some of his fellow team mates and players on other teams are probably also involved to some extent.

I could be wrong... but the whole tone of any interview I saw didn't seem like anyone was shocked or disgusted... it was like they were talking about lawn care or some other mundane everyday normal thing...

Also, guys in a locker room are close... They talk a lot... and you just know that if someone is involved in this that it has to come up... How could every person that heard about this stay quiet? I mean come on! It isn't like a guy talking about doing something stupid that was illegal but nonsense that you could just overlook... This is a huge deal!

Also Vick has stated the entire time that he knew nothing that was going on on his property and blamed it on his relatives... Nice guy!

But... Sports Illustrated uncovered a story that they did on him a few years back when he said that he was looking into breading pit bulls.

I say, douse him with water and electrocute him.
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:01 AM
-

That is just sickening. Those poor dogs.....what is going to happen to them now? :sad:
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
That is just sickening. Those poor dogs.....what is going to happen to them now? :sad:
i dont know. here 'in the south' there has been a big push for the Pitts For Pulling program(local). i dont know anyone who fights but from what i understand it really is a big problem. even if folks arent part of big rings they fight 'friends' dogs. *sigh* its been very hard for law enforcement to get a grip on it. :sad: its a fad. what kind of fad is that??? its like blasting your music so it not only blows out YOUR hearing but anyone else within 500 yards of you. its just the cool thing now to watch your dog rip another dog to pieces and bet on it.

-ashley
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

It's disgusting. They should all be taken aside and be made to fight each other in the same manner they did to those poor dogs.

These are less than humans if you ask me. How can you take pleasure in being involved in something like that?
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Kitty pimp

cnn running a story on dog fighting
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

It's sad and horrible, and the NFL should suspend him! Even the police suspend their own, but I guess Vick is better then a cop!!

I say strap a steak to his bare a$$ and throw him in the ring with a bunch of his hungry dogs!!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately, this is about money. And how much he can still make for his team. That's all these teams care about. If I was one of his teammates, I'd refuse to even be in the same room with him.
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:07 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancesMom View Post
The next day that player came out and said something to the effect that he wasn't saying that it was OK to have dog fights, but just that they were everywhere in the south... and that he apologized because he didn't realize how much people could love their pets and how upset they would be about his statement.
Wow , didn't realize how much people love their pets....
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19836601...wsweek/page/0/
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

It just gets worse and worse. Dangling live cats? Raping female pit bulls?

I feel the bile rising in my throat.
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Unbelieveable,people suck,i honestly am just getting to the point where people just make me sick,i was talking to mark about how much time i spend hanging with roxy and bob and momma,and i know it probably isnt what some people would consider normal,but i have to say they bring me more happiness then any human i know,i am not into going out to bars anymore,so if i am not at work or at the beach,i love love hanging out and watching the crazy **** they do.Ok that was kind of off track,bottom line is this world is turning into something really really ugly..
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho View Post
Unbelieveable,people suck,i honestly am just getting to the point where people just make me sick,i was talking to mark about how much time i spend hanging with roxy and bob and momma,and i know it probably isnt what some people would consider normal,but i have to say they bring me more happiness then any human i know,i am not into going out to bars anymore,so if i am not at work or at the beach,i love love hanging out and watching the crazy **** they do.Ok that was kind of off track,bottom line is this world is turning into something really really ugly..
My dear, I'm totally with you. I don't go out to bars, or socialize other than with a few friends. Why going to Sunday matinees is the most I do, and the book release party tomorrow is the first time I've been actually out on an evening event in AGES! I love being home with my kitties. They make me feel happy, and I love watching them.

People are scary, and they are getting scarier by the day.

Not just because of what they do to animals, but what they do to each other.

No, I'll stick with my cats keeping me company thanks.
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I forgot about movies,yeah if a good horror flick comes out i will usually go on a saturday or sunday and see it,alone,cause mark hates them,but i am a loner type anyway.And until i meet someone who can make me laugh,smile and just plain relax me like my cats do,i will continue being the CRAZY CAT LADY i am becoming,OMG.
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Express your displeasure with Nike at their e-mail of:

nike.canada@nike.com

I indicated I wouldn't be buying any more of their products until their endorsement of Vick was cancelled. If they get enough of these from Canada and the USA they will likely do something. Pet lovers are getting a letter writing campaign going so get on it!!!

Their reply from Nike Canada to myself was a lot more diplomatic than the replies I've seen to Nike USA. The reply to me:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Nike Canada.

Nike is concerned by the serious and highly disturbing allegations made against Michael Vick and we consider any cruelty to animals inhumane and abhorrent. We do believe that Michael Vick should be afforded the same due process as any citizen, therefore, we have not terminated our relationship. We have however made the decision to suspend the release of the Zoom Vick V and related marketing communications. Nike will continue to monitor the situation closely and have no further comment at this time.

Once again, thank you for contacting us here at Nike!

E-mail them and get on their case. Numbers count.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

It is disgusting! Here is a link to the Humane society's petition to get Michael Vick suspended, if you are interested.

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/...=LdNiqiM1Nbs8W

Diane
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I sent e mail and called i did get through calling to,spoke to some lady
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Ric and DMC. Done.
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I did both. I really hope they don't just allow this poor excuse for a human to get away with this.