Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Vaccinations???

I'm new-bear with me!

I have been reading some posts and seen some people sort of mentioning that they don't vaccinate their dog/cats -not as in not bothering but as if there is a reason *not to*

Is there a reason to not vaccinate?
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

It's coming to light that we've been big-time over-vaccinating our pets when we take them in for their annual shots, and that this is actually causing more harm than good. The latest "official" protocol is that they only need shots every 3 yrs, but even that may be too much. Did you see this thread on the subject?: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....t=vaccinations There are some good links in it worth checking out.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:19 PM

Thanks I'll have to check that out! And titres that people are talking about-thats testing to see how much immunity remains from the vaccine to see if it's necessary for a booster?
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes, titres typically test for antibodies. If the antibodies for a particular disease are still numerous (a high titre), then it's presumed that the animal would be able to fight off that disease.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:13 AM
-

..but of course we all vaccinate according to provincial, state and national rules.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
..but of course we all vaccinate according to provincial, state and national rules.
Ummm......actually I don't vaccinate according to the rules of my state or my city. My city requires rabies vaccines every 3 years and distemper vaccines yearly and will not take titer test results as proof of vaccination. My dogs have all had their puppy shots and their 1 year boosters, and then I decide on a year to year basis which other vaccines I think they will need. For example, Hazel had a kennel cough vaccine last year because I knew she would be going back to CSU for her final follow up visit for her TPLO but that was the only thing she got last year. None of my dogs have city tags because my city requires the proof of current vaccinations to get the tag. I'm trying to get them to allow titer tests as proof but in the meantime I am not dumping unnecessary chemicals into my dogs systems just because they say so.
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
I'm trying to get them to allow titer tests as proof but in the meantime I am not dumping unnecessary chemicals into my dogs systems just because they say so.
KUDOS !!! I think if enough people push for those kinds of things-things can change! That's great to stand up for their health like that.

I don't see why they wouldn't take a vet's test as proof If the vet's titre says he's immune -come on...
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:31 PM

mummummumm
I don't believe we even have laws here, in the wild west. No rabies in this part of the province, no heartworm, but vets still want to do the shots/pills. I don't get it.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:57 PM

Talking about dog health, vaccinations are antigenic preparations used to boost immune system and in so doing, establish immunity to various illnesses. These are given to prevent your dogs from acquiring malefic diseases and are designed to stimulate pet’s immune system, bolstering it to bring out antibodies to battle all kinds of harmful or deadly viruses or bacteria. As per me, I have no reason to think a dog immune system is different than a human's immune system. And we don't get vaccinated every year. So as my dog.
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Like TripleMMM I vaccinate according to the laws of Toronto/Ontario - and I also get the KC shot because my dog goes to daycare once a week and is occasionally boarded. He also gets the Lepto shot because I recall the Lepto outbreak in Toronto and did meet the owner of the survivor and how she was coping in keeping him a survivor. I know that some people have the titres measured as per Dr. Jean Dodd - but so far, so good with my guy. And of course he is now on Sentinel year round for Heartworm and to protect against upsets he might get from eating the grubs and other worms in the ground during our so-called warmer winters. This has paid off - despite the cost of the Heartworm meds - which I do buy from my vet.