Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 18th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Unhappy Guinea pig dilemma

From what i see on this site, its about cats and dogs, but possibly someone knows about guinea pigs. Weve had Chirpy for 3 years and recently fruit flies have invaded her cage. i have done everything I can think of to get rid of them using fly traps and such. I clean her cage thouroughly 3 times a week on the average and have been doing it more since trying to get rid of these fruit flies. I found something called flystrike on the net where flies breed in the fur, but i think this is for houseflies and we dont have those. im thinking maybe i need to bugbomb the whole house and totally get rid of them first, then disinfect the cage and see if that works.. Please if anyone has any ideas help!!!!!!!
Old June 18th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

my 2 cents

Please, no chemicals! These little creatures are highly susceptible. Fruit flies only hang around food sources, in their case anything fresh that is beginning to deteriorate. Even if we don't notice that a lettuce leaf is going a bit brown or a carrot has a slimy interior, a fruit fly can track them down. These little beasts have not outlasted the dinosaurs for nothing.
If you are using something like grass clippings for bedding material, or anything else that rots easily, it might be a good idea to switch to a commercial brand or even torn up newspaper, and give him small amounts of food several times a day, instead of having it sit there, especially in hot weather. Once you've identified the source of the problem, the fruit flies will diappear.
I had guinea pigs as a child, they are such charming creatures. Is yours a cuddler?
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

We love all animals here! I had a guinea pig named William who lived for 8 years. He wasn't the brightest bulb in the package, but he was very sweet and cute!

Badger is right - fruit flies breed in rotting food and are quite harmless. I had a few fruit flies around if my rats didn't eat all their bananas, or hid some in their nest.

If your guinea pig eats pellets, just put down enough fresh veggies that he can eat them quickly. If he doesn't, take it out and give fresh at the next feeding.
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Huh? How cool is that? Two Karins on the board.
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Oooops! Sowwy, Karin! I fixed it.
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I needed that laugh today LR.. Too much bad news today...laughs are always in demand.

Thank You for thinking of me anyway.....*i think*....lol!