Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:38 PM

Ever take your cat for a walk...

in a dog park?
I wish I'd taken pictures. This couple was actually walking their cats, on leash, in a dog park! What's even odder is that the dogs ignored them. Even my dog, who thinks cats are chew toys, barely gave them a glance until the owners picked them up. Then he was mostly curious.
I did wonder what would happen if a dog did decide to go after them - would the poor doggie be declared dangerous for doing what dogs do? And why would cat owners do this?
Old September 23rd, 2012, 04:50 AM
Willing cat servant

Isn't that supa cute
To your question I can only answer with a video of one of my cats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsqquZqSICM Kitteh Kitteh on a leash
This is Mulder! Also known as Loco, Bebe Loco, Bebe Bonkers, and all kind of dementia related nicknames. She's crazy but sweet and gentle
Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:36 AM

Koteburo that's your cat? THat's awesome. I've never seen cats walk on a leash before!
Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I have to say that imo was pretty irresponsible of someone to walk a cat in a dog park! They have no idea how the dogs might react. Had there been an attack, the result could have been a real tragedy. Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 23rd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I could walk my Snowball anywhere, including the woods at a provincial park, he would follow me EVERYWHERE I went. However, I would NEVER bring him to a dog park or anywhere dogs were regularly run free, that would be asking for disaster, if you ask me.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:44 PM

Hazel that's what I thought! They are lucky none of the dogs turned on the cats. I have to admit it didn't seem to me that one of hte cats was enjoying it - the lady dragged it along.
I'm just not sure if dogs have more rights at parks than cats - maybe I'd have been responsible if Scruffy went after one of them.
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:21 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If it's a designated dog park, cats probably aren't allowed at all! If it's just a public park that allows pets, it's probably allowed, but I still wouldn't do it if it were my cat considering that many people allow their dogs off-leash when they shouldn't.

Just seems odd to me that they'd want to put their cats in danger like that. Maybe they've never seen a pack of dogs in action chasing a small critter.... That's why I'm not a cat owner right now. The Pack is a formidable hunting machine when the pack mentality comes over them

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

walking a cat in a dog park....very dumb idea... (is the leash supposed to protect the cat? is the leash supposed to signify to the dog that this a a special type of cat that is not to be chased and potentially killed?)
having lunch with lions in their cage...another bad idea.
smashing your head on the cement...another bad idea
Does every obvious situation require a big sign....? geez.

Maybe a dogpark would also be a great place for people to bring their pet hamsters so they can roam around and get a little fresh air, or new born babies.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:30 AM

I have hahaha, we took our cat to the park on a leash, they loved it! They love chasing leaves!
Old September 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I have to say that imo was pretty irresponsible of someone to walk a cat in a dog park! They have no idea how the dogs might react. Had there been an attack, the result could have been a real tragedy. Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way...
I agree with you 100% ! Not only could it get attacked by a dog the cat could slipped out of it harness and run off. I saw small dog get lose when her leash clasp malfunction and the dog ran right into the street. The dog was lucky no cars where in around at the time. Anything can happen .
Old September 24th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Willing cat servant

Yesh, it's my cat (well more like I'm HER human than she is MY cat really especially from her point of view)
Anyways yeah, some have the temperament to walk on a leash and if you teach them since kittens almost every cat.
No dogs where I walk her though. Since the park is practically my yard by my place dogs don't go near and you see them leashed across the street so we don't go there. (although it's not a dog park)
Anyways aside the fact that we ought to keep in mind to keep our leashed kitties away from doggy areas for their safety it's a very cute and fun thing to do as long as your kitteh enjoys it.

P.S. And if you think that's cute and unusual once I saw a chinchilla in a harness!!!! I was and the little guy was smarter of what I thought and came when called, etc. It took me a while to figure if it was a bunny, cat, bunny cat, or anime-like-mythical-creature