Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 28th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Himalayan?

Hi everyone!

I recently found a cat, probably around 10-12 months old and I've been trying to locate an owner, but no one has responded. But it is such a gorgeous cat that I decided to keep her.
But, she looks like a seal point himalayan in every respect except for the eyes. I don't really know a lot about this breed, but I only see pictures of Himalayans with big round eyes, and my cat has little slit-like eyes. Is this a characteristic that can occur in Himalayans, or is she a different breed?
Attached Images

Old October 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Perhaps its a ragdoll, not sure. Maybe you should take her to a vet and check if she is microchipped? Someone may be looking for her!
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

She is beautiful!

She definitely has a lot of Himalayan in her. The other breed I see in her is Ragdoll, but her nose is too small and the shape of her mouth is typical Himie. Her ears and tail are a just a little big/long and her eyes are not quit round enough, they are more like a ragdoll's.

You can also distinguish between the two breeds by the fur. A Himie's fur gets matted very easily and sheds like crazy and has different length fur (a soft medium undercoat with longer strands of fur mixed in), a Ragdoll, has very soft fur, not as long as a Himie and doesn't typically mat or shed nearly as much and fur is even in length except for its mane and hind legs.

Himies tend to be much smaller and more delicate than a Ragdoll (7-9 lbs) where as a Ragdoll is a larger, muscular cat (12-15 lbs)

Himalayans, more so than Ragdolls, like to be only cats. Ragdolls are extremely non-aggressive and may not fight back even if a cat is attacking it. Himies may fight back but prefer to avoid meeting another cat.

Purebred or not, both Himies and Ragdolls have wonderful personalities!

Have you taken to the vet to have it scanned or reported it found at the local shelter? I would think somebody is missing this beauty and could be extremely upset!
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Oh she's so cute! I can't blame you for wanting to keep her. My husband doesn't want anymore cats but I dream of finding a little Himmie or Persian that I would have to take home.

The others are right though. Someone could be looking for her? Did you find her owners? What happened? Is she still with you?

As to her eyes maybe she has an infection in them and that could be why they are not opened wide. It would be something to check with the vet.
Old November 11th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

She's a knockout. Please tell me you're not thinking of breeding her (if the owner doesn't surface).
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:06 PM

I agree, she is truly a knockout! I would say she is a Himalayan myself, because of the "flat nose" (Ragdolls have pointed noses) Don't be fooled by size though, my himalayan is 14 pounds, and not a pound overweight. Are her eyes blue? Himalayans have true blue eyes, if she doesn't, then she must be a cross breed as it is one of their traits.
Hope you get to keep her, she is stunning!