Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 14th, 2010, 02:10 PM

Cosby Ozball is getting better but...

Hi everyone just a quick update and a question. Cosby has finished all of the antibiotics, have been feeding him a steady diet of Merrick wet, Science Diet dry and seems to be doing well. He had constant diarrhea (pudding) had been to the vet 3 times but is recovering well. There are still days were pudding is back but... Question is Cozby's fur has a yellowish cast to it where TZ my 4 year old calico is pure white. I didn't notice it before being so concerned about the litter box problems. Weird or no?
Attached Images

Old November 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

To answer your question some cats just aren't as "white" as others. Just as in humans and different skin tones. That may be part of it. Possibly if you drop the Science Diet dry it may improve. He really does not need to be eating corn and grain. If you want to feed dry as a treat occasionally then there are better choices out there. Costco sells Kirkland brand cat food. I think it is around13 to 16 dollars for a 20 pound bag. The first ingredient is chicken. Maybe whoever does your grocery shopping can pick up a bag of it. With your three cats it should last a good length of time. That will help your budget too.

While Cosby was on the meds was he also on a probiotic to help restore the belly flora upset by the antibiotics? They are available at many good health food stores. It is also possible that Cosby is allergic to the food he is eating. Common allergies are grains, corn and chicken. About the only thing you can do to test that is to eliminate those ingredients for six to eight weeks. If you see a difference in his BMs then you know you are on the right track. You don't need to eliminate all of them at once. Try the grains/corn and if that doesn't make a difference then try the chicken.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Thank you so much for advice. I'm not sure if I know anyone with a costco membership but will be asking! It was my vet that suggested Science Diet, I used to always buy Iams??? As for the white coloration, I was worried that perhaps it was a sign of illness, like jaundice in people... Love my kitties they are the world, thanks again c & crew