Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 2nd, 2013, 07:09 PM

I will be calling the vet tomorrow, but could use some advice.

I'm going to be calling the vet tomorrow morning, and it's unfortunate that I wasn't able to get a hold of them before they closed for the weekend. That being said, I could use some advice.

Yesterday morning, I noticed a smudge of blood on the bathroom floor. I checked my feet, and checked my dog out, to see where it might have come from. I didn't find anything, so I figured maybe I had a small cut that I didn't notice.

Last night, I went to go turn on the bath, and found a fair sized (dried-out) watery puddle of blood, with clots in it. It also had what looked a ton of tiny bubbles in it (I took a picture for the vet). I have no clue where it's coming from on her. I managed to get a urine sample this morning from her (slid a paper bowl under her to catch the pee), and it looks normal. She has some diarrhea (not bloody), and she doesn't want to really eat. Not even just plain rice or hotdog (which she would normally gobble up). Could it be ulcers?

It drive me nuts that these kinds of things happen on the weekend. There is no way to get to a vet until tomorrow. But I'm really not sure what to do for her until then, asides from keeping an eye on her. Should I try to find something that she'll eat, or leave her alone?

My poor baby, this has been such a rough year health wise.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Probably a silly question but has your girl been Spade? If yes....I got no answer for you, can you find out where the blood is coming from? Her vulva, anus??? mouth? Good luck at the vet tomorrow please let us know how she is after the visit.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Kally, my last red cattle dog did throw up first her food, then a dinner plate size pool of blood and that was from a gastric ulcer. The ulcer was so painful she had Grand mal seizures which she had to receive med's for of course. I had another cattle dog, this time a 14 week old puppy, vomit what looked like pure blood and that turned out to be Parvo. (She'd had her 6 week and 12 week injection too. ) Best to treat is as very serious until you hopefully know better. Don't force her to eat, keep her quiet, and take her to your vet ASAP.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 07:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kally View Post
I'm going to be calling the vet tomorrow morning, and it's unfortunate that I wasn't able to get a hold of them before they closed for the weekend. That being said, I could use some advice.

Yesterday morning, I noticed a smudge of blood on the bathroom floor. I checked my feet, and checked my dog out, to see where it might have come from. I didn't find anything, so I figured maybe I had a small cut that I didn't notice.

Last night, I went to go turn on the bath, and found a fair sized (dried-out) watery puddle of blood, with clots in it. It also had what looked a ton of tiny bubbles in it (I took a picture for the vet). I have no clue where it's coming from on her. I managed to get a urine sample this morning from her (slid a paper bowl under her to catch the pee), and it looks normal. She has some diarrhea (not bloody), and she doesn't want to really eat. Not even just plain rice or hotdog (which she would normally gobble up). Could it be ulcers?

It drive me nuts that these kinds of things happen on the weekend. There is no way to get to a vet until tomorrow. But I'm really not sure what to do for her until then, asides from keeping an eye on her. Should I try to find something that she'll eat, or leave her alone?

My poor baby, this has been such a rough year health wise.
It's sounds like the blood is coming from your dog's mouth, and like GF said you should bring your dog to the vet as you said your dog already had a rough year health wise. I am concerned about her not eating , does she likes to chew on sticks , if yes maybe she has a piece of wood stuck in her gums or throat.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:20 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've been up since 4am with her. I took her outside, and she started vomiting. Actually it scared me a bit because afterwards, she laid down in the grass and refused to move.

I took her in this morning, and we are assuming at this point that the blood was from her throwing up. Tests have been run, but I won't know anything until tomorrow. She had X-rays, blood work, and a urine analysis. We couldn't get a poop sample.

Since my poor baby panics being left with strangers, they let me take her home. We've got medication to coat the stomach in case it is ulcers, medication to prevent vomiting, and some special canned food (which she's had before and likes, but now refuses to eat it).

Btw, she is spayed, and doesn't chew on anything really.

I'll post an update when I know more.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:49 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

keeping fingers crossed for you two! Hope she'll be alright soon.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 02:33 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you as well.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 3rd, 2013, 06:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope you get some answers soon, Kally.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 3rd, 2013, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've been up since 4am with her. I took her outside, and she started vomiting. Actually it scared me a bit because afterwards, she laid down in the grass and refused to move.

I took her in this morning, and we are assuming at this point that the blood was from her throwing up. Tests have been run, but I won't know anything until tomorrow. She had X-rays, blood work, and a urine analysis. We couldn't get a poop sample.

Since my poor baby panics being left with strangers, they let me take her home. We've got medication to coat the stomach in case it is ulcers, medication to prevent vomiting, and some special canned food (which she's had before and likes, but now refuses to eat it).

Btw, she is spayed, and doesn't chew on anything really.

I'll post an update when I know more.
When was the last time your dog pooped and what color was it? I hope she is will feel better real soon , it's so hard seeing a pet being sick and not knowing what wrong.
Old June 4th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Could it be from the gums or the nose?

Might need to rule out tick disease.

I would want a full blood panel with blood counts. At minimum, get some blood counts run.
Old June 5th, 2013, 07:51 AM

Morning everyone,

There's good news, and bad news. Good news is, it may just be ulcers. She was on Rimadyl for a few weeks because she has arthritis and had injured her leg... we suspect this could be the cause. She's on medication to help coat her stomach, and was doing really well yesterday (eating again). This morning I was half-asleep, and accidentally fed her 15 mins after meds, rather than 30 (like I'm supposed to), and I guess it upset her stomach. She's all unhappy and her tummy is kind of bloated. She's back to not wanting to move around much, even getting her outside is difficult. I'm hoping this will clear up by tonight.

The bad news is, some of the blood work is abnormal. In the past, her liver enzymes were elevated, but as of the full blood panel she had on Monday, the enzymes are double what they were. They want to test things again in a few months, because we don't know if the extra elevation is caused by the Rimadyl or not.

The thing that annoys me, is that they knew she had abnormal liver results in the past... I'm not sure why they prescribed her Rimadyl in the first place. They had also given me another medication with this stomach coating one - I did some reading, and it's also not appropriate to give to dogs with liver issues. When I mentioned this to the vet, he didn't say much, except that if the package was unopened, and she wasn't vomiting anymore, I could bring it back for a refund.

It's really aggravating.
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry to hear your dog may an ulcer , does the vet think it a bleeding ulcer and that why your dog is vomiting up blood? I think vets should give out a list of sides effects like we get with our med.
Old June 5th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

It does sound like the Rimadyl was inappropriately prescribed. There are others thought to be kinder to the liver, but any of those nsaids can cause the same effects. They should be accompanied with liver support.

Since there are elevated liver ensymes, I would add liver upport now. My favorite is Country Life's "Liver Support Factors".

Slippery Elm Bark is very healing for the digestive tract, as is l-glutamine.
Old June 6th, 2013, 06:35 AM

@BarkingDog - He really didn't say. He just said that her stomach was pretty distended. The good news is, she hasn't thrown up again since starting the medicine.

@MaxaLisa - Funny thing is, before I took the two medications home this time, I asked if there were any risks or side effects. The vet said no, yet I get home, do some reading, and one is not okay to give it to her because of the liver issues. Pretty concerning, imo.
Anyways, the vet did mention something about starting vitamins for liver support. I just looked up the one you mentioned... it doesn't seem to be specifically targeted towards dogs... how do you figure out the dosing?

The other thing I'm wondering (and maybe there is somewhere better on the forums I can ask this), is about home cooking. It seems she's been having a lot of trouble with solid kibble for a while, and right now she's on a canned vet food which she is doing okay with. Problem is, it costs about $22 for 3 days of food, so it's not a long term option. I'm willing to home cook for her, but am not sure how to work around getting the right vitamin balance... especially with the health issues she has. Any ideas anyone?

I have a few books, but some of them I'm not too sure about. And I'm not sure any of these books mention specifically making balanced food that supports liver function.
Old June 6th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
@BarkingDog - He really didn't say. He just said that her stomach was pretty distended. The good news is, she hasn't thrown up again since starting the medicine.

@MaxaLisa - Funny thing is, before I took the two medications home this time, I asked if there were any risks or side effects. The vet said no, yet I get home, do some reading, and one is not okay to give it to her because of the liver issues. Pretty concerning, imo.
Anyways, the vet did mention something about starting vitamins for liver support. I just looked up the one you mentioned... it doesn't seem to be specifically targeted towards dogs... how do you figure out the dosing?

The other thing I'm wondering (and maybe there is somewhere better on the forums I can ask this), is about home cooking. It seems she's been having a lot of trouble with solid kibble for a while, and right now she's on a canned vet food which she is doing okay with. Problem is, it costs about $22 for 3 days of food, so it's not a long term option. I'm willing to home cook for her, but am not sure how to work around getting the right vitamin balance... especially with the health issues she has. Any ideas anyone?

I have a few books, but some of them I'm not too sure about. And I'm not sure any of these books mention specifically making balanced food that supports liver function.
You give the med according to the weight of your dog. I was going to give my 20 lbs. dog some fish oil and I could only find it in caplets . I brought 1,00 mg caplets. My vet said to give my dog 500 mg per day.
Your vet may be able to tell how to give your . Or you could trying calling a pharmacist and see if they tell you.
Old June 6th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you been given Rimadyl again for her? If you have done some research on that drug and feel it's making her worse, then don't use it! nsaids can be dangerous, one I was taking myself, Meloxicam(for arthritis) put me into renal failure and I was just a single point off severe kidney damage when a blood test was done and my new Dr got me off it. For my dogs I only ever use natural products for arthritis, like Sasha's Blend or Perna-Ease.(sp?) Fish oil too.
Old June 7th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Have you been given Rimadyl again for her? If you have done some research on that drug and feel it's making her worse, then don't use it! nsaids can be dangerous, one I was taking myself, Meloxicam(for arthritis) put me into renal failure and I was just a single point off severe kidney damage when a blood test was done and my new Dr got me off it. For my dogs I only ever use natural products for arthritis, like Sasha's Blend or Perna-Ease.(sp?) Fish oil too.
A grain free dog food would help with the arthritis, I know people that have arthritis try eat as little or wheat . My last dog had arthritis and I feed him a wheat free diet , this helped him.
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

I know, I've heard a lot of crazy things from vets sometimes. It can be very frustrating

I homecook and feed primarily a meat and veggie diet, with supplements. You might find some help on the K9Kitchen list. There are several nutritionist out there that can help, though there is an initial upfront investment. I have used this one to help me balance a diet a couple of times: http://www.betterdogcare.com/?page=nutrition

Edit: forgot about the liver support question. How much does your dog weigh?