Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 3rd, 2005, 11:14 AM

submissive peeing

A few days ago, my neutered male dog started submissive peeing when when my mother came to visit. She had just got through the door and I told her that petting him when he was jumping on her would just encourage him to jump on her when he just squatted right between us and either wouldn't or couldn't stop. I was suprised and upset.

He is about 17 months old now. Can he still grow out of it?

He occationally would submissive pee in front of my brother, though it was generally a small amount and my brother was actively being threatending (agressive posture and voice - I've told him to stop).

Can anyone with experience explain how to control it? Or how not to set it off?

Cleaning up a river of dog pee, from a fully housebroke dog, was not how I planned on spending my morning.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 11:50 AM

My girl friend had a pittie that would pee anytime he was excited, maybe your mum coming was a great excitement for him and he couldn't help it. She would always watch how much water she was giving to him and let him out when he finished drinking.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 12:48 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Instruct your guests (mother, brother) to not pet, or make eye contact or speak to the dog until at least 10 minutes has passed that they've been in the house. Any attention to the dog in any fashion can set this off, I had to institute this policy with my houseguests with Peaches since she had a nasty habit of not just peeing, but peeing ON people. If you're consistent with this method, they'll do just fine after awhile (depending on how often you have guests).
Old December 3rd, 2005, 04:25 PM

If it was a river, it might have been just about timing... He might have had a full bladder and then ran into some super excitement and couldn't contain himself. Maybe if you brought him outside to empty out a bit before people came over he might not be so full?
Old December 3rd, 2005, 06:21 PM

Beetlecat the suggestion to let him out just before you know people are coming is a great idea , also having people ignore him for a bit till he settles down from the excitment will help. Please make sure that when he does have an accident such as this you don't make a big deal of it , if he always gets in trouble he may end up doing it more out of fear . Best just to clean up and put him out and same as when he was a puppy tell him Good Boy when he has gone outside . Good Luck
Old December 4th, 2005, 07:52 PM

He might have had to go. Charley used to, because now I know, not be able to hold it if he hadn't been out in a while and someone fun came over or we went straight from the car into the building (mom's house or the pet store, etc). Of course this is different from submissive peeing, but I think it can be confused. So long as your Mom wasn't intimidating the dog, he might just have been so happy to see her he couldn't hold it.