Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 27th, 2015, 05:57 AM

Cats Legs stiff all the sudden

My cat Misty, * male originally thought he was a female * is 13 years old. A rescue cat.. he has been pretty healthy most of his life. He is part Main Coon and part Manx.. he was one of a litter of 3 males, I took two, his brother died about 2 years ago. Anyway his only health condition he has had is a major ear problem, part of the ear along the side began to grow, and has blocked his ear canal so it itches, vet has not mentioned cancer. Was going to take him in this coming week and began to notice about 2 months ago when he was going to lay down, he would be very careful about lowering his back hind quarters but he would do it and then sleep comfortably it seems most of the night except when I would go to the kitchen he would follow me for more food.. he had starvation issues when he was found he and his siblings were living on birdseed.. Today he was up on the sofa with my husband and I when were watching a TV show, jumped down as usual and went out back to lay in the sun on the patio. I had to leave and run some errands. He did not come in for dinner.. finally he came to the door and just stood there like he was rigid.. I managed to get him to the kitchen but he would not eat, and he cried when I tried to touch him. He would lay on the hard tile floor but did not want his pillow he sleeps on. His back is hunched a bit and his back legs are very stiff and further apart than usual. Thought he might be constipated so gave him a couple of Tbsp. of canned pumpkin which he loved and that worked but he still can barely walk. I thought the leg thing was just old age, arthritis but can't figure out why it hit all at once. Thought he might have jumped off the lounge on the patio but no way to know for sure. He is sleeping now.. oh, he also has developed what apparently is common in old cats, his kidneys are not the best, he drinks copious amounts of water and pees ALOT.. and its very strong. He is a loving and gentle cat, his diet has been dry food available all the time but a small amount of wet food 3 times a day. I am thinking I may have to have him put down as I don't want him in pain. I wanted to see what your input is. I will make a vet appt. for tomorrow/ Friday. Any insights will be most welcome.
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:29 AM
Senior Contributor

No idea. Hope your Vet can help today. Good thoughts for Misty.
Old March 27th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

You should of taken your cat to the vet as soon as you notice something was wrong . The poor kitty has been hurting all this time .