Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old August 16th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I remember when I worked as an animal protection officer for a humane society, I received a call regarding a confined stray cat. Go, pick up cat, take it back to the shelter, scan it for a microchip, was chipped. Lost and found called owner. Owner was in complete shock. Her cat had been missing for a year.
Old August 16th, 2010, 08:28 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Have you been visiting your local HS or animal control daily? I can't remember if you said you have. Not just phoned but physically visited? You need to go in and check visually yourself every day. The HSs get so many cats in they sometimes can miss one that has been reported missing. Also very important that you ask to check the sick room and the feral room. Especially the feral room. If Mona is as skittish as you say it is a very real possibility that she "acted feral" when caught. The cats are then put in the feral room. Caution - they are the first to be euthanized. It is critical that you check the HS daily.
As for not using the trap... what have you got to lose? So you catch a few other cats, a coon, etc. What if by not using it you lose the chance to catch Mona? Please, it won't harm her. Try the trap.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:29 PM

i saw her tonite.

this time it was her. driving thru some nearby streets i saw her, stopped the car leaving it unlocked with windows down i chased her down a driveway then over a fence as a guy loooked on. i told him to apologise to his neighbors.
over the fence and onto the bikepath behind then into a fenced lot with trees and a large disused garage, again going over more barbed wire.
i sighted her again and couldn't get her closer and i didn't have any treats or my cat catching gear i've been carrying.

i called my mom and dad who live only minutes away, they came fast with cage and treats, tho i told them the wrong street and they ended up taking thier SUV down the bike path for a block to get to me.
i sat and coaxed her for a long while she kept getting closer and eating treats i even started to put some inside the cage and she stuck her head and a single paw inside.

i couldn't touch her tho, she recoiled and growled quite feral each time i tried.stuck in this lot and the treat bag almost gone i tried to get her into the cage when she went for more inside. she has always moved faster than light but i grabbed her leg then the claws sunk in and teeth i wrestled her for another few seconds but she broke away leaving me bleeding and defeated.
i kicked the cage across the field and broke down in a heap.
Dad stayed with me for a while and Mom went to get more stuff from our house and after i calmed some we searched a bit more but to no avail.

i feel defeated, betrayed, like a failure, confused and a whole lot more.
i'm even wondering if she's fully feral now and is too far gone.
i can't give up on my baby kitten but i must stop for tonite, if nothing else.

at least i know she's alive and OK. maybe that's all i can have from this....
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

She is not fully feral. In fact she is not feral. She has not been out long enough to "turn feral". What she is is petrified.
Was it a cage or the trap you had your parents bring? The whole idea of the trap is to set it up and leave it. Don't sit beside it trying to force her into it. That will only make things worse. If she knows you want her to go in it or you try to force her in it will only make things worse. The hardest part to learn when trying to trap/catch a cat is patience. I know it's hard. I tried for almost three years to trap one cat in particular. Boy, did it feel good when I finally got her.
Please set up the trap in the area you saw her in. Bait it with a really strong tuna or sardines. Cover it with a blanket. At this point it should not smell like you. And leave it. If you want you can sit quietly about ten feet away in a spot where she can't see you. Sit very quietly so as not to spook her. As badly as you want her to go in the trap do not do anything to scare her away. You will not get her back!
The most important thing. Once she is in the trap do not open it until you are safely inside your home! I can guarantee you if you open it outdoors and she gets away again you will not get her back.
Patience is now the key. Please, if you want her back, find lots of it somewhere and hold on tight!!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:30 PM

thx. i will try and put some of that into practice.
especially the part about patience.
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Mickey, my angel

I agree 100 percent with what 14+ said. Mona is not feral. It is not at all unusual for a cat (even one less timid than Mona) to behave this way when in unfamiliar surroundings, and the more you try to pursue her the more fearful she is going to become.

Please use the trap as 14+ suggested. This is the only way you are going to get her back. If you have any questions or concerns about how to set it up and use it, 14+ can answer them. She has a lot of experience using traps to rescue cats.

Once you have Mona back safely home in her own environment, I assure you she will be back to being her own self in no time.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old August 17th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Brian I have been following your thread like I am sure many many others are but you have received the best info so far from 14+ & Mischiko! I know its really hard for you and you feel defeated but please please stay strong! Mona will come home! You are so close now!

Mona is definately not ferel...it takes a long time before that happens! She is likely really really scared and frightened! So how far away from your home have you spotted her? she will likely be staying in that area for a reason...maybe safety, maybe a place to hide , or food....

Have you set up the trap yet? if not I would suggest you get that done right away and near where you saw Mona tonight! get some really smelly treats, tuna, sardines anything that will entice her into the trap. Dont worry about catching any other critters..I guarantee it wouldnt likely be ther first time for many of them and besides whats the worst that could happen? you release them?

Please please please once you have her make sure the trap is closed tightly and dont open it until she is in a safe environment that she cant get out of...

We are praying for you here and sending positive vibes your way...MONA COME ON HOME BABY!!!!!

Cindy

P>S you must have pretty awesome folks to help you out like they have!!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

She is NOT FERAL! Please don't give up on her and don't take it personally. My Snowball would attack me if he was cornered outside in an unfamiliar area. He and I were like soul mates.

Now that you know where she is hanging around, it gives you a better idea where to stake out your searches. Calm is better than the chase in this situation, you will only scare her making her run.

14+ has given you real good advice and I think if you want to catch Mona you will have to do as 14+ suggested.

Good luck

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree she is not feral, just very scared, due to unfamilar environment. When you see her, and she takes off, do you stick around the area for a bit? or do you just leave right away? Odds are she is not running to far, from when she sees you..just enough to hide. I would stay in the area for a bit, calmly call her name, bring some canned tuna or salomon with you. These food are very stinky and the aroma travels. If she comes out, talk softly to her, don't make sudden movements and let her become reasurred again At first she is scared...if she hears your voice for a bit, the fimalar voice that she knows will be reasurring to her again.

Also, like others have stated...bring a trap with you as well. bait it with tuna or salmon. You will probably have to sit and wait..
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:50 PM

had to stop searching for a couple days. my friend continued to visit the area i saw her.
after nearly catching her i did see her at least twice, each time she disappeared. but no signs in 3 days.
a lady near by who feeds strays said she had seen Mona eating in her yard.
she says she will continue to keep a look out and stay in contact.
tonight i sat out i the area for a long while after wandering around but she did not appear. i did see another cat who is a dusty grey tabby and it came to me.
makes it worse in some ways that i seem to be able to draw in every other cat but my own.
i really feel she's gone this time.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
150% PRO S/N

This is the best thing I can tell you. If the lady is feeding strays in her yard then take the trap to her yard and set it up. Chances are eventually Mona will show up and you will catch her. I know you said you were hesitant to use the trap but if you aren't willing to do that then I don't know what else to say.

Old August 24th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Brian, I have to agree with 14+, I think the only way to catch her is with a trap. I would talk to this lady to ask to put a trap out.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 1st, 2010, 02:09 PM

i've not heard anything since from the lady who said she's been feeding her.
as for setting a trap in her yard it's not necessarily practical and without seeing her again i couldn't begin to ask.
and also i continue to have strong apprehension about using it. it's a gut thing.
i've seen or heard nothing for over a week now: either from my own searches(which are getting fewer) or from others.

her absence is really being noticed by our other cat now. he's been lethargic and not eating like normal. they had been together even longer than they've lived here. my best buddy has lost his girl and the reality has set in.
Old September 1st, 2010, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Brian,I just read all the posts hoping at the end you would have been able to get her.
Were she my cat,I would definitely try to trap her,that lady must love cats as she is feeding strays,I am sure she would cooperate with you,I know I would and have.
When it is about a lost cat,there are no boundaries,neither fences nor gates,I've been known to go in to backyards without permission if the people are not home,it's the safety of your terrified cat that is important,please don't give up on her
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:23 PM

i've hopped a lot of fences and parked myself in well fenced areas that could've got me arrested. other than using the trap i've set no limits,
but my psyche and health is paying for it.
(again with the trap: my instincts tell me not to for whichever reason and i know to trust them)
i've been ill since last week and my sleep is worse and worse.
i still have to consider the other cat and the humans who depend on me and who are also still here.
i won't give up on her but i've hit a wall.
i've seen no sign of her or what i think was her for over a week now.
i know it was ten days before the first sighting and i'm trying to keep that in perspective.
also because i've had no contact since i was bitten i think i will submit to getting the rabies shots recommended by the health dept.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:02 AM

last night she came back to us.
we actually saw her again sunday night on our porch,
but trick-or-treaters scared her away.
it was a heartbreak all over again to have her appear and then disappear into the night.

but around 11pm i went out to put some food on a plate for her and tapped on it with a fork. she came immediately. i petted her as she ate but knowing how elusive she is i decided i had to snare her. i used my hooded shirt, taking it off and throwing it over her then bolting into the house.
i was not going to let her go this time.

once in the house she calmed almost instantly and started to purr.
making that distinct, unique sound that i've been longing to heat.

she's a little thin but looks healthy as can be expected.
to the vet tomorrow.

so relieved.
so happy.

thanks to all who offered support and ideas.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I am glad to hear she is safe...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:27 AM
banned user

Happy Day!

Wow....almost 3 months...and to be lost in a busy area in Oshawa.....So glad to hear your kitty is back
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad, so hopefully she won't be going outside anymore

I wonder if she had been getting some food somewhere and now it is getting too cold for her?

Thank you for letting us know

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:02 AM
150% PRO S/N

You are very fortunate to get your girl back. I hope now she has the wanderlust she is content to stay. I am very very happy for you.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

brian,that's fantastic news,made my otherwise miserable day a great day
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!!. So pleased that there is a happy ending for all.

Best to you all.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM

So happy to read Brian that you have Mona back at home. Great news, and I bet you are feeling on top of the world.

Take care,
Pat
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:11 AM
~Cat Servent~

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M