Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:05 PM
Willing cat servant

Disheartened by training

First off let me start by saying that I don't expect things to happen magically over night and I don't expect my pup to become a super dog jumping through rings and dancing.
After almost 3 weeks of training Ragnar had a huge regression this weekend. It goes from bitting the leash aggressively and not letting go which I do my best to stay calmed at and try to keep my cool when ordering to let go to going as far as attacking me when I left him off leash in the garden. He started charging at me, barking, bitting my ankles hard (I have them covered in bruises) thn jumping up trying to get my arms to the point of making me genuinely scared and my dad having to rush and taking his belt out and making a threatening motion because he just wouldn't stop.
I'm hurt emotionally. I've spent a lot of time, effort and even a good amount of money. I've been working a lot to make this work.
He's very dominant and refuses to accept me as his leader. But at least he used to respect my space more.
I don't want to give up on him but I'm showing the first signs of losing hope. I've even working on breathing techniques to keep a calm presence for him.
This week we seemed to make good progress but it went all down the drain suddenly this weekend with the young dog turning aggressive.
He has regular check ups and he's fine. I don't know what's going on but I want a dog I can live with in harmony and share good times together. This is even affecting my bonding process and I don't feel the love from him either like I felt it from Peanut or Gremlin.
I'm feel totally defeated at the moment. Wishing I could drop the towel although I well know I won't.
Every blog, article says to keep a calm, assertive attitude and I try but I'm just human. I can't be fricking Buddha to handle a dog