Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 20th, 2006, 03:25 AM
sucker for shelter dogs

Cost for needle aspiration of lump?

For those of you who have dogs that required a needle aspiration of a lump in the past, may I ask how much this procedure cost? I just discovered a round loonie sized lump on one of Raven's front legs beside the elbow tonight and would like to have it aspirated before considering surgery. She's had two surgeries since September (dental surgery and removal of a benign mammary lump) and they were very stressful for her, not to mention pretty costly for us. If that wasn't enough, our other dog Rusty just had surgery to remove two anal lumps last week and is still recovering from it. Needless to say, this latest discovery of yet another lump has left us a bit shellshocked and I'm about ready to go crazy from the stress of it all. It's been a bad year for lumps. :sad:

I'm hoping a needle aspiration/biopsy won't be too painful for Raven and that it'll be a bit more friendly to our wallets too.
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

It will likely depend on area, vet practice ect. but fine needle aspirates are usually pretty cheap. My dog actually had one last week, the cost was a consultation fee + $20.00 for the aspirate. If they then send the sample to a pathology lab that will be more expensive (here it's about $95.00), but there isn't always a need to do that, depending on the situation.

Good luck!
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Needle aspirations can be inconclusive. A punch biopsy is more effective and not too costly. Ask your vet about it as a general anesthetic is not required and it's very quick.

Last edited by BMDLuver; December 20th, 2006 at 08:25 PM. Reason: remember the name for it
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:07 PM
sucker for shelter dogs

Thanks for the info, pirgrrl and BMDLuver.

We had to take our dog to the vet yesterday morning for suspected pancreatitis and had them aspirate the lump while she was there for the day. The vet said it was a lipoma because nothing but fat came out. I'm so relieved! It cost $50, so not too bad. I wish I could say the same for the x-rays, special food and medication.
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:50 PM
-

Hurray for fatty lumps !