Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 6th, 2008, 08:13 PM
WOOOOF!

Please help identify my breed

This is Akira's Aunt (by marriage)

Pet store told us she was a hound/rottweiler mix (which I wouldnt even consider anything they have to say, seeing that we have seen some dogs that look NOTHING like what they said they were... I guess rottweiler sounds good maybe?). They didn't specify what type of hound she was.

We are certain she has hound in her as her brother Max definatly shows hound, and she definately posseses the hound mentality.

So many people have suggested what they think she may be, but its really hard to tell.

Also take a look down the page at her brother, which looks nothing like her, but may help determine.

Please dont critisize us on buying a dog from a pet-store as it was not us. This store charges upwards of $1000 even more for mix breeds, which they get as it is downtown Toronto, and the majority of the population in the area do not drive.

This is Crush..

Last edited by Akira; March 6th, 2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM
WOOOOF!

With her brother Max

Old March 6th, 2008, 08:16 PM
WOOOOF!

Old March 6th, 2008, 08:17 PM
WOOOOF!

and as a pup

Old March 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

pretty girl! I'd guess some doberman is mixed in there.
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:17 PM

maybe beagle doberman X. To me the muzzle looks too narrow for a rottie, that's why I think doberman instead.
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Doggie Wench

I'd say definately a Doberman look to her. She really doesn't resemble her brother at all . They're both adorable .
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM

Foxhound and Doberman to me. Why would the person who purchased this dog have gotten it from a pet store? I know you don't want to get flamed for it but did you at least try to teach them why this is wrong?
Old March 8th, 2008, 01:15 AM
WOOOOF!

thanks for the input, we were thinking doberman for a while, we also think the colors may come from the black and tan coonhound, and maybe mixed with foxhound.. her brother completely ruling out just the black and tan as the primary hound breed. We also came across an interesting looking hound called the Hungarian hound aka the Transylvanian hound.. looks very similar.

The one thing that throws us off is her ears.. their always tucked back unless shes attentive or excited, and the fact that their very small.

Reply to marshmallow - They felt so bad that she and her brother had been sitting there for well over 3 months because of the fact they were so over priced.. I think they were priced over $800 to start, and They and friends got the pair for $800. Its a sad thing seeing puppies in windows of these stores, when you walk by them everyday on your way to work. They completely understand the risks of buying from these stores, but she was something they couldnt stand to see in that window anymore. None the less she turned out to be extremely healthy, her brother as well.

They would just like to have a bit of insight and closure as to what type of dog she really is...

So does anyone know where those ears come from???!
Old March 8th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I would say Dobie and Tree Walker Coonhound. Very cute and lucky to be in a good home no matter where they came from.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:00 PM

Transylvania hound dog aka hungarian hound

We have similar dogs and have been trying to identify them as well. The closest match that I can find anywhere is the Transylvania hound. I am posting pictures of them. except for the white on the chest they look like your dog. I would like to know if they are related to the Transylvania hound family as well.
Attached Images

Old September 12th, 2012, 09:13 AM

I grew up with pure bred dobermans some of those pictures especially the way they are lying down in one of the last photos really remind me of my dogs besides the obvious color combination. There are many sites that can do DNA testing for specific markers. http://www.dnamydog.com/
Old September 12th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I totally see Dobie! I think maybe crossed with Shepherd?
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Team Mini-Mutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
There are many sites that can do DNA testing for specific markers. http://www.dnamydog.com/
Second for these guys - $60, order online, they mail you the test kit, you swab the dog's cheeks and send it back.

See this thread: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=80020

Old September 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM

A couple people (including myself) suggested you have him genetically tested. I just thought I would add that many articles are written on this subject and it's not a perfect science. They say to pick a place that compares your dogs DNA to the most dog breeds.

I read an article the other day about a woman who basically got three different portraits of her dog genetically. She called the practice a scam.

Even Universities can get it wrong if they do not have the proper bank to compare with. http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...Newfoundland/1

You could ask the company what kind of bank it has, how many breeds it will test for.

Although some people claim they can rule out the possibility of certain genes being in your dog with one look, this too is a sham. We can just give an educated guess about what dog contributed to the phenotype.