Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 28th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Fur Coat Mafia

Witnessed dog abuse today, how do I deal?

Hi everyone,

Today I witnessed a man abusing his dog. I was walking my 3 dogs, one which is a rescue from an abusive home. She is not very good around people and other dogs. A dog who was off leash came running up to me and wanted to play. I was fine with that even though the owner was not in sight. So I kept my female by me and let the rest of them play. As the owner approched, he leashed his dog an continued to walk. I allowed him to get ahead and then proceeded to walk. A few minutes later, the same dog ran up to us again. I could tell he was young because of how playful he was and had such fluffy fur. The owner could not get his dog to cme back so he came to get him. As he did so, the dog went on his back as he approched. The man then got on his knees and began to punch the dog on the head about 5 times, then got up with the leashed dog and kicked him in the head. I was a mere 5 feet in front of him. Filling with rage, and fear I couldnt help but say something. I told him the reason why my dog was the way she is because of people like you. And said there are better ways of training. He said as he was walking away "hes only 6 months, I just lost control, I just lost it." I was so shaken up by it, I just wanted to get away. I didn't feel safe by myself, so I left. The man who was on his way to the leash free, decided to turn around and head home.

I have decided to call the local humane society tomorrow and tell the story. Hopefully the man may be a regular at that leash free and someone will know him. But how do I deal with this myself. I dont think I will ever get the images out of my head. Im so angry. I feel like I could do more, but don't know what. Anyone have any similar experiences that could help me deal with this properly?

Thanks a bunch
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG you poor thing, I thankfully have not witnessed any of this type of behaivor or lack of restraint. I can only imagine how you must feel. I agree you need to contact the HS, I can't believe someone could treat a 6 month old like this or any age for that matter. Hug your babies and I hope you can sleep tight. pbp

PS. Welcome to the board, when you have posted enough we will require pics, lots of pics of your furbabies.
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Senior Contributor

That's absolutely horrifying. Definitely give the HS a call. And maybe ask around at the dog park if anyone knows his name (although more than likely people will only know his dog's name). He should not own a dog, especially a puppy if he doesn't have any patience.

Good luck, I hope you and the HS can track down this low life.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:01 AM
~Cat Servent~

:sad: That poor pup, and poor you for having to watch. Calling the HS is about all you can do, and maybe make sure to have a cell phone with you should you see him again you could call right away.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:50 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I'm with krdahmer, carry a cellphone. If you see the man again, immediately call either humane society or the police. If you happen to have the situation where the pup is out of daddy's sight, I personally would grab the dog and run. Just me tho. I have actually grabbed the leash out of the abusers hand and started to walk away. Then again i also owned two very large protective dogs at the time. It's very sad to see just how badly some people will treat an animal. Worse if he's married he probably does it at home too.
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

to you, yes, carry a cell phone and call the police immediately. I would have started screaming at him and started a scene.

This guy needs to be stopped, he obviously finds it OK to do this if he is doing it out in public and he has absolutely no anger management. Probably a wife/child abuser too if he has any.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:37 AM

I agree carry a cell and call the police.If he's doing this in public imagine what he's doing to the poor dog in private.
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Garden nut

OMG what a horrible scene! I would have said WTF ARE YOU DOING? (and other colorful language) And then taken the dog to the nearest house that I thought people were home, banged on the door and ask to use the telephone and would have dealt with it right away. If my hubby saw it, that guy would have gotten the same treatment that the dog did.

Poor dog.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Fur Coat Mafia

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I dont think I will be going back to the same area unfortunalty, unless Im with someone. Although I would have loved to get the dog away from the owner at the time, my first priortiy was to get myself and my dogs away as fast as possible. Like you all said, if he is doing this in plain view of people he must think its normal. And who knows if he could have turned on me!! Thank god for my dogs though, I would never feel safe without them! Im making the phone call to the HS right now, so I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything! Thanks again for your support!
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I should have added, a cell phone with a camera, pictures don't lie!

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Did your dogs show any reaction to a human hurting a dog?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 29th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Fur Coat Mafia

Oh ya! My female was already barking to begin with, when he started to hit the dog, she went nuts! The other two just stopped everything and stared. After I was was far away from the guy, I kneeled down and asked if my pups were ok. My male dropped his frisbee (which he never does) and came up to me wagging his tail and wanting lots of belly rubs. My female was kind of out of it, almost like it brought back bad memories. It took her a while to shake it off. And my other female...well lets just say shes oblivious to everything. I could tell that they wanted to be close to me, probably sensed the fear.
Old February 29th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyiris View Post
The man then got on his knees and began to punch the dog on the head about 5 times, then got up with the leashed dog and kicked him in the head.
thats brain damage. lost control my ass. he did that in public. what that translates into is 'ive done this before and saying i lost control got me out of it before'. ANYONE who does that in public does that 10 fold in private. you poor thing for having to witness something like that.

poor baby, i highly doubt she will live to adulthood. ive dealt ENOUGH with abusers like that.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old February 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyiris View Post
Oh ya! My female was already barking to begin with, when he started to hit the dog, she went nuts! The other two just stopped everything and stared. After I was was far away from the guy, I kneeled down and asked if my pups were ok. My male dropped his frisbee (which he never does) and came up to me wagging his tail and wanting lots of belly rubs. My female was kind of out of it, almost like it brought back bad memories. It took her a while to shake it off. And my other female...well lets just say shes oblivious to everything. I could tell that they wanted to be close to me, probably sensed the fear.
Give all your doggies special hugs for me. Your other female probably was not oblivious, but was shocked.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

That's unbelievable. What a jerk!

I think I would have torn him a new butthole if I'd seen that happen. I can imagine how shaken you feel.

That poor dog. That guy deserves for someone to kick HIM in the head!

I agree with the others. Take a cell phone with you. You don't need to get near the guy, just observe him. If you see him do it again, call the Humane Society or the Police.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

All I can say is the same thing- agree completely with the others. Take a cell phone if you go, even with someone else or a digital camera if you have no phone with cameras (My cell phone does not take pix because I already had enuf gadgets and many ppl I know do not have them and if they do, it is not because they want to. I can surely see where they;d be helpful here but I wold think any camera would be good and a phone is necessary for your and your dogs and the other dog's protection).

I am sorry you and your pups had to be traumatized by that - that man does not deserve a dog and I hope the Humane Society Acts!!!