Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old November 13th, 2007, 11:27 PM

What can be done?

I am so upset with irresponsible dog owners who drop off their unwanted guardian in a rural area and expect it to fend for itself. The irresponsible dog owner fails to spay & neuter this unwanted guardian. Argh!!
I found a post on edmontonearthcycle.org from a woman looking for crude dog houses and donations of food for these pups. She said the animal shelter has given up because it is too busy with the dogs on other reservations around Stony Plain. She has spent money that she cannot afford to on medicines & food. BTW I am not racist. On this particular reservation they destroyed over 400 wild dogs last year. Does anyone have any suggestions, or ideas or better yet connections.
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Would be worth it for the animal shelter to either provide free spay and neuter clinics for the dogs there or at the very least subsidise them.

clm
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Of Wing, Paw, & Hoof

It is very frustrating. Every year my husband and I see several cats dropped off around our property, most of which simply disappear. We managed to catch 4 kittens this year and rehomed 3 of them (kept our Annie) successfully.
I know of some old-time farmers that have taken to shooting cats that aren't their own. It is horrible. We have one animal shelter for the entire county. It is always filled beyond capacity.
I don't know what the answer is besides preaching education. There are even signs posted behind my local Walmart stating it is against state law to abandon animals. I don't think the people who dump the animals care enough to read those signs.
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM

I have heard of this before about other reservations! These people cannot fend for themselves, so how do you think they can afford to look after their animals? Here in Quebec we have a similar problem, people are dumping unnutered cats out in the rural areas and they feel they can fend for themselves? Let someone else take on "my problem". We the rescuers are always full and we cannot help all those defenseless cats, because they once used to be someone's domestic pets. Many of them freeze to death. I think that animal abandonement exists all over the world. People have become so selfish!!!!!
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:37 PM

I totally agree with you Kiara.
My neighbor & I contacted the person who posted and we donated her old doghouse and I donated some food.
I am going to contact the Minister of Indian Affairs to remind him of the government responsibilities.
Kudos to Robin who picked up the doghouse and donates her time & effort to this cause.