Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old September 25th, 2012, 09:18 AM

Advice Please!

Hi - and thank you in advance for any help you can offer!
My family has just adopted a 3 year old, full blooded, male dachshund (neutered). He is a wonderful, sweet, well-behaved dog. We have had him for about a week and a half. We've never had an indoor dog. He is housetrained according to the person who fostered him and seems to be for the most part. We have been diligent about walking and letting him out to potty. About 3 days ago, he began to pee in the house. I have cleaned the carpet with Nature's Miracle and have gated him so he is confined to the kitchen. He was walked last night at 11:15. We take up his water at night per the foster mom's instructions. At 6:15 a.m, pee on the floor. I had put down a pee pad (do not know if he even knew what it was - obviously not as he wet right beside the pad). We had absolutely NO issues the first 6 days he lived with us. Last Thursday, however, I did switch his food from a commercial food to Blue Buffalo Wilderness thinking that would be a good thing. Could switching the food be the issue? The first accident was Saturday. Walked the dog and was gone for 1 hour - came home to pee on the carpet (thus confining him to the kitchen). As far as I know he's not crate trained - PetSmart suggested that, but I would rather give him more roam (my issue - probably just find - don't know). I want to do what's best for the dog absolutely. Please help and thank you!!!!
Old September 25th, 2012, 09:22 AM

I think it's normal that there is some regresion with house training with any dog that is brought into a new home/environment. When we brought Livia home, we were told she was completely clean.. we are two months in and still dealing with an occasional accident. Dogs don't generalize that well - being housetrained in one house doesn't mean they will automatically associate those same rules to a new house.

Keep being consistent - it sounds like you're doing the right things, it may just take a bit of time.
Old September 25th, 2012, 09:55 AM

THANK YOU for the reassurance! This means a lot - we really want this to work!
Old September 25th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Not sure if you are praising the dooger for doing his business outside but that also can't hurt.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 25th, 2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Not sure if you are praising the dooger for doing his business outside but that also can't hurt.
Good point! We praise Livia like crazy when she pees outside. We had an issue with her peeing on the patio for a while, so it was a party every time she went down the steps to the grass
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoore9334 View Post
Hi - and thank you in advance for any help you can offer!
My family has just adopted a 3 year old, full blooded, male dachshund (neutered). He is a wonderful, sweet, well-behaved dog. We have had him for about a week and a half. We've never had an indoor dog. He is housetrained according to the person who fostered him and seems to be for the most part. We have been diligent about walking and letting him out to potty. About 3 days ago, he began to pee in the house. I have cleaned the carpet with Nature's Miracle and have gated him so he is confined to the kitchen. He was walked last night at 11:15. We take up his water at night per the foster mom's instructions. At 6:15 a.m, pee on the floor. I had put down a pee pad (do not know if he even knew what it was - obviously not as he wet right beside the pad). We had absolutely NO issues the first 6 days he lived with us. Last Thursday, however, I did switch his food from a commercial food to Blue Buffalo Wilderness thinking that would be a good thing. Could switching the food be the issue? The first accident was Saturday. Walked the dog and was gone for 1 hour - came home to pee on the carpet (thus confining him to the kitchen). As far as I know he's not crate trained - PetSmart suggested that, but I would rather give him more roam (my issue - probably just find - don't know). I want to do what's best for the dog absolutely. Please help and thank you!!!!
It could separation anxiety that causing your dog to have accidents in the house. When I brought my new dog home his separation anxiety was so bad he was getting into the bathtub while I took a shower . could you try to
pretend to go out and not made a fuss and come back in a few minutes and slowly work it up to a hour?
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Hi There

I just want to point out that it could also be a UTI (urinary tract infection) or a bladder infection. I am actually dealing with that same issue myself. Most vets and many people will tell you that males don't get them, but that's completely untrue. My 2.5 yr old Malamute has been prone to them since a puppy, and the Mal we lost back in March also got them. Both were caused by stones/crystals in the urine. If you haven't had him to the vet since getting him, it may not be a bad idea to have them run a urinalysis just to rule it out. If everything comes back ok, you can then focus on the behavior! Good luck!!

Robyn

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:49 PM

This is all so helpful. Thank you all for taking the time to answer.

I called the vet regarding a possible UTI - they asked me to get a sample - have tried and he looks at me like I'm crazy (guess I would too if I was in his shoes). I have wondered about separation anxiety - this guy has been in 3 different homes in 4 weeks (the original owner, foster and now his hopefully forever home). I especially suspected this after he had only been left for an hour. No accidents whatsoever if we are home.

Good news, however, I left to let him out at 12:30 and NO accidents so he was alone for a good 4+ hours!

Appreciate all the encouragement!
Old September 25th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoore9334 View Post
This is all so helpful. Thank you all for taking the time to answer.

I called the vet regarding a possible UTI - they asked me to get a sample - have tried and he looks at me like I'm crazy (guess I would too if I was in his shoes). I have wondered about separation anxiety - this guy has been in 3 different homes in 4 weeks (the original owner, foster and now his hopefully forever home). I especially suspected this after he had only been left for an hour. No accidents whatsoever if we are home.

Good news, however, I left to let him out at 12:30 and NO accidents so he was alone for a good 4+ hours!

Appreciate all the encouragement!
Poor little guy , he been through a lot . I hope you'll be his forever home.