Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 5th, 2012, 11:13 AM

Post Cherry eye sugery - White eyes

Hi,
I'm new here and hope that someone in the know can help me out. I have a dog - Cocker Spaniel, who is about 4 yrs old. He was the victim of a Foreclosure where the owners left him and were coming back once a week to leave him food and water. I offered to keep the dog till they were settled in somewhere and could come get him. They agreed but have not shown back up, or called (no big surprise there) It has now been a year.

The dog had Cherry Eye in both eyes. I took him to the vet a week and a half ago and the vet did sugery and gave eye drops. Since the sugury the ?Iris of the eyes have become increasingly white. Like a white film in the lenses.

Originally the drops given were for bacterial infection, and some other drops made from the dogs blood to help in the healing. I brought him back in for a follow up two days ago, the vet then changed the drops to Neo-Poly-Dex and had me give him a drop in each eye every hour for 6 hrs, then 4 doses the following day. I've now spent $1,000 to try and get him better - between neutering, shots, worming, and the eyes - I just don't have any more $ to spend so don't really have the option of going to another vet.
Any ideas as to the whitening of the eyes? The vet said they would clear up, but I dont' see any sign of clearing up and am wondering if the vet is just grabbing a straws now. His eyes are also continuing to seep goo as they had before the operation.
I wish I had the money to go to someone else for a second opinion, but I just don't.
Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:16 PM

Are you serious??? This poor dog needs to go to a vet asap! Not you posting question on an internet forum. Sounds like he could have developed a complication from the surgery, he could very easily loose eye sight if he hasn't already.

Any eye surgery is serious stuff and any damage to the eye if not properly treated IMMEDIATELY can very easily result in loss of vision or even loss of the eye itself. Some times hours can make a difference in being able to save a declining eye, not days.

I'm sorry that you feel your vet is ripping you off but $1000 for a double eye surgery, a neuter, and all the shots sounds like a bargain. Welcome to dog ownership! It ain't cheap! There's no doggy OHIP.

Some cloudiness after eye surgery is normal but you should begin to see it getting better. If it is getting whiter instead, that's bad news.
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:39 PM

all dogs have a third eyelid, sounds as if the under lid may have been dislodged by the surgery, I would deffinently get him to the vet.