Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Strange Bunduk Behaviour

Hey guys!

Sorry I know im always popping in and out with a thread/ all self absorbed..dont have much time to look around the board :sad:

But anyway..you guys are sweet, so I know ull bare with me

Yesterday when I went out and when I came back my mom said that Bunduk had been hyperventillating. She went into the computer room and he was just panting and drooling. My lil bro also saw him like that and they both took turns trying to calm him down, lil bro thought he may need water so he took him downstairs to the food/water bowl area - at which point bunduk just started eating Lil bro said as soon as he picked him up bunduk stopped panting. My mom said afterwards she saw him panting again but by the time I came back home he seemed ok. He was sleeping under a chair. I didnt post about this yesterday because altho i was obviously a bit perplexed, bunduks had this hyperventilation before (as well as Onnie) - so I figured something mustve majorly freaked/stressed him out.

So that was that...then the rest of the night bunduk was obsessed with hidey holes. I took him upstairs with me, he climbed into the bookshelf to sit. I took him to my room (for bedtime) and put him on his basket. 2 mins later he climbed into some metal shelving i have in my room. I kept waking up to him knocking things off, making room I guess. I woke up to him sleeping between piles of books on my desk. Very strange for bunduk but I thought maybe he was still freaked out, wanting to be in a enclosed space for comfort. One thing I did notice though that he was licking himself alittle more than normal. As in he would be 'walk walk walk' *Stop* 'lick side or a arm or whatever'...'walk walk walk'. Still I thought meh ..weird but not weird enough to worry about. Gave him a once over and everything was ok, even combed his fur for a while.

Fast fwd to half an hour ago. My parents and I were out of town today and just came back. Onnie greeted us at the door but bunduk was nowhere to be seen. I found him in my moms room with what looked this huge cotton ball stuck to the side of his face! Except it wasnt! A HUGE matt!!!!! Its like in his mane area. How could a matt form soooo quickly??? I combed him yesterday and comb him regularly My mom snipped a huge chunk of it off but there' still some attached. The chunk that did come off you cant even seperate if you try..its that bad. I'll have to deal with that later I guess. I just dont get it though...don't matts form because of lack of brushing?

Now I'm really perplexed. What the heckity heck????

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Oh Onster that boy of yours! I am wondering if his teeth are bothering him or maybe his gums again? If he was laying down on that side and maybe he was a bit drolly? it seems a matt would take time to form?

Maybe it was some fur from your previous brushing that got stuck to his face somewhere?

How is he acting now? Better I hope...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks winston Im just seriously perplexed by the matt most of all. It definately 100% was not there at all yesterday, nor was there the beginings of one. Im forever squishing his face and petting it etc etc. I would have noticed. This wasnt like an extra tuft of hair...a whole chunk of his fur on the one side was just all stuck together, you couldnt seperate it if you tried. It was sticking out but I think it was sticking out cuz he'd been scratching at it. He still has a little bit of the matt left and he keeps scratching at it with his hinds legs. Yet he flinches when I go to touch it I know there isnt any blood or anything because its the white fur and its still pure white. My mom too was really confused- she told me to look it up online. Umm mom i cant look up spontaneous matting!!! lol I think that would be bunduk unique go figure.

Right now I would say he's not acting normal. The only reason I say that is because i currently dont know where he is. After we snipped the matt, i took him downstairs for food and then he disappeared. He's probably in another hidey hole. Its weird for him because he always wants to be in the same room as me.

But in terms of him acting sick or anything..not really. I mean he's eating fine and everything

Does drool cause matts, do u know?

Old May 30th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to say my Kinsey will go from NO mats to a big one (usually around her next) in the next hour. It's really strange. I think it's from licking and getting the fur messed up. And it's the type of mat you can not comb out.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Interesting to know Dracko, thanks. Bunduk is my first long haired (or semi longhaired) cat and this is the first spontaneous matt ive ever dealt with !

I just cleaned up a rather bad hairball..at least I think it was a hairball. My dad thought bunduk had pooped on the floor but when I picked it up (in paper towel of course) it was rather apparerant that it was just a large tootsie roll shaped mass of hair. Have to say I have seen that before so the hairball in itself isnt new but the matt and behaviour is. I'm hoping that maybe this was just the cause of everything. maybe he got freaked out trying to cough it up...the drooling caused matting? Grasping at straws.

Happy to report that I was able to get the last chunk of the matt out though

Old May 30th, 2009, 11:25 PM
-

Onster, I have no advice to offer but just wanted to say that I hope the hairball upchuck was the cause of all this.

Now, hopefully, Bunduk will now be back to his crazy normalness.
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:28 PM
-

Oh, and one of the members here (tpettett) is a groomer .....she may have some answers for you as to why the matt formed so quickly.
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:56 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Puddles gets instanteous, huge mats from a fierce scratching fit, normally means she needs a revolution treatment.

Have you checked for fleas or other skin irritation under the mat? I think Winston has a good idea to check in his mouth. You never know what may cause Bunduk to have such a itch.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks rainbow, ill be sure to ask her.

L4H, wow didnt know that could happen (scratching induced matts). I'll check him for irritation and check his teeth..thanks for the suggestions