Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 7th, 2005, 10:53 PM

Did you/do you use treats to potty train your pup?

I am potty training my 8 wk old beagle, Sophie. It is going really well and she's responding well to praise. She normally goes potty very quickly when we go out, EXCEPT when it's raining or in the middle of the night when the ground is wet. Then she just pees and runs to the door. I watch her really well and I usually catch her before she poops in the house, and get her out in time. She has only had one poop accident on the floor, but she does it in her crate once a night, even though I have just taken her out. It's like she tries to hold it when it's wet outside.

I get up and take her out in the middle of the night and like I said, she pees, but she waits til she gets in her crate to poop, no matter how long I stay out there with her and keep putting her in the potty spot and telling her to go potty. When I check on her about 2 hrs later she has pooped in her crate and it's not fresh, it's more like she did it right after I put her back in there. And she doesn't do this during the day unless it's raining.

What should I do? I don't fuss at her because she's just a baby and I know that she doesn't know what I'm talking about unless I catch her in the act. Do you think I should give her a treat for pooping outside at night? Would this give her a little more incentive than just the praise?