Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 28th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

diandpat,exactly
BenMax,I hope you're right
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I saw a clip of him on the news and was so bothered that the fans applauded him. BM I agree, karma karma karma. Let's just hope it's sooner than later. I did see a picture of one fan who was sporting a non-supportive jersey.
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Slave to the Kitties

I agree with BenMax, what comes around goes around. He will get his someday, and i hope i am there to see it.
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:54 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I watched the clip and seen no such standing ovation. I'm sure fans opposed to his presence didn't want to be there and as far as PR of course camera's will of zoomed in on the ones' who think he'll help them win games. I find it so pathetic that he's on the field much less splattered across headlines

Please keep it going http://www.petitiononline.com/ridofvic/petition.html
Attached Images

Last edited by Golden Girls; August 29th, 2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

GG,love that pic I signed the petition.
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Too bad that picture isn't real. Petition signed!!!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so glad, GG. I heard again on the radio that he received a standing ovation :sad:. I hate to think there were so many people that cared so little the pain of living creatures :sad:

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:51 AM

Signed, GG. Thanks for the hilarious picture. That one will be imprinted on my brain forever. Not that this has anything to do with the Vick situation but there was another very funny picture on the internet a few years ago. Bill and Hillary Clinton were standing on the lawn of the White House. A dalmation dog was sniffing Bill's crotch and Hillary comments, "We should call her Monica!" Lol!
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Signed. great pic, GG. I only wish the dog has his teeth in Vick's neck.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Great picture! Signed, sealed and delivered the petition.....with great pleasure.
Old August 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

signed and forwarded
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:10 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

L4H's I too heard he was well received (and even though they were playing in Philly) the clip zoomed by fast of the ones sitting not clapping while the camera's followed the loud and obnoxious ones ... whatever makes headlines

Just got back from Jersey and although the shores we went to were dog beaches other then 1 person everyone was as disgusted with the NFL. I love American people - they really get involved

As mentioned we had planned on going to the Jets game on the 3rd so I emailed the Eagles telling them why we weren't attending also including
the petition. I also told them I had purchased a Flyer collar/leash rather then the Eagle one I was going to buy. I'm nobody just the same I'm sure negative emails get read at least.

btw if anyone watched that game New Yorkers booed Vick everytime he set foot of the field While eating at Hooters in Atlantic City "breaking news" aired announcing he's officially been reinstated just about everyone in the place booed. Just goes to show you not everyone is a fan no matter what and feel he lost his priviledge to be an American hero. Should be making a living under supervision scooping horse poop not having to bear witness his grin or have anything to do with the HSUS

The NFL made a statement that they are considering paying for a spay/neuter program for the Philadelphia Humane Society. PR but great just please leave vick's name out of it

Thanks to all who signed, bump http://www.petitiononline.com/ridofvic/petition.html

Last edited by Golden Girls; September 6th, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
To be honest,I could not even watch the press-conference,to me Vick looks like Mefisto himself,a purely evil man.
Sure he is trying to be humble and sorry for what he did,but I just don't buy it,to do what he did to these poor animals,he has to be evil through and through,I could never in my life forgive such a person.
Sociopath's always lie and do it well. Jail does NOT change them! That is a fact. He is mentally ill and needs intensive treatment. It is a SHAME any NFL team would sign him and a BIGGER shame the ASPCA has NOT spoken out AGAINST HIM! I stopped giving $ to the ASPCA b/c of this. All my $ goes to ALDF!
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow View Post
Sociopath's always lie and do it well. Jail does NOT change them! That is a fact. He is mentally ill and needs intensive treatment. It is a SHAME any NFL team would sign him and a BIGGER shame the ASPCA has NOT spoken out AGAINST HIM! I stopped giving $ to the ASPCA b/c of this. All my $ goes to ALDF!
I recently read a statement the ASPCA made against Vick. So they have stepped up in that regard. I was more disappointed in the Humane Society, who did support him and felt he deserved a second chance.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old September 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I recently read a statement the ASPCA made against Vick. So they have stepped up in that regard. I was more disappointed in the Humane Society, who did support him and felt he deserved a second chance.
i thought the aspca was the one who said he needed a 2nd chance
http://www.aspca.org/pressroom/press...es/081409.html

sick http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unle...e-society.html

My $ goes to niether of these places anymore. Only to ALDF and Best Friends Animal Sanctuary...where many vick dogs went

Last edited by meow; September 9th, 2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
i thought the aspca was the one who said he needed a 2nd chance
Here's the article:

August 21, 2009
Ed Sayres: The Road Ahead for Michael Vick
ASPCA logo

After careful consideration, we have decided to speak out now about Michael Vick because of the special circumstances involving the ASPCA. Several months ago, Mr. Vick's PR representatives approached the ASPCA to help educate America about the heinous act of dog fighting following his release from prison. We were the first animal welfare organization given the opportunity to work with Mr. Vick but immediately turned him down due to the unique knowledge we had of his indescribable and barbaric acts of animal cruelty where he and his associates savagely electrocuted and beat dogs to death after they lost their brutal fights.

The ASPCA's general consultation and our specific role in processing the forensic evidence in this case were key elements that resulted in Mr. Vick and the three other defendants all pleading guilty to felony crimes. As such, this organization and I personally have seen the acts of cruelty committed by Mr. Vick first hand—acts so heinous that the public has never laid witness to them. And now that Mr. Vick has spoken out for the first time since his release from prison, the ASPCA wants to make clear why this organization chose not to partner with him in his supposed rehabilitation efforts. We are simply not convinced that Mr. Vick has demonstrated compassion toward animals as living beings or the necessary remorse for his criminal actions against them.

60 Minutes provided a convicted criminal a national platform to selfishly focus on his own recovery when, in fact, the animals, the victims who cannot speak for themselves, should have received the attention. CBS did a grave disservice to the animal welfare community by failing to show the ugly truth of Mr. Vick’s actions and the horrors of dog fighting and animal cruelty in this country. The continued attention paid to Mr. Vick is only reinforcing that criminal behavior does not destroy fame and fortune.

The ASPCA works every day to prevent animal cruelty, in the absence of tougher, more consistent laws and lack of education and awareness. We serve as the animals' voice, as millions of animals suffer alone and in silence because they cannot speak out against their perpetrators. When a crime against animals is committed, the ASPCA's priorities are to build a sound case that results in successful prosecution of the perpetrators, as well as the rehabilitation of the victims. Our direct involvement in the Vick case yielded success in both areas, and in fact, we work every day to ensure perpetrators like him are behind bars.

Although Mr. Vick has served his time and is now entitled to employment, the ASPCA was strongly against him being able to immediately re-join the NFL, to play alongside highly paid elite athletes who are looked upon as our heroes and role models. Today, it is difficult to see him in the uniform of a Philadelphia Eagle because of the startling lack of judgment and moral character he has demonstrated over the past several years. It is questionable whether he will have any credibility as an educator on the dog fighting issue. The ASPCA welcomes a national conversation on animal cruelty and especially dog fighting, but questions Mr. Vick’s ability to lead it. The ASPCA will heighten its efforts to bring this national travesty to the surface through meaningful education and discussion that brings the hard, cold sickening reality of a fight into stark relief for those who might wonder why all the fuss about a dog fight. A true national discussion would focus not on one man and his crimes, but on a nation that allows dog fighting to happen every day without a national outcry. This is where the ASPCA will focus its energies in the coming months.

Mr. Vick has indeed been given another chance to play football with the Philadelphia Eagles. It is important to state that the ASPCA is extremely disappointed that owner Jeff Lurie hired him for his team before it was clear that Mr. Vick has truly developed a sense of compassion for his victims, the animals whose lives were taken by him. The ASPCA believes in second chances—in redemption—but that second chance has to be earned through contrition, conversion to the cause of animal welfare and finally, through hard work. Mr. Vick has only now begun his journey toward a second chance. It will be a long and hard road for him, and while we wish him well, we also want to remind the nation that the work of ridding the nation of dog fighting is as compelling a story as one man’s path to redemption. Let’s not forget to focus on the animals, the crimes that are still being committed every day in the United States. What are we, as a nation, going to do about that? How are we going to express our outrage long past the first time Mr. Vick takes the field in Philadelphia?

Compassion for animals is the hallmark of the ASPCA and the ultimate message that we hope is gleaned from this horrific story. While this case has garnered the national spotlight because of Mr. Vick’s notoriety, it is the end result that will matter most. Will Mr. Vick have learned something—and taken the opportunity he has been granted to impart to his legion of fans the importance of compassion toward animals? Certainly, only time will offer us an answer—but we will be watching.

Old September 9th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Pet Guardian

interesting AG. I bet they came out with that after they got millions of letters telling them people would not give $ to them anymore
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

A-G,thank's for that article,very well written.
I just wish everyone would see what kind of man Vick is
When he appeared on 60 Minutes,just looking at his face,made me feel sickand I quickly changed the channel.
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
interesting AG. I bet they came out with that after they got millions of letters telling them people would not give $ to them anymore
Meow, sadly, I get more cynical the older I get. I don't doubt that was part of the reason. I'd like to think the other part is that they do want to help and protect animals and agree with our kind of thinking.

At the very least, they made the effort to publicly spurn his offer, which puts them a step higher than the Humane Society for me.

Quote:
A-G,thank's for that article,very well written.
I just wish everyone would see what kind of man Vick is
When he appeared on 60 Minutes,just looking at his face,made me feel sickand I quickly changed the channel.
Chico, I can't stand to look at him. I don't watch many programs that would have him on anyway, and when I see a photo of him on the internet, I put my hand over my screen and scroll down. I think if I saw him in person, I'd sneer at him and make a barfy face all the while mumbling thinks like dog killer and scumbag.

Old September 10th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Pet Guardian

Boycott

MONEY is the only thing that will talk!
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Pet Guardian

facebook members

9/13/09 is michael vick protest day world wide

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/3344...213?m=8cfa3c6c
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Excellent! I just signed up!

I also found this article:

Pigskin-picking camel snubs Eagles because of Vick

Associated Press

Philadelphia Eagles fans thirsty for predictions on whether their team will win or lose each week won't get them from a New Jersey pigskin-prognosticating camel. Princess, the star of Popcorn Park Zoo, won't predict the results of any Eagles games this season to protest the signing of quarterback Michael Vick. Vick spent 18 months in prison for organizing a dogfighting ring.

The 2,600-pound camel went 17-4 last year and correctly picked the Pittsburgh Steelers to win the Super Bowl.

The zoo's manager places a graham cracker in each hand, and writes the name of a competing team on each hand. Whichever hand Princess eats from is her "pick."

Meanwhile, a suburban Philadelphia animal welfare group, Main Line Animal Rescue, announced that it plans to donate dog food for every time Vick is tackled.

That last paragraph is the best!

Old September 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM
An Honest Contributor

Abused dogs on Dr Phil "Live from Philly" Sept 16th 5-7 million viewers got a look at the vicktory dogs at Best Friends Animal Society, wtg Dr Phil

22 of whom came to BF's in Jan'08 to heal from the trauma they suffered at the hands of MV So happy to see finally media attention focusing the spot light on some of the victims. Nor has it been mentioned of all the 'bait animals' that he raised (beagles & kittens) torchured for his amusement :sad:

As stated his time behind bars was for racketeering ONLY. As far as remorse, he pled NOT GUILTY to animal cruelty and this was dropped in a plea deal

You can voice your opinion here http://www.sackvick.net/2009/09/16/m...nion/#comments
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's GG,I bookmarked the site,I was getting discouraged at the lack of sympathy for those tortured animals,disappointed in people,but there is a fight out there
I don't watch Dr Phil,but this show I wish I had
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad to see many people aren't buying his new "good guy." act.

I love the t-shirts on the right of the site. If I lived in Philly, I'd buy one and go to a game wearing it!

Old October 10th, 2009, 09:54 AM
An Honest Contributor

Just stumbled upon this article: Philadelphia Daily News http://www.philly.com/dailynews/colu...les__Vick.html
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Even if the Eagles don't keep him around for next year, some other NFL team will pick him up. I saw someone say once that it's actually the National Felon League - and I'd have to agree. From the things I see in the news, I'd have to say that they seem to have an extremely high percentage of convicted felons in this group of 'elite athletes'.

Everything Vick has done since his conviction is aimed at improving his 'image' - not his personal outlook, not his values, not his morals - just his image.

I quit donating to the HSUS for using him as a spokesperson - talk about a slap in the face for every abused animal ever!!!! Just made me sick and I sent them an email about it - never heard a word back.
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:05 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Thank's GG,I bookmarked the site,I was getting discouraged at the lack of sympathy for those tortured animals,disappointed in people,but there is a fight out there

I agree with you Kandy. I personally think this will screw up

Eagles lauched a $500,000 animal welfare grant program

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...t_program.html
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
I quit donating to the HSUS for using him as a spokesperson - talk about a slap in the face for every abused animal ever!!!! Just made me sick and I sent them an email about it - never heard a word back.
The HSUS is no better an organization then PETA. People assume that because they are the Humane Society of the United States that they are associated with their local Humane Society and that money donated goes to shelters and to help homeless/abused animals. This is very, very far from the truth. If you follow the money trail, you will find that very little, if any, of the money raised on behalf of Vick's abused pitties went anywhere near a dog. Their money is used to support BSL and mandatory spay/neuter across the U.S.
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

I used to support the HSUS, but ever since A. they suggested all the Vick dogs be destroyed, and B. aligned themselves with him they lost my support.

I would rather support the ASPCA. At least they have openly come out and stated they would not support Vick in any of his efforts.