Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 28th, 2009, 12:37 AM

How to deal with a mean cat?

Hello! My name is Maggie and I've loved working with animals ever since I was first learning to walk. I had worked with a dog to help it get along with a ferret, taught horses numerous things, but I've NEVER been able to work with a cat.
Recently a friend of my fathers was moving and had a cat he needed to get rid of before the move, or else it would have to be put down. We decided to take the cat in, but a few small details were left out of the description. The cat is very... mean. If a dog is walking by the cat with smack it. The first week we had him he bit my mom and sent her to the ER. Me and the cat have a generally good relationship, but that was after a long time of just allowing him to sleep on my bed and petting him when he felt comfortable, but even that gets rather shaky.
This evening we had another incident. I accidentally stepped on his tail while he was sleeping on the floor in another room. That sent him into a fury. Our ferret pranced by him and he smacked him rather hard. I locked up the ferret only to have our dog walk by and get smacked a minute later. He then picked fights with our other cats until I put him outside to cool down. He's back in now and as better as he can get, but now I'm worried. My dad suggested having him put down, but both me and my mother are a firm believer in that no animal is hopeless, but what can I do to rehabilitate a mean cat? I was thinking of possibly finding him a more tolerant home.
Thank you in advanced for any help and suggestions.
Old December 28th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

I'd start with some Feliway dispensers. You plug them into an outlet like you would an air freshener but there's no scent to most humans. The Feliway helps to calm cats.

Cats are very territorial and tend to connect to places more than dogs do - you can take a dog anywhere and as long as he's with his person, he's pretty happy but few cats are like that. This cat has been uprooted from his home where it sounds like he may have had the place to himself, and brought to your home with your other animals. I'd be stressed too if I were him!

It may be that this cat just does better in a home where he can be an only cat but, in the meantime, try the Feliway. It's a bit expensive but, if it works, it'll be worth it. Plug it in wherever the cat spends most of his time. There are also spray cans if there are specific places you'd like to spray.

Good luck. I'm glad you're giving him a chance - this kitty hasn't had the best life lately - he doesn't know about having to be put down and all that. He just knows he's not where he's used to being and there are a bunch of other smelly animals he's not used to! Thanks for taking in the kitty - too many cats are put down simply because they become inconvenient. Good for you for taking care of this one!!
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:07 AM

How did you introduce the new cat? Cats require very gradual introductions to other animals, especially if they are used to being the one and only. If possible, they should be given a room of their own with a door to keep all the others out, and food and litter and toys. All the animals can take turns sniffing each other under the door, and the new cat can gradually be introduced to the rest of the house a little at a time, over a week or two or three, or more. Sometimes feeding the new cat on one side of the door, and the others on the other side can help the animals associate each other with good things. Also playing with the animals near each other (but not so near they can mistake playing for an attack) can help with convincing them that having other animals around brings good things.
Provide lots of high up perches for the cat, and make sure he knows how to get up there. To a cat height equals safety, and safety equals relaxation. He may never stop swatting completely. I have a female cat who considers herself the boss of the house. If a cat or dog is in her way, she swats them out of it. On her bed? Swat. Actually, now she doesnt' even have to swat much, she just raises a paw and the others take off.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Hi Maggie,

In my humble opinion, no one ever truly "works with" cats. It's more like "working for" the cat -
As far as the "smacking", or swatting goes, this all seems to be perfectly normal cat behavior. I've even been swatted before - albeit, at ankle level, and this was coming from a very lovely cat - not mean. It's part of how they communicate...and in my experience, it is an expression of their playfulness.

Please do not give up on this cat, and please, please, do not euthanize this animal! It will take time for this kitty to get used to its additional housemates. it will also take time for this cat to find a space of its own, and to make it known to the others. This is not a hopeless scenario.

Also, stepping on a cats tail is not going to elicit the most favorable response, from any cat, EVER...The closer the pressure of a human foot (or any external pressure) is to the cats tailbone (and yes, this includes a portion of its tail), the least friendly the response will be. This does not necessarily imply that your cat is mean. Your cat was scared and caught off guard. It was an accident, and I'm sure kitty will get over it

Good Luck
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I'm in agreement with the other posters.

It sounds like this kitty does best when he has his own space and everyone give him a wide berth. I would maybe put him in a section of the house where he can be alone more, with his own litter, food and water. As well, I would avoid giving him attention until he instigates it.

It sounds like he needs more time to adjust and maybe things just moved too fast for him.

Good luck, and thank you for taking him in! Having the world's most friendly cat myself I can't even begin to imagine the patience it must take to manage such a standoffish and defensive one! that he'll come around eventually.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old December 28th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Thank you all!
I never EVER intend to give up on him. We have had the cat since mid summer. When we first got him he was un approachable. We understood having about 13 other animals around had to be terrifying, so we set up a room for him. He stayed there for a couple days and then we opened the door during the day. (We have to be careful, so we closed it during the night while we slept) Somehow he migrated to my room. At first I tried to keep him out because I'm severely allergic to cats,(And every other animal on this planet -_-) but I found in my room he eventually calmed down and cuddled with me. So I just started taking more allergy medication and let him be. :P He doesn't mind all of the music playing and mounds of homework, so long as he has a place to sleep.
Feliway sounds like a good possibility. I'll look into it when I go get flee spray later this week.
No, he hasn't had it very wonderful recently. According to his old owner, he had complete free run of the neighborhood (Meaning he also had a dramatic change from city to country life), very in charge everywhere, and was spoiled in general. It was a huge change for him.

Thank you for all of your help. I'm going to keep trying to "work for" him. He seems like he just needs some TLC, and lots of time and space. and even if he never stops his random angry moments, maybe they can be mollified.

Last edited by Zoologist; December 28th, 2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Zoologist,thank you for saving this kitties life
I would say,there is no such thing as a mean cat,cats react to the situations they are in,either because of stress or fear.
He is in a new home,with several animals,it will take him a while to adjust.
Remember,his only defense in to him a scary situation,is to use his claws,maybe even bite.
Please give him lots of space and time to slowly adjust
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Catlover2

Chico, I disagree with you that there "is no such thing as a mean cat". There are psycho cats and very aggressive cats, just as there are people. Fortunately, they are a small minority. You might want to refresh your memory about "Willy" some months ago.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66452

Zoologist, thank you for taking in this cat. It seems that the owners knew something you didn't and that's why they suggested having him put down? I would think by now after five months that he should have adjusted to the other animals and people. It appears he's a really alpha or dominant type of cat. He has a hair trigger temper and lashes out in anger. Perhaps he would be happier in a home without any other cats or dogs or as a farm cat? Although I strongly believe it is best to have cats live indoors, some cats just cannot tolerate it if they have been used to freedom, and your boy was used to "complete free run of the neighbourhood". Unfortunately, some cats cannot be rehabilitated. :sad:

Last edited by catlover2; December 28th, 2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Chico on this one. Animals who are aggressive don't generally hurt people or other animals with the same type of emotion that humans have towards certain negative situations. They cannot rationalize, and they do not reason. They may be aggressive, but that certainly does not mean that they are a MEAN animal. Humans view aggression as 'mean' because that is the emotion we link to negative socialization with something else, be it an animal or other human being. In reality, an aggressive animal is often simply extremley misunderstood.

What animals do have are a set of survival skills, and when they are not properly nurtured or socialized or taught, animals can at that time become dangerous to those around them.

Catlover, you linked to the situation with Willy - but the first thing I notice is that Willy was abandoned by his mother for whatever reason. Thus, he probably was not given the proper amount of time that every animal NEEDS to have with their mother, in order to learn from her and understand what it means to communicate and socialize and just BE a cat.

Zoologist, I hope everything goes well for you and kitty.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:40 AM

I have a very mean cat as well. We think he's partially mentally messed up. He HATES everyone, hisses, swats, spits at everybody and every animal. When he first met my boyfriend he hated him, but I just forced him on my boyfriend's lap and showed him that he meant no harm. Eventually (1 month) later he was fine with him and now my boyfriend is his world! LOVES him.
Stinky (the evil cat) hates everyone except me, bf, and my parents. I find that he's just a easily startled cat and has issues. Everyone has learnt to live with it, even the animals, they just avoid stinky and everyones happy. Stinky has his sanctuaries away from noise and people (the bed).
I would never put an animal down because it had a attitude, just give it time, maybe keep it's claws trimmed.
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Catlover2,I truly believe no animal is"mean"the way we interpret the word,animals fight to survive.
Would you say,tigers and lions are mean??

I have first hand experience with a momentarily crazed cat(my Rocky)he attacked me 4 times over the years,to the point where I had to go to hospital.
My doctor was stunned that I felt no animosity towards Rocky,that I had not put him down.
Is he a mean cat??
Definitley not,he reacted to certain situations,situations we now avoid.
Also he was diagnosed with Hyper-T and put on meds,there is ALWAYS a reason why cats react the way they do.

Yes,I remember Willy,a tragic situation,but animals like people can have psychological problems,which clearly was the case with Willy.

Zoologist,sorry for getting off topic,it will take a while,but I am sure your kitty will adjust
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Catlover2

Perhaps we're misunderstanding words? Mean=bad tempered, vicious, unmanageable. Yes I have known a few cats (and horses) that fit that definition. Fortunately they are in the minority. Whether animals are that way because of deficient upbringing, mishandling or some medical reason (in Rocky's case and perhaps Willy's) doesn't matter, they're still mean. Sometimes through medication or behaviour modification a mean cat can be changed, but sometimes not, and then they can pose a danger to other animals or people. I certainly hope Maggie is successful in mollifying her cat's behavior....and maybe extra attention for him is the key here, and letting him stay in a room by himself when he's indoors. I suspect tho he really wants to be outdoors like he was before to "roam the neighbourhood". I will be interested in hearing updates from Zoologist Maggie on whether there is progress or not. We're all here to learn and help each other to find out what might work in a similar situation.
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:17 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Gotta' love "mean" cats. I have a few of them. One came from Niagara Falls where his history is unknown. I feel very strongly he was previously abused. Possibly has some hearing loss and most definitely hates men. Most days he hates me too. But if someone else comes into his enclosure with me he is very docile and loving with me. He won't let anyone else touch him. He reacts by growling, biting and scratching.
Another one of my "meanies" is a rescued female. I got her when her loser of an owner told me she was going to have to be put down because she wouldn't let her other cats near the house. Notice I said near the house. Not in the house. She was just a year old and had already had one litter and was pregnant with the second when I got her and one of her kittens. Benni truly is a bully. She will not allow any other cat near her enclosure. If one comes too close she rushes the fence and growls loudly. She only gets along with her son and that is not 100% of the time. I have watched her put him down countless times even though he is now bigger than her. But he is company for her for now. I will reevaluate that situation in the spring.
Yet another one of my bully kitties was taken off of our road. It is unclear if she had been brushed by a car (she was unhurt) or dumped or dehydrated and near exhaustion. She was just found lying on the road. She does not like other cats too near her either. Mostly my other girls. She does not bully the males too much. As soon as I can let Orbit and Trey out in the spring to be with the others she will be going into their enclosure. This way she will be by herself and will not have to 'put up with" other cats bugging her.
I truly feel there are some cats that are just better off without other cats around. If you can't find a home where he can be an only kitty or it is impossible to keep him in your room 24/7 what about building him an enclosure outside where he would be safe and you could still visit? It may be a win/win for everybody.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkycat View Post
I have a very mean cat as well. We think he's partially mentally messed up. He HATES everyone, hisses, swats, spits at everybody and every animal. When he first met my boyfriend he hated him, but I just forced him on my boyfriend's lap and showed him that he meant no harm. Eventually (1 month) later he was fine with him and now my boyfriend is his world! LOVES him.
Stinky (the evil cat) hates everyone except me, bf, and my parents. I find that he's just a easily startled cat and has issues. Everyone has learnt to live with it, even the animals, they just avoid stinky and everyones happy. Stinky has his sanctuaries away from noise and people (the bed).
I would never put an animal down because it had a attitude, just give it time, maybe keep it's claws trimmed.
My cat, Gizzy, is sorta like yours Stinkycat. He is just very skittish. We got him in March 2008 and just within the last 2 months he has started to jump on our laps and explore sitting there and also begging my bf to pet him and give him loving, now the attention from him is pretty much equal, when we're both home So day by day it gets better just need a LOT of patience with him!

for Zoologist Maggie!
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:02 PM
owned by Tucker

My 12 year old cat has been a B all her life, she has her moments when she wants a cuddle or stroking but when she is done it normally ends up with a love bite and she is gone.. She has even scared my friends and family by going after them, in some sick twisted way I think she enjoys when they scream as she goes after their ankles. But we all know what she is like and we accept her I even warn house guests of her, I just know that no one else would understand her and we just give her as much love as she will allow us to give her and the rest of the time she is left to do what she wants.... Who is going to argue with her LOL
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:08 AM

Thank you all so much for your information. It will be very helpful in helping us with this cat.
As of now I think we are going to try the Feliway. The past couple of days he has only lashed out once at a dog who got to close. He stays in my room a lot and as long as my allergies don't get unbearable (Which they shouldn't) then he can stay.
So things are looking a little better for our cat! Thank you all!
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:53 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Cool

Z, you've already got so much great advice, there's no reason to add anything...except, I also have a 'mean' cat, plus one sort of bi-polar fella. With the MEAN label, I think it's sort of a semantics kinda thing; some cats are a bit more aggressive when afraid, and then again, I have come to believe some simply have some extra 'predator' DNA (for a domestic animal).

Our bi-polar-ish cat is a tad unpredictable i.e. cuddle, cuddle-smack!, while our lovely Sparkman is aggressive towards our other cats at times...especially in terms of attacking a more vulnerable feline (old, slightly physically 'challenged' etc.). Which is why he must stay in a room alone, when unsupervised, and NEVER be allowed in the vicinity of a vulnerable cat; it's as if he has radar.

We're just starting our second month with Feliway dispensers, and I've yet to notice a significant change in the behaviour of any of our 7 indoor cats, but I'll perservere for a while...good luck with your cat. It can be a bit tricky to manage a more aggressive feline, but it is do-able, even here, where it feels like 'musical cats' .
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for giving this kitty a chance.

There is a lot of great advice here. I think the best is you need to introduce this cat to your household slowly.

I have a cat I took in a couple of years ago. My first attempt was a complete disaster. I did not properly introduce her to my gang. I had 4. I brought her in and didn't set her up in a large enough space. She was stressed and unhappy and during one night she attacked my smallest cat just after I'd had her spayed. After two weeks she got away from me when I opened my front door one day. I thought that was the end of it. I never thought she'd be happy inside.

Fast forward about 5 months, and a situation came up that I HAD to bring her inside. I set her up in my kitchen and blocked that area off from the others. I spoke with my vet and she suggested prozac, to help ease her transition.

She came inside for the second time in May, if I recall correctly and by September I was able to allow her a few hours outside the kitchen to associate with the others and I stopped giving her the medication. She still swats at some of the others, but she also plays with them too.

I thought this girl was quite the mean girl. But with patience and love she has turned into my biggest cuddlebum. That's her in my avatar.

Please just give this cat some time and lots of patience. It will be worth it in the end.

One thing also I just thought of. Learn to read your cats body language. Believe me, they will let you know how they are feeling.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Chico, I disagree with you that there "is no such thing as a mean cat". There are psycho cats and very aggressive cats, just as there are people. Fortunately, they are a small minority. You might want to refresh your memory about "Willy" some months ago.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66452
I agree with chico, I think there was something more going on with this cat, like health issues.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:57 PM

My cat is attacking me and my other cat

My male cat attacked me brutally a month ago and it wasn't the first time, but the worst, still healing. one uear ago was the first time, after I took my neice's cat from her for neglect and hid her in the spare room for less that 24 hours until the new owner came and picked her up..I have another cat in the house, my female, had her first 7 years ago and 7 weeks later went to the mspca to adopt her a friend (my male). My female was attacked by him as well last year. I don't know what to do as it has happened again...right now he hs festering after an incident last night. Another cat came on the deck, and my female just looking on, through the glass,no growling...male came down and did his growling loudly, then my female started but I think it was in defense of the males behavior..the stray cat left the deck and then my female proceeded to leave the show...she got pounced by my male. Later on that night he came out, appeared to be fine until he saw my female and started in on me. Before going to bed I made sure he was not in my room. I was walking down the stairs end he up when he started growling at me, I gave him a boot. Today is a new day but the drama continues as right now he's taken over my room and I cannot enter without a potential viscious attack. I have closed the door,,,has anybody tried cat prosac, because that's my last try?...otherwize I may have to have him put down next week rather than get his annual shots. sad...after he attacked me a month ago outside, he has been doting over me and sleeping very closely with me..was nice, but not happening again as I value my face the way it is. What to do ;/Please, Please advise!!
Old April 9th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome, muddmutt. Because this is an old thread, you might get more replies if you start a new one about your specific problem. In the meantime, I'll try to give you some info on what's probably going on. My first question is going to be whether your kitties are neutered or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddmutt View Post
My female was attacked by him as well last year.
Was that around the time that your niece's kitty was in your spare room?

Quote:
Another cat came on the deck, and my female just looking on, through the glass,no growling...male came down and did his growling loudly, then my female started but I think it was in defense of the males behavior..the stray cat left the deck and then my female proceeded to leave the show...she got pounced by my male.
Sounds to me like a case of re-directed aggression. Often when a cat is upset about something that they can't directly respond to, they take their angst out on the closest thing, which in this case happened to be your other cat (and later, you). Is there a way you can block his view of the deck so that he can't see when another cat goes there? Either that or perhaps some cat deterant devices outside (like a motion-detecting sprinkler) to prevent future incidents like the one you experienced.

Quote:
I was walking down the stairs end he up when he started growling at me, I gave him a boot.
Not entirely sure what you mean by giving him "a boot". Did you kick him? Any physical force (or yelling, etc) like that against him is only going to make the situation worse. He's already feeling stressed and this will add to his stress, as well as justify in his mind that he should feel stressed. If you're worried about getting attacked, carry a pillow with you and put it between you and him as you walk by.

Quote:
Today is a new day but the drama continues as right now he's taken over my room and I cannot enter without a potential viscious attack. I have closed the door,,,
Is it possible to get him in his own room for a while, set up with a litter box, food and bedding? Keep him separated from your other cat and don't let them interact for several days. Then do a very gradual re-introduction, starting with a scent exchange. Only when there are no signs of animosity do you go to the next step, which is a controlled visual reintroduction (like through the crack of a door). Pretend you're introducing new cats to each other. There is a detailed description here on how to do that: http://www.catsinternational.org/art...roduction.html

Quote:
has anybody tried cat prosac, because that's my last try?...
I would try some other things first (although there are people on this board that have successfully used Prozac with an aggressive kitty, I just don't think you're at that stage yet). There is a product called Feliway (ask your vet about it if you can't find it in stores like PetSmart), which contains calming pheromones that only cats can smell. Get a room diffuser or two and put it in the room that your male cat is sequestered in. One for your female wouldn't hurt either.

Some flower essences like Rescue Remedy might also help for the immediate stress.

Food can be a factor. If you're only feeding dry food, start offering a quality wet food like Wellness or Nature's Variety or Innova Evo. Sometimes cats eating only kibble become aggressive because it makes them feel uncomfortable (digestive tract issues). I've heard countless stories of people who's cats became much nicer when they stopped feeding dry food. www.catinfo.org

Quote:
otherwize I may have to have him put down next week rather than get his annual shots.
Please give him another chance. And please don't vaccinate him anymore either. Cats don't need shots annually (at MOST, they should be every 3 years), and over-vaccination can actually cause numerous behaviour and medical problems. Speaking of which, it might be a good idea to have a check-up with blood work and a urinalysis, just in case there's a health-related reason for the aggression.

Here is some reading for you on re-directed aggression and how to deal with it:
http://www.catsinternational.org/art...ple/index.html
http://www.catsinternational.org/art...ats/index.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:53 PM

Muddmutt, if you run out of other options, when we had our cat on Amytryptline for spraying it didn't help the spraying, but made him very mellow. You might want to try that as a last resort, but keep in mind your going to have to give him a pill, will he let you? I use a pill popper and I love it.
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:57 PM

catastrophy

Thank you so much for your replies, as well all your information, and Yes both neutered and spaded. Funny you should mention it, but I managed to get him in a room with a box and food, and a comfy bed. I love this cat and really want to keep him if possible, but the Willy story really set me thinking of my own safety. I am not a big person and fear he will really injure me bad someday. I will do whatever it takes to keep him well and with us. We have four levels here, lots of stairs and if he attacks me on a stairwell then I'm toast, don't need his help, have fallen down those stairs a few times when we first moved here in 2008, so yes, I did give him a light tap with my rubber slippers on the stairs, letting him know I would not take another bite. The last one sent me for a tet shot and antibiotics just a month ago.

A little background on Desi- But first, Lucy adopted us one night 7/4/03 when we were returning to our small flat from a cookout and we took her in. 8/23/03 I convinced the significant other to go to the mspca and find a Desi, In agreement, we went and all the cats were to old or too young...we were wanted a male cat around the same age/size. It was a Saturday afternoon and we were just leaving when suddenly spotted him. Desi was not friendly but cute as a button. I took my bracelet off and tried to get his attention and he responded kindly. We adopted him and took him home that afternoon and started playing with him when he had a seizure. The mspca had already closed and we were going to take him back on Tue, but fell in love with him in the interim. One more seizure and then no more, but he became sick with us a year later and had water around his heart. The Vet suggestes Lacex, which I gave him for two years, and what a champ, never gave me any trouble..Love this cat, lets me cut all his nails and just lies there, where Lucy gives me a hard time.

Two years ago we moved from a small flat on the 8th floor to a townhouse with a deck and a porch. The deck end is all wooded and he had been skunked last year. There are deer passing and did see a coyote. He never attacked in our apt....I don't know, thought they would like it here, but now they're distant and Lucy always hissing at Desi and then he takes it out on me.

Confused-my cats have always been my stress reliever but now are my stress.
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:06 PM

Yes-I was giving him a pill twice a day for a year then to once a day for another year...he's a good patient. I will ask the Vet, but they want to bring in some cat behaviorist-my cats don't like any visitors at all, not even my adult son, so that's not going to be an option. I just hope they give me some meds to try :~!
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:11 PM

BTW- he is not aggressive with my husband..they were playing this evening when I came down and Desi stopped playing and started growling..that's when he ran to the bottom level (laundry room) there is a box in there, we have three in all. We added some food and water and closed the door and that's where he remains, for now.
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It sounds like you are letting him outside? That causes it's own issues. He is smelling the other cats in the area which may be part of the reason he has the redirected aggression. You said he was neutered, your female spayed. Was he neutered at an older age or do you know? If he was older it could account for a lot of his issues.
You have got some very good advice. Follow through with some of it. Keeping him separate, reintroducing him to Lucy, trying Feliway or possible a small dosage of valium, etc. Could I also add keeping him an indoor only cat? He may not like it at first but he will get used to it.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:07 PM

Desi was neutered 1 week after we adopted him, he was approx 4-5 mos old. We adopted him 2 days later, and it was only after we contacted them about his seizure that they alerted us of his abused past. They do go out a little, never unsupervised and never after dark. Just want them to be happy. Lucy always stays close and even spends much of her time on a picnic chair while Desi scouts for mice....always comes in before dark though. Right now he is crying down there, my lord, this is so difficult.
Old April 10th, 2010, 01:44 AM

It's great you're trying to give the cats good homes.

I agree with the info about slow introductions & lots of patience.

Some good info I've found online:

Base Camp - How to Prepare for your New Cat, by Jackson Galaxy
http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?ac...eforyournewcat

INTRODUCING A CAT TO A NEW TERRITORY:
THE IMPORTANCE OF CONFINEMENT

From the San Francisco SPCA Cat Behavior Department
http://www.sfspca.org/sites/default/...a-new-home.pdf

Play Therapy is very important for a cat's mental & physical health. This explains how it will improve your cat's behaviour.
- http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?ac...therapyforcats

ADOPTING A PLAY-AGGRESSIVE KITTEN OR CAT
http://www.sfspca.org/sites/default/...essive-cat.pdf

Some people find it best to permanently keep the aggressive cat away from their other animals.

Some cats may benefit from access to a cattery, or enclosure, built onto the side of your home or other building, or some type of freestanding outdoor enclosure.

Little Big Cat.com also talks about how cats can be helped by natural or holistic remedies like Rescue Remedy for Pets & other spirit essences (some very favourable testimonials.) (I've seen different naturopathic ones available locally at Mister Natural and Loblaws Superstore.)

Some cat owners take their animals to a naturopath or holistic vet for help.

Taking your cat to a cat only vet might be a good idea.
- http://www.catvets.com/ - "Find a Feline Practitioner" (in the U.S. or Canada)

Some people consult animal behaviourists.

If all else fails, it may be best to find an unhappy cat a new home.

We took in a declawed cat that was not well socialized. He was aggressive & unhappy even knowing there were other cats in the house. I found info that says part of his problem likely stems from being declawed, as declawed cats often develop issues (they may feel vulnerable, experience ongoing pain...).

We were able to find him a home with a relative where he is the only animal in the house & no kids around. He seems VERY happy now.

(More info on declawing: Declawing & Science, by Jean Hofve, DVM
- http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?ac...maryofthefacts)

Article libraries:

Little Big Cat.com free article library (behaviour/health/nutrition):
- http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

SF SPCA resource library - Info for Cat Owners
- http://sfspca.org/resources/library/for-cat-owners

Best wishes to all!

We can be part of the problem or part of the solution. Inaction is part of the problem.
Please advocate for animals.
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:58 AM

catastrophy

Thank you for all the info. These cats have been together with us for seven years and we don't believe in declawing. The drama continues again today after keeping him in one room all night...he was meowing all night and even tore up the carpet trying to get out, so not sure that was a good idea, since it may have compacted the situation.

I had laced their food this morning with a little xanax and all was good for a couple hours, but now and again, meow has gone back to grrrr to only me. The cats are seeming to get along now and were touching noses earlier, he just hates me and I'm the one who takes care of him.
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Muddmutt I am sorry your going through this....I was wondering you said that Desi attacked Lucy recently right and then he went downstairs in the room? Now he is back out and it started again? Maybe just as a trial see if this helps to calm them down. Get some baby powder..rub it in your hands and then go and pet both cats with it. Make sure to get it on both. When I take one of my 2 cats to the vet and they come home smelling the like the vets, the animals etc they smell different to the other cat....which in turn makes mine fight! and they can be pretty nasty to one another! they are even brother and sister but the vet explained with animals alot of the issues are with the scent of another animal not who they may be.

There is obviously something going on with Desi that needs attention.

Has he been to the vet to determine why he is showing these signs of aggression?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown