Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Senior Contributor

mesh netting and hocky nets and window wells

I have to say that I sincerely hate the stuff. It has to be three of the main tools that animals get tangled/caught in. As a matter of fact, when I arrive to a call and notice either or, I tell them to get rid of it or when not using the hockey net, keep it in the garage and cover up...right away.

I have had chipmucks, snakes and other small wildlife tangled in mesh netting (usually used for gardens and ponds, wrap aroung trees), while I ever so careful cut them out of it, while they are stuggling to get away cause they think that I am going to kill/eat them. Luckly I have been fortunate and all were ok to be released on site.

For hockey nets, I have had baby skunks, squirrels, rabbits, and had a bird tangled in one a week ago.

Windows wells, another thing that officers cringe at. Expecially when not covered. I can't tell you how many calls I have had, where an sick and or injured animal has fallen into the and can't get out. Or babies that have fallen in can't get back out and just end up starving to death, until someones notices it. I also had a mother raccoon and her babies get wedged into a very small window well and couldn't get out. I had Humane Wildlife Control come and assist me in cutting them out of the window well. Had two strays moms have a litter of kittens in two separate calls.

So, if you own or use any of the above, please disguard them. And if you have a window well, buy a cover for it.

ACO22
Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

in each of my window wells I have a left over branch from trimming that I set there for just that reason, but I check them all the time for toads/frogs that hop in there.
Can I add one here? so far this year my daughter and I have captured two seagulls with those darn six pack holders around their necks, you know the plastic that holds six bottles of soda pop? Please take scissors and cut through them before you recycle or toss in your trash.

thanks for the great post and reminder ACO22
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

ACO,I don't have either of those things,but I bet people don't think it could harm animals,thank's for telling us.
Melinda,I too always cut those things up before they go in the garbage,I wish businesses did not use them period!
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I check them all the time for toads/frogs that hop in there.
*lol* I do too. A few years back, I moved into a basement apartment, cause I waiting this one partuial building to have apartments for rent. I didn't want to sign a lease and have to wait a year. I was out of the basement apartment within 2 months and thank god, I hated living in a basement, its way to loud.

anyhoo, back on topic. My living room window had a window well. Everyone morning before work, I would go out and fish frogs and toads out of the window well.

Happy to see I am not the only one *lol*

And yes thanks for the imput. Another thing that I hate is fishing lineing.

ACO22
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:43 AM

that was nice to read your thread.. is show that u r not happy for that...
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

The only thing i have is fishing line.if i get a tangle and have to cut my line i always carry a bag to put it in even pickup other fishing on the ground.that stuff stings if it cuts the human skin.don't need an animal to be tangled in it and cut up because humans are to lazy to pick it up and put in the garbage.
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:03 AM

how did it go with the baby skunk