Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:09 AM

Cat having problems after spaying (diarrhea)

Hello, I am a new user seeking desperately for some answers to my cat's problems so let me start by introducing my cat. Her name is soma and she is almost 3 years old. About 3 weeks ago she got her spay and her incision has healed pretty quick but her behavior and stools have changed for the worst. Let me start by describing the first changes: 2 days after her surgery at night when we go to sleep and we keep our doors closed she kicks and scratches the bottom of our doors throughout the night, we sometimes let her in but she never did that before. A week after the surgery she had diarrhea upstairs close to our bedrooms and it was of brownish army color, after that incident she has not pooped in her litter box. We thought she mightve been constipated because she wasnt peeing or pooping in the box but then we found poop in the closet , behind the couch and inside the chimney. I tried buying new litter , nothing. New litter box, nothing. My dad took her outside to the backyard and we saw her pee and poop under a tree and the poop looked normal.

About a week ago we found more diarrhea and for the past four days ive woken up around 5 am to my cat kicking my door, only to come out and have her spray diarrhea on the carpet in front of me, and the sad thing is when it happens she runs away scared leaving a trace for me to clean...

So I took her to the vet and he took a look at her so quick i am a bit worried hes not a good vet at all. He checked her temp, weighted her, checked her scar and gave me an antibiotic called albon and a dewormer packet that looks like sugar that ive been mixing with my cats food (chicken from a can). That day I gave her half a pill of albon and later she finally peed in the litter box ( A lot!) but she still has the diarrhea (shes taken albon for 2 days now). I really dont know what to do anymore, the diarrhea looks the same (light brownish army). My cats attitude during the day seems pretty normal but at night when she kicks the doors and poops is driving my parents crazy. I must say that she is a really nervous cat since she was a kitten and does not like people or sounds! but shes never had this issue before.

edit: As far as her diet nothing was changed, she still eats the same canned food and dry food she ate before the surgery.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma86 View Post
edit: As far as her diet nothing was changed, she still eats the same canned food and dry food she ate before the surgery.
What food is that?

Also, was she vaccinated at the same time that she was spayed? Is/was she on any post-op medications?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM

she was vaccinated a couple of days before the surgery (rabies and something else) but they did not give her any post surgery medicine as far as I know. The food ive been feeding her is a variety pack of cans from purinas friskies and same brand of dry food.

This morning we found pee on the sofa and my dad was super pissed and now is saying we're going to donate the cat, i just spent 2 hours cleaning everything ...
Old April 23rd, 2011, 02:52 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
she was vaccinated a couple of days before the surgery (rabies and something else) but they did not give her any post surgery medicine as far as I know. The food ive been feeding her is a variety pack of cans from purinas friskies and same brand of dry food.

This morning we found pee on the sofa and my dad was super pissed and now is saying we're going to donate the cat, i just spent 2 hours cleaning everything ...
Welcome to the forum!

Okay, for one it is not unusual for funky things to happen after a surgery.. as routine as spay/neuter is everyone once in a while a cat or a dog will have something weird happen afterwards. My one foster kitten had some diarrhea for a little while after getting spayed, but it cleared up after adding Probiotics and keeping her on a good quality food.

Secondly, Purina & Friskies and anything of that nature are not a good quality food to begin with. Picture yourself having surgery, and then after having surgery you were fed only a diet of McDonalds. You'd probably feel pretty yucky too!

What you really should do is grab some good probiotics such as Geneflora http://www.cycles-of-life.com/ProductGenefloraPets.html or something similar and try switching over to a good quality food.. letting use know where you live will be a big help so we can direct you to some good food.

Try giving your cat some canned pumpkin in the mean time.. 100% pumpkin, not the pie filling that has sugar. Not all cats will eat it straight, you can mix it in a small amount of whatever canned food you are already using so atleast you can get a head start on everything.

As far as cleaning up the messes, you should get Nature's Miracle. It is by far the best cleaner I have used
http://www.ilovenaturesmiracle.com/home/index.php

There is even a coupon on the home page you may be able to use.

Please confine your cat to a bathroom or spare bedroom with a fresh clean litterbox. Cat Attract is worth a try as well. http://preciouscat.com/precious-attract-p-5.html

Hope that helps!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:02 PM

thanks for the info, i just bought my cat some Wellness Chicken can and shes eating it as we speak. I gave her the antibiotic this morning but I haven't given her the dewormer yet because im worried its causing her more harm than good since the box says Panacur C CANINE. The vet told me to mix it up with her wet food for 3 days, this is supposed to be the 3rd day but im hesitant since I think its harming her.

Last edited by soma86; April 23rd, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That's for dogs and should not be used in cats, please do not give your cat any more and I would contact your vet (or another one that you trust).

http://www.animalshelter.org/petmeds...ormer/119.html

If cats have experienced pain while using the litter box, they may associate pain with using the litter box. Hopefully somebody will be be able to give you hints on how to retrain your kitty to use the litter box.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:56 PM

Well im going to do something horrible tonight but I feel I must do it in order to be patient for her to get well enough. Im going to keep her in the bathroom tonight when everyone goes to bed until very early in the morning because it is extremely excruciating to keep cleaning diarrhea that matches my carpet every morning. i will have her in there along with a litter box and her food as well as her little bed and blanket.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Well im going to do something horrible tonight but I feel I must do it in order to be patient for her to get well enough. Im going to keep her in the bathroom tonight when everyone goes to bed until very early in the morning because it is extremely excruciating to keep cleaning diarrhea that matches my carpet every morning. i will have her in there along with a litter box and her food as well as her little bed and blanket.
Actually, that is not horrible at all. In fact that is where she should be until she starts feeling better. A small room will encourage her to use the litter box again. She does not want to use furniture, carpeting, etc. Right now she isn't feeling well and it hurts to have diarrhea. As L4H said she associates the litter box with the pain she feels when she is trying to defecate. Therefore she avoids the litterbox. Being in a small room she will have not much choice but to use the box.
I would strongly encourage you to get the canned pumpkin and start adding a small amount (tsp) to her favourite canned food. Keep adding it until you see a great improvement in her stools. She has a lot of crap in her system. It needs to work it's way out. Quite a few of the kitties I've had s/n have had diarrhea afterwards.
A replacement for the Nature's Miracle if you find it too pricey is 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 cup water. Mix it together in a spray bottle and spray it liberally over the area the cat has urinated/defecated on. Good luck.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:06 AM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
That's for dogs and should not be used in cats, please do not give your cat any more and I would contact your vet (or another one that you trust).

http://www.animalshelter.org/petmeds...ormer/119.html

Maybe it is different for you guys, but it's labeled for cats & dogs where I live and I routinely use the Dog dosages of the Panacur because it's cheaper and I can get more out of it than for the cats. Fenbendazole is VERY safe and effective for a wide variety of species I buy it OTC here, I have a jar full in my kitchen right now.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Rx_Inf...nbendazole.pdf

It's common practice where I am for mixing all those types of things together.. I have used Panacur, Albon, Strongid and a few other meds together to battle bad diarrhea.. a few of my foster kittens probably would have died without the concoctions I've made. I just balance it out with Geneflora or another probiotic.

Old April 24th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Maybe it is different for you guys, but it's labeled for cats & dogs where I live and I routinely use the Dog dosages of the Panacur because it's cheaper and I can get more out of it than for the cats. Fenbendazole is VERY safe and effective for a wide variety of species I buy it OTC here, I have a jar full in my kitchen right now.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Rx_Inf...nbendazole.pdf

It's common practice where I am for mixing all those types of things together.. I have used Panacur, Albon, Strongid and a few other meds together to battle bad diarrhea.. a few of my foster kittens probably would have died without the concoctions I've made. I just balance it out with Geneflora or another probiotic.
Hmmmm, and I read the FDA has only approved this for dogs (hence the word "canine" . . Isn't the FDA in the States?

http://www.drugs.com/vet/panacur-c-canine-dewormer.html

Yes, leaving your kitty in the room with the litterbox is a good idea. Hopefully she will use it and realize it's not the box causing the issue and start using it again.

The other thing you may try is getting a totally different box, if the one you are using is a covered one, get her an uncovered one. Try using a different brand of kitty litter too. Cats can't reason like humans, so if it looks different and smells different, she may not associate what ever she is with her old litter box.

You could try adding a bit of Slippery Elm Bark (purchased in health food stores) to your cat's canned food. I have great success with Jasper when he has his "episodes" of diarrhea.

Good luck!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Love4himies; April 24th, 2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old April 24th, 2011, 10:39 AM

so she stayed in the bathroom over night and this morning when i went to check on her i saw that she hadnt pooped in the litter box but on the sink, the poop was half diarrhea, half solid so maybe the food change is a good thing!, there was no pee in sight and as soon as i let her inside she went behind the couch and peed but luckily i had plastic bags on the floor in case this happened which it did. I put the solid poop inside the litter box and will try again tonight. Btw the litter box that i left her in with is not the same box she usually uses but an open one with Cat Attract litter which was not cheap, if it doesnt work again tonight i will return it for a refund.
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:12 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Please take her back to your vet and have her checked for a UTI. If there is some way you can get a urine sample before going in it would help a great deal. In fact you say she urinated behind the sofa on plastic? That would be a perfect way to get a sample. Make sure the plastic is clean though and the sample goes into a clean, sterilized bottle. You could get the sample and take it to the vet asap to get it checked. You don't have to take kitty in for that. If you can't get to the vet right away put the sample in the fridge.
It sounds to me like there is something going on besides the litter issues.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:57 AM

could a UTI be the cause of the diarrhea? I asked this to the vet and when he checked her he said it was possible but since she actually pees a good amount the chances of being a UTi were slim .
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:25 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Hmmmm, and I read the FDA has only approved this for dogs (hence the word "canine" . . Isn't the FDA in the States?

http://www.drugs.com/vet/panacur-c-canine-dewormer.html
How weird.. we sell it OTC at the pet store I work at Under a few different brand names and it has instructions for cats on it. The states are kind of weird with things like that though Like, Drontal you need a script but other forms of dewormers you can buy at Walmart. It's weird.

Soma, I don't think most UTI's cause diarrhea directly. Maybe from the stress of it that can cause and upset tummy? Is she on anything like Clavamox? Clavamox is good for UTI's but at the same time can cause and upset tummy.

Old April 26th, 2011, 01:32 PM

my cat has had solid stools for the past 3 days and last night she pooped behind the litter box but did pee a bit in the litter box. This morning she pooped inside the litter box so looks like theres progress yay!

I think the new food ive been given her has had a really good effect on her, but the downside is that its a bit expensive. Besides Wellness, what other brands do u guys recommend?
Old April 26th, 2011, 01:46 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
my cat has had solid stools for the past 3 days and last night she pooped behind the litter box but did pee a bit in the litter box. This morning she pooped inside the litter box so looks like theres progress yay!

I think the new food ive been given her has had a really good effect on her, but the downside is that its a bit expensive. Besides Wellness, what other brands do u guys recommend?
YAY!!!! Many of the brands I use in the US aren't available in Canada, so I'm sure if you live there some of the others on here will tell you where to shop. I think Costco and Global are popular?

Old April 26th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Try grain free Felidae, it's cheaper.