Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 11th, 2004, 08:56 PM
banned user

A Few Questions About Little Kittens

If anything I say is wrong please correct it!
I was told by someone in rescue that these kittens I have will be eating watered down wet food on their own very soon. They are 4-5 weeks old now. I was told to start giving them the formula mixed with the watered down wet food to start them getting a feel for the different texture/taste, which I have been doing. Does this all sound right?
They have been biting on the nipple of the bottle to where I have to take pieces of it off (the hole is fairly large to pass the wet food) and also I have been going through nipples faster than the food! They push it to the side of their mouth so they can bite on it but I can hear them trying to suck at the same time. They did this with just the plain formula also, so I know it's not because of the food or textures. I thought maybe them biting on it is a sign they are ready to eat on their own but they won't touch it unless it's in the bottle! Is this normal?
Also she said we should keep them in a crate or box with litter and a blanket most of the time but if we are anywhere near them, they want out!! They go absolutely crazy as soon as they hear us and they climb on the front of the crate and hang on the door meowing like crazy till I break down and let them out.
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor

At 4-5 weeks old, they are old enough to start weaning!

You can get canned kitten food, and mix a bit of the formula in to make it sloppy and smooth and easy for them to lick up. Make sure the food is not cold.

Put the food in a low shallow pan for them, and have a damp towel handy, cause it's going to be messy!

Sit with them while they eat and if any don't seem to know how, put a little on your finger and dab on their mouths.

Is there a reason why you don't want them to come out of the crate? They SHOULD be out, playing and interacting with people as much as possible so they don't become shy or fearful. I only recommend confining them when you aren't home, or if they are not in a safe room where they cannot hurt themselves.

If you have a small room, like a laundry room that is safe, that would be a good place to keep them with their toys etc. But playing with them yourself and having visitors handle them is a good idea.

Even at this age, do not play with them with your hands. Use toys on strings.

Are they using a litterbox?
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You're so smart LR
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

IMHO
I would let them lick the food from a saucer myself sounds like they are ready I doubt they need the bottle now that they are chewing especially if they are chewing the end off.
As for the box great idea for the litter training issue, it can get messy when they start on the cat food but no harm in taking them out often to play I don't see why they should stay in the box all the time
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:22 PM
banned user

They are using the litter box but only when they're in the crate, when I let them roam they seem to forget where it is.
I would've liked them out all the time but for some reason the woman that I spoke to said to put them in a crate or box?
I have mixed wet food with the formula and put it in a shallow dish and they are messy with it, just not by eating it! They walk all over it, run in it and spill it everywhere. I have put a little on their mouths and they lick it off and then hop away! If I stop feeding with the bottle and give them the dish of food again instead will they eat it then? I've thought about doing that, but I don't want them to be hungry.
Oh and they are in no way gonna be shy or fearful, the first day it seemed like that but it's only been 4 days and I think I have permanant holes in my legs from them climbing up me to be held.
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like your doing great...........I know it gets a little messy ,they will catch on fast try it first thing in the morning when they are usually hungriest they will lap it all up then take the dish away try using a smaller saucer so they don't walk in it to much
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor

As I said, it would be okay for them to be out if the room was very small.That waythe litterboxes would always be within reach. When little kittens have to "go", they have to go NOW!

As for food, for now just put formula in the dish, and let them get used to eating from it with familiar food. It's harder when kittens don't have a mom to show them the ropes.

YOu can start add kitten food into the formula once they are comfortable with that alone. They'll get the hang of it!

In the "olden days" we always weaned kittens with Pablum, but times have changed!! Still, you might want to try that, mixed with the formula. It may make their transition to solid cat food easier.

And get a clothespin for your nose. Kittens are SOOOO STINKY and farty!!

Do we get a pic of the little devils???
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:42 PM
banned user

When I did have them out, I was smellin somethin nasty! lol I got the hang of it pretty quick, when ya smell somethin funny put them in the litter!!

I posted pics in another thread over the weekend. I'll put them here too.
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:47 PM

OMG! They are just so friggin cute!!!
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwwww - lookit the little stinkpots! I love kittens!!!
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:22 PM
banned user

Thank you thank you!
You know Lucky, you twisted my arm to post those pics twice!
I love taking care of them! I will be sad to see them go but it is definitely easier knowing they're going to a good home.
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:42 PM

Having kittens is the best thing in the world.....Your little guys are so cute....
They will break your heart when they have to leave though......trust me.
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:45 PM
banned user

They are staying in the family so I can see them when I want!
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow! They all have homes lined up? How nice. I would certainly enjoy fostering litters more if I were sure they would all be adopted.

Here is a litter I fostered from the time they were 3 days old. I know they look angelic, but they were rotten to the core and trashed my guest room.
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:55 PM
banned user

They are so cute!!!
They all have that same face like "I didn't do it".
From 3 days old? Wow, that's young. I thought this was gonna be tough being almost 5 weeks. I think these will be going to their new homes as soon as they're able to fully trash a room.
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Awwwww! Precious little fluff-balls! So cute!
Old August 12th, 2004, 03:53 AM

What a great thread! Sneaky, your kittens are going to family members? I missed how you came to have them, but sounds like you're doing a great job. Soooo cute! I didn't know little kittens were farters! I LOVE kittens and cats. Darn allergies...
Old August 12th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww Sneaky,you are doing a wonderful job for these little guys,they are the prettiest little thingys,I think I would be housebound if I had them
As for the stinkies,I so remember Vinnys stinky poops and the totally innocent look on his angel-face when he let go of a bomb,phew
Actually even now at 2 years old,he has no qualms about letting one go
Here's some baby-pics of my guys
Attached Images

Old August 12th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Haha! Isnt' that the truth, chico?? No inhibitions at all. Stinkerbelle has no problem with getting in my lap and farting in my face.

Quote:
I didn't know little kittens were farters!
Yeah - hard to believe that something so dainty and ethereal looking could be so horribly stinky, eh? I had to keep a couple of the kittens in the pic at arm's length!
Old August 12th, 2004, 01:16 PM
banned user

Thanks guys!!
And Chico, I pretty much am housebound, I can't leave em!
Old August 12th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Sneaky,in all the cuteness,I forgot to commend you on the wonderful job you are doing,they were sooo lucky you found them
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:28 PM
banned user

Aww thank ya