Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 12th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Honest Contributor

Obesity in America

holy cow... that is just so WRONG. http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=18503

i wonder how Canada fares??

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:53 PM

My man was in Indiana for the Grand Prix last week and he found it so hard to find a restaurant that served things that weren't disgustingly fatty, even for breakfast. Granted, as tourists, obviously it's harder to find things, but I know in Montreal, if a tourist wanted a healthy breakfast, it wouldn't be hard to find. For supper, there are tons of healthy restaurants too. They're all over. I just wonder if because that's all you see down there (in the area he was, I'm not saying all of the states are like that), that's all you crave?

We're catching up though and more fast food franchises are creeping in to help us fatten up.:sad:

There was a debate about whether or not pediatricians should use the term "obese" to kids... I don't think so. IMO, telling an adult who has total control over their lives is one thing but telling a child whose parents haven't taught proper eating habits is another. Kids (without medical conditions) don't get obese on their own- they're not buying the groceries, so why saddle them with terminology with such negative connotations?:sad:

I know a family with a chubby daughter and they blame her (she's about 10). They say it's her fault because she eats too much when they go to fast food places. She eats like 2 bigmacs by herself. How does she get those big macs? And on top of that, to put her on a diet, they just exclude her- no, we're thin so we get to go to McD's- you stay home and eat an apple. Just sickening, IMO. The WHOLE family should cut out the fat if one member is gaining weight. One person is just one symptom of something gone wrong with the whole system.

Last edited by Prin; July 12th, 2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Senior Contributor

OH it's terrible. Being overwieght isn't just about looks, it's a symptom of poor health.

A friend of ours flew to NJ from Arizona recently. They used to be allowed 70 pounds of carry on but this trip they were only allowed 50. They asked why and the flight attendant told them that they had to adjust it because the passengers had all gotten heavier.

I knew woman whose children were getting heavy and she wanted them to slim down before they got to high school so she just changed the habits of the whole family. Pretzels instead of chips. Salad at every meal. No more fired foods or fast food.

And because they were kids they had an occasional splurge. But kept the overall eating in a healthier plane. Not a diet, just a switch to healthier foods. The kids didn't feel like they were on a diet because the focus was on being healthier. The whole family lost weight, and looked great, and kept it off because they changed their whole way of thinking about food.

I'm pretty health conscious so I've learned to navigate the menus and I'm not afraid to ask for what I want and get substitutions etc. But if you don't live in a pretty populated area or a large city it's not always easy to find a healthy meal when you go out to eat.
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

We go to South Carolina every year and there are a huge number of obese people.
It's good for my ego,makes me feel great about myself,but obviously not great for the people.
The biggest problem seems to be All-you-can-eat Buffet Restaurants,hubby and I are no fans of Buffets,but it's getting really difficult to find a regular sit-down,place.
The amount of food people can eat is astounding!!
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Sadly we are catching up to the US. I find it disgusting that there are so many fat kids these are not just overweight they are fat. They live on junk and fast foods. Parents need to take responsibility this is where we develop our choices of good and bad.Plus if you let your kid sit on a couch and watch TV or play xbox all day no wonder they are getting fat get some exercise. When I was growing up my parents kicked us out everynight after dinner to play we used to have a neighbourhood hide and seek game or some other activity. Then we could come in for an hour of tv before bed. I am not saying no junk because I love it but I also eat healthy food and almost no fast food. Can't stand those things they call fries and burgers if I am going to eat fries they have to be worth all the calories and fat. I am sure if you saw the ingredients in those so called burgers, I am sure they are full of filler and I do not think they are made with grade a ground beef. Besides they taste like sandpaper. If you have to dine at one of these establishments there salads are pretty good that is my choice for these places. But all this supersizing and all you can eat is not a healthy thing. Hey I love a good pig out just as much as the next person but luckily I have never had a weight problem. I also watch what I eat now that I have passed the dreaded 40 mark and approaching the 50's. But I still fit into my old jeans they are my testing jeans to see if I have gained weight.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 13th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Honest Contributor

have any of you watched "Honey we're killing the kids" on TLC? kinda reflects the whole point of this thread... pretty fascinating show, with most successful and some failures, all pointing to the PARENTS and not the kids... sad, really. I think the introduction of computers, the internet and video games has changed our culture dramatically in 15 short years, and most children's past-times reflect that. think about how WE spent our childhoods... i don't remember much time spent inside lazing in front of the TV munching donuts! no, we were outside all the time, 4 seasons and in every kind of weather: we had snowsuits, rubber boots, the works, and we *loved* playing with our friends in the dirt, the mud, the snow, the sand, the grass, you name it. i really thank my parents today for making me ride my bike to go places instead of driving me, for making me eat my veggies before i got any dessert (which was often FRUIT!), for making trips to McD a treat and not a routine, for all of that... i just feel so sad for today's youth, where is their chance?

Old July 13th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Our neighbor,Baileys owner,just put up a huge trampoline for his 3 kids(I'm ready to call 911 ) and they are all involved in sports,slim trim kids...but even they eat junk,mom gets home late from work,so it's often pizza,McDon etc...but their time on the PC or game-boy is monitored.
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:39 AM
cat slave

interesting how you get an "obese" problem but as well you get people(usually in acting) that are extremely painfully thin.
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm 47 and its definitely more difficult as you get older to keep your weight under control.

I was in a 10 km road race on Sunday and did alright . . . . . I've got two half-marathons coming up.

Yet, according to the body fat index on the website above, I'm overweight.

In fact, I would have to lose another eight pounds to fit into the upper range of the scale . . . . . yet I've never had my weight down that low, even at my fittest.

You know, I'm just a pretty square body frame . . . . .

Sometimes I find these definitions fairly dubious . . . . . one famous running guru says the first thing you should do is throw out a weight scale.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Here's an interesting observation...I've noticed that most of the overweight kids I've seen are pasty-white (as in no tan, not caucasion). When I was a kid, I used to change colour every summer. As has been mentioned, video games and internet seems to be the thing that is in for past times now.

My street is covered in kids. I can separate them into two groups. The ones I see all the time, and the ones I only see walking to school (or to thier parents car when the bus drops them off). The ones I see all the time are the ones who play basketball at the end of my street, or ball hockey in front of my house, or riding thier bikes around. The ones I only see walking to school? Yup...pasty white and pudgy. I'd be willing to bet what thier past-time of choice is.

I think part of the problem is fast food and junk, but that is only part of it. I think the biggest problem is inactivity. I'm still losing weight, but I don't have a great diet. Sure, I get the chicken fajita at McDonald's instead of the Big Mac, but I still have ice cream a few times a week, a chocolate bar once in a while. But I also make sure I'm riding a few hours a week. And I'm not super-sizing the fries. And when I hurt myself and don't get on the bike for a while? I'm cutting back on the junk. But I don't focus on what I eat, I focus on my activity level, and adjust accordingly.

I also think the statistics are skewed. Any study I read that uses BMI I throw out the window. According to BMI, I'm obese. I'm right between 32 and 34. Yet, bodyfat-wise, I'm probaby "chubby". BMI doesn't take into account body compostion. And the fact that my Dr used BMI to determine how fit I am not only tells me that it is overused, but disturbing. I remember saying, "Do I look obese??" "But your BMI..."

Lastly, I think North America has become a society of victims. "It's not my fault I'm fat. McDonald's asked me if I wanted to upsize!" There's no personal responsibility. People will sit in thier couch which is permantly formed to the shape of thier butt, scarf down thier super-sized fast food combo, and say that they can't lose weight, or that it's genetics. I've heard so many people say it's genetics, then when you ask them the last time they walked, you get a blank stare. You can tell when something's genetics (not always, but usually). Look at the shape of thier shoulders, the way they carry thier weight. Ever see someone who "carry's thier weight well"? That's genetics. These days, when someone says that it's genetics that is making thier kids fat, it's enviroment. Mommy and Daddy always make McDinner, and never get up off the couch except to get to the drive-through, so of course Jr will be the same.
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:38 AM
-

Just finish eating my aldress pizza and fries. But it's only because I'm reallly stressed this week.I need one '"junk food lunch" per week.The stress burns all my fat,what can I say.But yes,when we were kids,friends or no friends,it was "go play outside and it's an order"!I see my nephew playing on his gameboy everytime he comes to my place,I have a pool,a big yard,fields all around and if my sister brings her 2 dogs that makes 5,but no,he has to play with his gameboy!
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Just finish eating my aldress pizza and fries!
This is just a sidebar that has nothing to do with nothing . . . . . but I'd never heard the term "all-dressed" until I went out East a few years ago.

I had no idea what anyone was talking about and had to have it explained.

Regional dialogue.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey Rick I thought you were at the cottage what are you doing inside? I agree Shwinn I never use a scale I can tell by the way I feel and my clothes fit. But face it people we walk our dogs daily and I take Bud even if I have to just go to the corner store. My dog is the couch potato in my place. I will walk anywhere if it is nice out. Boo used to love long walks and we would go for 3 hours at a time. Bud not so much. I find it sort of ironic some kids are so concerned about their weight and then some you can tell by their posture and demeanor they don't care in the least. I think a lot has to do with parents helping their kids build self esteem getting them involved in group activities we did all these things when I was a kid. This is how you enlarged your group of friends more friends involved better games. We had some of the best snowball fights on our street, who wanted to be inside.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

When I was a girl,it was "DO your homework and then go outside and play!"
Of course in those days,no PC,no gameboy...no TV in the day-time
We just walked Bailey and she refused to walk for long and guess why?
The kids were eating pizza for lunch
I could just hear Bailey,Got to get pizza,got to get pizza,now I pooped,so now I got to get pizza
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick C
This is just a sidebar that has nothing to do with nothing . . . . . but I'd never heard the term "all-dressed" until I went out East a few years ago.

I had no idea what anyone was talking about and had to have it explained.

Regional dialogue.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
(WARNING! -- Threadjacking in process!!) A few years ago, I went to Maine and me and my girlfriends ordered an all dressed large pizza and the bill was like 30-something dollars! I couldn't believe the price, but when we got home and opened the pizza box, we noticed they had put every single possible topping on the pizza!!!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
I also think the statistics are skewed. Any study I read that uses BMI I throw out the window. According to BMI, I'm obese. I'm right between 32 and 34. Yet, bodyfat-wise, I'm probaby "chubby". BMI doesn't take into account body compostion. And the fact that my Dr used BMI to determine how fit I am not only tells me that it is overused, but disturbing. I remember saying, "Do I look obese??" "But your BMI..."
I totally agree. I talked to sports medecine people who said my weight was abnormally high being that I was still a tiny person- most people generously put my weight at 140-150 (people I know are not just being nice) and I'm 190 these days. I'm chubby on account of stopping anorexia and having my thyroid mess up all at the same time, but still not chubby enough to deserve a number like that! Seriously though, BMI doesn't include big bones (yes they do exist) and much muscle. If you're slightly more muscular than the average, your BMI won't reflect reality.

That said, I think the problem is still there, regardless of how we test for it...
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
I 100% agree with you on this. BMI is not a good indicator of obesity or not. It does not take into account the fact that 1lb of muscle takes up the same amount of space as 3lbs of fat, and so if you're fit/muscular/active, you're going to be heavier than an unfit/less active person of the same height (who is not obese). We have a scale that you input your height and everytime you step on the scale, it them computes BMI (we don't use it for that purpose, but it does it). I think the only time I ever got on it and it said I was in the "normal" range was after I'd had the flu for a week and hadn't been able to keep hardly any food down. I lost nearly 10 lbs that week, and let me tell you, I'd rather be "overweight" by the BMI scale, than normal, if being normal means having no body fat at all because I'm more muscular than "average" people of my height. No body fat at all sucks.

I've pretty much learned to ignore the number on the scale I see. I've never had a weight problem, but I was always very active. However, 10 years ago, I injured my knee and had to give up almost all physical activity. Even swimming--which every doctor will tell you is the ideal form of exercise. I couldn't even walk without pain. I've been lucky and had it repaired now, but in those 10 years, my habits and my body have changed. It's not the end of the world, but I've gained 20 lbs since I got hurt. Part of that is muscle put on in other parts of my body (my legs are still not as muscular as they used to be), but I've also developed a taste for slurpees and beer, and combined with my inability to exercise, I've also developed a "beer belly". My bf's mom asked me once if I was pregnant--that's how I knew it was time to change it!

Regardless.... I think people get hung up on numbers and excuses. My ex-MIL once said that overweight people get treated poorly (she was overweight), but then when I asked if she'd come with me to walk her dog (I didn't have a dog then) she said that she'd rather watch a movie. I've never had to struggle with my weight, but it makes me very angry when people complain about being overweight and then refuse to do anything about it.
My doctor would tell me that based on BMI, I'm overweight. But when she looks at me, she usually says I'm too skinny. It doesn't matter what the number on the scale says, it matters whether you're healthy and physically able to do "normal" things. And for those of you who are older (over 60): I read an article by a University Researcher a few years ago that said it was better for an elderly person to be 10-15 lbs over their "ideal" weight than to do yo-yo weight loss (lose 10, gain it back, lose 10, gain it back). Losing weight and then gaining it back puts strain and stress on your body that could cause illness or even shorten your life. It's not worth it!!

That's my input on this.
Melissa
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Dogmelissa,I am over 60(slightly ),I have never really had any weight-problems,I eat and drink what I like,but in moderation.
It's however very difficult to loose a little protruding belly at this age..
I am 5'7 and weigh anywhere between 145-150,I am not obcessed with weight,but I like to look and feel good and know,were I really fat,I would not be happy with myself.
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

What i dont understand is when i see a kid that looks about 7 yeras old,severely overweight and they are eating at mcdonalds witht there parents,really find that disturbing and pretty bad parenting.
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I know Heidiho! But you can't say anything because maybe its a Thyroid and then you don't want to embarass the child as its not their fault.

I just want to ask them how they are helping their childrens lives. Most kids when they grow up they thank their parents for putting their foot down.... Some parents don't get that and rather give into anything so they can remain the good guys... Dont they know nice guys finish last especially with parenting. My stepdaughter is well conditioned in food habits, she knows she is to eat healthy and get a treat here and there. I heard her tell the soccer coach " oh don't worry my mom will bring only healthy food" all the other parents brought freezies and chocolate popsicles for half time. Hello Im only 26 and it was too long ago I was into soccer and we ate orange slices at every half time. Brought oranges and watermelon and not one kid asked where the freezies are and they loved the orange slices.
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I would never say anything but even if it was a thyroid problem that makes them that heavy i would be going somewhere else instead of mickie d's,you know..I cant imagine how hard it must be for a kid especially nowadays to be overweight when everywhere you look it is be super skinny or you wont fit it..When i do have kids i will do my best to keep them away from crap food and just start right off the bat eating healty and being active ,especially since i live in maui now.
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

If you see healthy chubby kids,you must blame it on the parents for not teaching children to eat right and not encouraging or teaching them how to do things.

My brothers daughters are 4 and 2, on the weekends the whole family goes biking along the lachine canal. (The two year old is in the carriage on the back on the bike..I don't know what you call it.) At night, they are swimming, or taking the dog for long walk in the woods. The children are not at home watching TV, they are active. When they get older, they will automatically be active as well and have proper eating habits.

Everyone is busy in the world, we must find to take short cuts on doing things so we can have extra time to do things we really enjoy. Growing up, my parents would make meals on Sunday for the week and freeze them.(stews, soups, tomatoe sauce etc) It was extremly rare we eat take out. With the time they saved from having the meal basically prepared, we were able to do things together and we ate healthy.

Last edited by poodletalk; July 13th, 2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Im very posty today so dont mind my ramblings but I have another issue.

I hate when people chide in about the costs of a smokers health care when they are 500 lbs. It seems its ok to make me feel bad for having a bad habit and not ok for others to talk about anothers eating habits b/c its rude. Anyone ever hear of heart disease and childhood diabetes... ?

Anyways I agree these habits have an adverse affect on the health care system I just don't get why we can have a stupid.ca and not a shouldyoureallybeatingthat.ca ??
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

PLease dont even get me started on the whole smoking thing(ha ha) i am addicted, hooked an ddont see how i will kick that one..
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Luvmypit,I agree with you and I have no facts to base anything on,however I believe being overweight causes probably as many medical problems and costs taxpayers as much as any smoking-related illness and then there are the boozers,but we won't go there
I remember a family in SC,mother must have been 300lb's as was the husband,the 3 kids were extreemly obese,eating like this was their last meal.
I would think if I grew up obese,having to live with the looks and sneers,you would not want your kids to go through the same
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Honest Contributor

as i said... http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/ho...anmain_leftnav = great show, i'm hooked and cheering the whole way! but only when the parents really want to adopt the program...

Old July 15th, 2006, 10:16 AM
<-----nut ball

But even if it's a thyroid issue, it shouldn't be huge excuse, because there are medications to regulate the thyroid. Granted, they don't always work, and people who do have thyroid problems, even if the problem is controlled, it is harder to lose weight.

Then there are other reasons like injuries and such. I am 5'7" and for about the last 5 years I have been between 170 and 175 lbs. For two years, I went to the gym 3-4 times a week, did weight training, cardio, swam a bunch, and I didn't lose a pound. I then tried yoga for 2 years, and still nothing (but I was a little more flexible). During that entire 4 years, I was in almost constant pain in my lower back and shoulder. I went to the doc, had xrays done, and it turns out I have minor scoliosis of my spine. Not a huge amount, but just enought of a curve (if you look at my back, the top part of my spine between my shoulders is a slight C shape) so that my left shoulder is higher and my left hip is lower, and my right side is a little squished. Because of this slight imbalance I have had since I was about 10 (I noticed the shoulder pain then, but when I went to the doc, he dismissed it, when if it had been caught then, it could have been corrected), I now walk funny, because one leg hits the ground faster (which i noticed, but didn't really think about) and my whole body is out of whack, and it gets worse each year.

I stopped working out at all, and I haven't gained any weight, which is nice. It seems like no matter what I do, I can't gain or lose weight. Doc thinks I am overweight (again, bmi), and is thinking of sending me to an endocrine specialist to see if maybe my enzymes, etc, are out of whack, since thyroid didn't show anything.

Yet, even if they are, I can't walk more than 2 blocks without getting pain in my left hip and shoulder now. And what REALLY sucks, is there is not a darn thing I can do about it. I went to a physiotherapist, and she said I could try and strengthen the muscles to compensate for the imbalance, but it probably wouldn't help, and working out will always give me pain. Sucks huh?

It still bothers me when I see people super overweight, but then I think, what if they have something medical, because you never know.

Then there are the people like my sister's neighbour. Both her kids are huge!! She is a stay at home mom and all she buys are packaged fried crap food, because her excuse is she doesn't know how to cook.

I would like to eat a little heathier myself though, but it's really hard because my BF refuses to change some of his eating habits (he will NOT switch to brown rice no matter how hard I try, he is philipino and has to have white rice with EVERY MEAL!) I would like to start eating more grains and beans as protein sources, but he won't even touch them. And good quality low fat meat (like chicken breast) is soooooo expensive these days.
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

BMI is absolute cr@p. This photo was taken 3 years ago at a spring training camp in Florida. My friend Eric is 20 lbs "overweight" and I am 10 lbs "overweight". IMO we look a little on the skinny side....I weigh over 15 lbs less than that now (lost all my muscle, and a tonne of weight when I stopped training) and am nowhere near as fit..(thank you 4 lbs a month!!!!)

cr*p, it's HUGE!!! sorry

Last edited by Puppyluv; July 15th, 2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Raingirl, have you looked into orthotics in your shoes, to bring your feet into balance and give you better alignment? I have scoliosis too but very mild, never had a problem with my back, touch wood.
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:12 PM
<-----nut ball

I suggested orthotics to a few health professionals (physio, chiro, and family doc) and all three didn't think it would help.