Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 17th, 2011, 12:30 AM

PawsRUs raided

More than 400 dogs seized from kennel in Quebec
Owners were previously investigated over conditions
By Meghan Hurley, The Ottawa Citizen September 16, 2011 11:04 PM The owners of a dog-breeding kennel near Shawville say more than 400 dogs were taken away Friday after investigators showed up armed with a warrant.

ANIMA-Quebec employees arrived Friday morning to inspect the kennel in Clarendon Township, about 90 minutes northwest of Ottawa, said owner Charlene Labombard.

They left, but came back to the Paws “R” Us kennel around 4:30 p.m. with a warrant to seize all the dogs.

“I’m losing my livelihood and I’m very upset,” Labombard said, trying to hold back tears. “It just breaks my heart.”

The Labombards said the inspectors told them they were seizing the dogs because of cobwebs on the ceiling, because the floors weren’t tiled and the kennel didn’t have proper ventilation.

By around 6 p.m., two transport trucks arrived on the Labombard property to take the dogs away.

The Labombard family started breeding dogs on its former pig farm in Clarendon Township when the pork market collapsed almost 20 years ago.

Puppies at the kennel are kept in open pens in a barn and an addition to the farmhouse.

Larger dogs are housed in a larger barn in pens lined with plastic material.

Daughter Nicole Labombard, who helps run the kennel, said they play country music for the puppies because it keeps them calm.

The kennel does not screen the dogs for genetic disease, as some breeders do, but the buildings are cleaned and disinfected daily, Labombard said. The kennel breeds about 30 types of dogs in its barns.

Nicole Labombard said the kennel added an outdoor, wood-burning furnace several years ago to provide hot water heating for all of its buildings.

She said the kennel provides safe walls for the dog pens and comfortable, perforated floors to drain urine and feces.

The Canadian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Montreal said in 2006 that investigators had visited the kennel four or five times in two years after receiving complaints about the condition of dogs.

The SPCA did not lay any charges, but asked for changes to be made. Each visit showed a slight improvement in conditions, the SPCA said in 2006.

The SPCA was legally responsible for regulating kennels until Quebec’s Animal Welfare Act changed to give that power to ANIMA-Quebec, an agency established by dog breeders and the Ministry of Agriculture.

The kennel made headlines in 2006 when they sued Lorie Gordon, a Brockville dog owner, for libel because of comments she made about the business on an Internet bulletin board.

Gordon bought a Labrador retriever from Paws “R” Us and had it euthanized two years later after it developed a heart murmur and painful hip dysplasia.

The kennel gave her a golden retriever as a free replacement.

It scratched itself until it bled because of itchy mange and was now being treated for epilepsy.

Gordon was ordered to pay $14,000 after a judge found she had libelled the commercial dog breeder online.

mhurley@ottawacitizen.comtwitter.com/meghan_hurley

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Mo...#ixzz1YBPEpP3g
Old September 17th, 2011, 01:05 AM

What great day I guess dreams do come true, this also proves if you believe in something you should never give up. These dogs will now know love for the first time, they will feel grass on their paws for the first time in their life. Well done, thank you to everyone who was there for these dogs.
Old September 17th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Owned by goldens

Pawsrus

Old September 17th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Lori was a member of this board if I remember right.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old September 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.hsi.org/world/canada/news...ue_091711.html

came through on the humane society board....guess it was pretty gruesome according to some, and yes, Lorie was/is a member on the board.
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:41 AM

http://www.montrealdogblog.com/10110...wville-quebec/
Old September 17th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I hope they shut this mill down once and for all.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 17th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Any day a puppy mill is shut down is a good day! Let's hope they stay closed!

Gemini~July 11, 2001-September 13, 2011
Libra~July 11, 2001
Savannah~2006
Michelle~2004
Sweetie~1996
Bailey~June 29, 2010
Old September 17th, 2011, 03:46 PM

People this place will not open again, they are closed and will remain closed.
Old September 17th, 2011, 09:26 PM

More than 400 dogs seized from kennel in Quebec

Some here may remember a case that started with this kennel, well karma is all I will say...... May these dogs have freedom.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...312/story.html

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Mo...604/story.html

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome
Old September 17th, 2011, 09:54 PM

Great news, it was only a matter of time.
Old September 17th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

"Commercial breeder" right??? wasn't that what they were called?
Lets hope and pray that this is the end for them and a new beginning for the dogs
Old September 18th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I saw that piece of crap backyard B$%#tch tonight on the news. Crying and sobbing, I love my dogs.... Unfning believable. I wanted to reach through my TV and choke the snot out of her and her moron family.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old September 18th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Senior Contributor

more pics.

http://www.ottawasun.com/breeder
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:03 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

People don't seem to care here in Quebec that our "standards" are comparable to 3rd World Countries. Is there ever going to be any accountability for our unregulated puppy mill industry? Uh Huh, endless topic!

I wonder how Deputy Judge M. Galligan (who ruled in Paws "R" Us favour) is sleeping these days? The power was in HIS hands years ago but his ruling allowed for their continued horrific suffering in the hands of these hillbillies. Everyone seen the video of how this family is mortified that they are viewed as abusers when they consider their *commodities* family? I just about passed out.

But for these dogs and their puppies, life has changed today ~ Hallelujah ~

http://www.montrealdogblog.com/10149...-seizure-long/

For Quebec , for me and most of all for the dogs seized today.

Some of my volunteer work is with a rescue organization based in the U.S called Red Rover .

There are people from Montreal who like me, pass a course to become first responders to animals in distress all over North America.

We are “deployed” whenever there are major mill raids or emergency weather condions that warrent temporary shelter. In many cases these deployments are in the southern U.S so its not always feasable to go.

I was fortunate to be involved with this team in a Montreal raid 2 years ago and finally after much frustation , today’s raid which will prove to be the largest in Quebec history.

In between I have helped with other raids in Quebec with the SPCA Emergency Shelter .

This is my happy place, my reason for being.

I held my breath all week knowing something was brewing but not being told where until the very last minute.

You should know this happens a lot. Mill owners get a warning to clean up and if they pass inspection … basic food, water and shelter , raids are called off. Of course after the authorities leave the premises the misery returns.

Today was different.

The first truck arrived at our tempoary shelter at 3 a.m.

Volunteers had been working up until that moment setting up rooms, building crates, organizing rows upon rows of clean , warm , comfortable places to lay a weary head. Vets were there setting up with medications for their triage . All in wonderful clean buildings that once were offices now transformed into a gigantic dog shelter. It really is amazing to see.

And from that moment on , the lives of over 400 dogs had changed , hopefully forever. I say this because even though the dogs are freed , there is still the impending court case we have to win. It’s not always easy. And until this is settled the dogs cannot leave the premises . No adoption can take place as technically these dogs do not belong to us.

But today one by one, each dog was removed from the transport truck cage , given a hug or a kiss and led to a clean space with fresh food and water. Then again one at a time, they were taken to a triage where they were vetted.. most likely for the first time.

All the moms and babies have their own nursery tonight with round the clock care .

All the adults don’t have to live in fear and go to sleep hungry or thirsty.They also will have all night care.

They don’t know yet that we are there to help them. There are sad, lost eyes. And still fear…. for that’s all they have known. And have that puppy mill smell about them . (Baths will have to come later in the week.)

We will see a change as they start to come along. I have yet to meet a puppy mill dog who didn’t progress somewhat. Each is a different case with different issues. They need patience and understanding. As do all dogs.

There are dogs of all breeds , ages and sizes. I don’t normally see that. They certainly must have made a lot of money so I would expect they are going to fight this.

Because this is a criminal case, I cannot post any personal pictures as of yet nor say where these dogs are…. but they are not in Montreal . In the coming weeks I would think they will be looking for volunteers for socializing and cleaning, Montreal Dog Blog will pass along this information as soon as we can.

Today was hard both pysically and mentally , as initial set up and intake always is. You get to see how bad they really looked and lived. Many had horrible skin conditions.

But..I cannot tell you how wonderful this day was for anyone in Quebec animal rescue. It gives us some hope for the future. There were volunteers with Red Rover today from Maryland, Florida , Mass, all over Ontario . They knew us as the Puppy Mill capitol. We really need to give up that title.

Will post tomorrow night on how Day 2 goes. When I left there were still people waiting for the last truck to unload. Some of them will still be there when I arrive tomorrow morning.

TPK
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:06 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryMom View Post
Any day a puppy mill is shut down is a good day! Let's hope they stay closed!
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi members,

Just a note that there were 2 threads on the same topic. Those 2 threads have now been merged into this thread. Thx! marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:06 AM

Every time I heard of a raid I wonder if that is where Leo's mom is
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Many people have waited YEARS for this, I too hope the Judge feels real good about himself, I am sure the appeal will be something to see, btw it's Dec 14th.
For all the dogs born and breed in pru barn, I hope the ones that have passed can now Rest In Peace. I am SURE a sweet golden is doing the happy wiggle in heaven and is very happy people didn't give up or hide.
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

This woman is delusional right!! What a sicko, they should throw every charge at her, take her farm she doesn't deserve it! She needs to live in a very small dark jail cell!
Old September 18th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Let us know if more volunteers are needed

To anyone "in the know": Please PLEASE let us know if volunteers or supplies are needed - - I'm sure a lot of us would be happy to clean cages or whatever is necessary to help these dogs.

Old September 18th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJessy View Post
To anyone "in the know": Please PLEASE let us know if volunteers or supplies are needed - - I'm sure a lot of us would be happy to clean cages or whatever is necessary to help these dogs.

That's wonderful for stepping up to the plate

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 18th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Definately keep us in the loop as far as supplies, I am a little far to do any volunteer but we can raise money up here like its no body's buisness, by doing many fun fundraisers, not to mention get stuff together that a rescue or shelter may need in a case like this.
Old September 18th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Thank you Golden Girls for what you do! I have followed Lorie's story from way in the beginning and was overjoyed to see Friday's events on the news.

Brenda
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:12 AM

This person writes about what she happen the day after
http://www.montrealdogblog.com/10187...reality-check/

Never their fault

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/09/18/...she-was-framed
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:14 PM

Anyway who is looking to help or can donate items - here is the list of items needed, along with current drop off points :

http://www.montrealdogblog.com/10206...op-off-points/
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Told You So View Post
This person writes about what she happen the day after
http://www.montrealdogblog.com/10187...reality-check/

Never their fault

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/09/18/...she-was-framed
I couldn't access the first link, do you think it was taken down?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 19th, 2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I couldn't access the first link, do you think it was taken down?
I just read this on Montreal Dog Blog's FB page :

FYI: While we haven't been approached by anyone to remove them, TPK's personal posts from the puppy mill rescue have been taken down as a precaution for the time being. It's a gripping issue - but also a legal one and we need to be careful of what gets out for now. We'll continue to post what we can - and keep you in the loop regarding donations. Know that all the volunteers and rescue crew are working tirelessly behind the scenes! Thanks for your support!
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:53 PM

Until the dogs are signed over from the owners they are not truly safe
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:09 PM

"Charges will be laid against Paws "R" Us within 90 days", said Agriculture Minister Pierre Corbeil.

As stated in the video!

watch this video, http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=MontrealHome

Last edited by Told You So; September 20th, 2011 at 07:56 AM.