Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 22nd, 2014, 02:51 PM

Question Getting another female dog, current dog is in heat. Will there be a problem?

We are considering getting another dog, but our current dog is in heat at the moment. We're worried that there will be problems between the two when they meet for the first time as the dog we are adopting is spade, and our current dog hasn't been yet. Our dog is a Pomeranian, 7lb. And the dog we are adopting is a Toy Australian Shepard, 10lb.

I want it to go as smooth as possible and would love to have some tips and advice for introducing two females to one another.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=2465&

According to this web site female dogs can fight a lot more . How is your dog acting while in heat, is she acting more territorial while outside and in the house ?
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:09 PM

No, she seems to be sleeping more, closer to me as well. More skittish around loud noises, unknown dogs and people. Other then that she seems normal. She has never really been territorial with toys or even treats, more often then not if she is having a treat with my boyfriends moms dogs they can take it from her and she wont do a thing but look at you for help.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.petmd.com/dog/training/ev...a_resident_dog

I found this web site it might help , I think it would be best to keep your pet on a leash and have someone keep her back while you bring your new dog in the house. I know people will bring home an item that smell like their new baby so their pets can get use the baby smell. Maybe it would help if you could get an item that smell like the new dog so your dog can get use to her smell. Maybe someone else can give you some suggests too.
Old July 26th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

In the past, we fostered many dogs. Most of them were females, before we brought the new dog into the house, we took them for a walk together. We now do INHOUSE boarding and with new dogs again we will take them for a walk together. So far, everything has worked out well. We do keep an eye on them and watch for any unwanted behaviour and nip it in the bud. Good luck !

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.

Tags
female dog, fights, heat, introduction, second dog