Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM

Urban dog owners - in response to the original rant

I came across this "blog" or "opinion piece" of sorts (not sure what this really is) where someone goes an a rant about urban dog owners and how we are disgusting, etc.

http://www.weeklygripe.co.uk/a84.asp

Reminded me of when a friend came over and saw our cat jump on the kitchen counter; she was so digusted "ew, you let the cat on the kitchen counter???!!!!! but he is dirty!!" I decided not to tell her that he often helps me in the kitchen with dinner, just as he did that day with the one i was about to serve

Maybe thats just me, but i am not repulsed or disgusted by anythhing related to my cat or dog... i love them as they are, butt likcing and all

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

My cats don't generally jump on the counter, so I am lucky. I that I am not disgusted with my pets either, just like I wasn't with my child. Maybe love is blind to their habits???

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
~Cat Servent~

It is very rare that I eat or serve a meal that does not include that 'special' ingredient... FUR! I have six cats, I love them all, they go where they please and are included in just about everything I do.... my guests know that and don't usually mind picking out the odd stray fur. And I have given up having the first sips out of a glass of ice water.... I have to wait in line.

I think fellow pet owners understand and sympathize, others are missing out on that unconditional love so are naturally more cranky and liable to complain about how unruly our pets are.... they're just jelous that there is no one that needs to be by their side all the time! The poor things! :sad:

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What an angry weirdo

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Urban dog owners’ houses and apartments literally stink of dog sweat, various mucous membrane dog fluids and dog's bad breath. Urban dog owners’ clothes also emanate a putrid doggy odour and are covered with dog hair, alive with fleas and impregnated with flakes of mangy dog skin.

I think this person has serious issues that have nothing to do with their doggy poo gripe. Sheesh, anyone who takes that much time out of their day to write something like that needs to be on medication.

I used to have just 3 jumping on the counter, but Maks finally realized he can do it to! I don't mind mine being up there. My only issue about it 1. Safety. Them dropping something breakable that's up there, and 2. they like to stick their faces close to where I'm cutting! More often than not, I'm having to take hold of one who is getting too close to my knife and put them on the floor, only to have another one try and do the same investigating.

LOL, and as for being grossed out, well I do find some thing's gross, but I clean their little butts when they need them cleaned. I take care of their little eye boogeys too. Just the other night, Maks got some poop on his tail and back legs, so there I went cleaning him up. I didn't think anything of it, I just picked him up, put him in the sink and began washing away his poop and his little butt.

It's the same as having a child. Most parents think nothing of wiping away some loose snot from their kids nose or wiping their kids butt.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/

Last edited by ancientgirl; May 13th, 2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

My critters don't gross me out at all, and we very often have hair as a condiment.

One of my girlfriends has a small ****zu type dogs and she can't stand Dazy. She thinks she's cute, but freaks out if Dazy approaches her in fear of getting hair or drool on her, seriouisly, Dazy can't even say hello to her before she's telling her to get away, and the faces she makes...she is repulsed by it.

I do my best to ensure Dazy uses her manners, and have taught my friend how to speak to Dazy so she'll listen - she use to back up whining..no dazy no...I had to tell her, if you don't want the wiggle butt stuffy in your face greeting, you need to beat her to the punch and my friend always wears the grubbiest clothes over in fear of drool, she feels she needs to wear painting or camping clothes to my house every time she comes.

She always feels the need to say..."I like Dazy, she's cute, but I'm not use to it so I just don't like her, she's too big and dirty, sorry". I always tell her it's ok, I understand. We visit weekly, its the same routine each time.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

personally, i don't want my cats walking about the counter where food is prepared. they step, claw, and dig in the litter box - and I have YET to see either of my cats wash their paws after doing so. and by WASH, I don't mean spit-shine... I mean disinfect. sure, my cats DO hop up on the counter every now and again, but never in the food prep area, IMO, it's simply unsanitary.

I'd never be disgusted by my pets, but like I expect the rest of my family to behave, there are manners & rules to follow, as well as a time and a place for certain things. licking my face after licking something else (ahem...) is NOT an option. as for my dog going up to lick someone else... well, you'd be lucky if he let you so much as touch him. he's certainly not going to run up to a stranger and lick them.
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76 View Post
personally, i don't want my cats walking about the counter where food is prepared. they step, claw, and dig in the litter box - and I have YET to see either of my cats wash their paws after doing so. and by WASH, I don't mean spit-shine... I mean disinfect. sure, my cats DO hop up on the counter every now and again, but never in the food prep area, IMO, it's simply unsanitary.
I don't know if your comment was directed towards me or anyone else, but there is nothing unsanitary about my kitchen other than the words that come out of my mouth because it takes me twice as long to prepare anything to eat, because of my 4 "helpers". I prepare my food on a separate board they do not walk on, and I clean my counters with vinegar and water solution 2 or 3 times a day.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old May 13th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

just as you quoted from me... i said PERSONALLY. did I direct it at you or anyone else? no, so don't assume I did. I said PERSONALLY. i'm fairly certain I'm entitled to my personal opinion.
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

You are entitled to your opinion, but I don't believe my comment was written in a hostile manner, so there is no reason for you to take it that way.

Old May 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I have never caught one thing from my animals....all the kisses, paws in litter, bum licking, bum wiping, eye-booger cleaning, etc.....Never got sick eating the odd stray dog/cat hair either.

but I have caught many a cold, flu, virus off the germ-bag humans I know or work with that don't cover their mouths when they sneeze/cough, don't wash their hands after the bathroom, germy door handles and telephones, etc.....

I trust my animals sanitary habits more than people's
3+ cats......Surround sound

Last edited by dogcatharmony; May 13th, 2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: add comment
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I prepare my food on a separate board they do not walk on, and I clean my counters with vinegar and water solution 2 or 3 times a day.
Same here. I have a board where all the food prep takes place and where he is not allowed (especially for safety reasons...)

I have to admit that sometimes I kiss my kitty's paws (he is an indoor kitty). They are just so pink and cute and soft i cant help it Yes, yes i know the litter box and the paws digging in it... (Jessi you must be going while reading this... ) But i really cant help it, his paws are just TOO cute

Comon, he even has a little freckle on his paw!!! (no its not a piece of poo )
Attached Images

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I kiss mine on the paws too. They don't always have their paws in litter, so I don't find anything terrible about it. Mine often walk in the sink either after I wash my hands, or after I do the dishes, or after I take a shower they go in the shower. So at some point their little paws get all that litter residue off of them.

Your little guy is super cute. He looks like my Maks.

Old May 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

My cats are allowed anywhere they can jump,I too have a large cuttingboard where I prepare food.
However Vinnie loves to sit and watch me on the counter,waiting for a tidbit and he usually gets one.
I don't feel there is anything dirty about my cats and I love their little paw-pads,pink or black,I'll kiss them just about anywhere
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Puss-Puss used to jump up on my counter to check out the coffee mug-rack I had on the end of it. Once in awhile I'd put one of her little fake mice inside one of the mugs and she really thought she'd found something.
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL, that's cute! But I hope they were plastic mugs. If I did that with mine, I'd have pieces of mugs all over.

Old May 14th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76 View Post

I'd never be disgusted by my pets, but like I expect the rest of my family to behave, there are manners & rules to follow, as well as a time and a place for certain things. licking my face after licking something else (ahem...) is NOT an option. as for my dog going up to lick someone else... well, you'd be lucky if he let you so much as touch him. he's certainly not going to run up to a stranger and lick them.
I agree with the manners and teaching discipline, not so easy with cats, they are not as compliant as dogs. How do you know your kitties don't walk in the food prep area when you are not looking? Sweet Pea will not jump up on the counter when we are awake, but I have seen evidence every once in a while when I wake up that she has been. She is sneaky!!

I personally never, never, never put food directly on the counter, it is always prepared on a cutting board or a plate that has been cleaned in a dishwasher.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Last edited by Love4himies; May 14th, 2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I agree with the manners and teaching discipline, not so easy with cats, they are not as compliant as dogs. How do you know your kitties don't walk in the food prep area when you are not looking?
I don't know for sure, but I have a fairly good sense that they don't. There's really nothing for them in the food prep area, and they're not interested in any food that is out - i.e. fruit bowl, veg basket, or bread. If I'm chopping something they ARE interested in (like chicken or cheese), they must follow the same rule as the dog... all four on the floor, wait patiently, and perhaps a tidbit will be tossed your way. if you're all up in my face, or under my feet, begging for it, you are S.O.L. Frequently, I'll turn around from the counter to see all 3 (both cats and dog) sitting in a line behind me... and of course, a lineup like that gets rewarded.

it's just habit now, they aren't allowed up there, and aren't interested in being up there either. there's so much more exciting stuff around the house for them... open windows around the house w/ bird feeders just outside to keep them entertained. my boring kitchen certainly can't compete w/ live birds just outside the window.
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:38 AM
-

My guys are not allowed on the counters or tables. The dogs are not allowed on the furniture either, that stems from years ago when we had 5 dogs, it would be a battle to get a seat. The dogs are not allowed upstairs in the bedrooms, although Skippy thinks that rule does not apply to him. I guess it is just a matter of personal preference.