Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you do anything with your pets that others might find....

...disgusting?

I can put something tiny in my lips (sunflower seed, peanut, etc) and Dracko will take it very gently from me. Non dog people seem to find this disgusting.

And, I am the type of person who wouldn't drink out of another human's glass but would be more apt to eat something my animals had touched. If I go to give something to Dracko or my cats and they sort of smell it and touch it with their mouths, I'll eat it.

I also will clean eye boogers out of my cats/dog's eyes. Typically, I use a kleenex or something but if I didn't have one I'd rather just wipe it out than leave it there.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:29 AM
Animal Nut!

hahaha.. yes i soooo agree... my cat licks in my ears and licks my hair and face... the worst of it is that she licks my toes... I cant stand a human male doing that but i tollerate it from Lexie(my cat)!!!
And my dog... well... if a male snores in my bed that is "sooo Bad" but Quin can do it... he can even share my pillow... or more to the point... take over the pillow and most of the bed!!!
and yes, I used to let my rotti gently take things from my mouth....... non doggy ppl think its disgusting.... oh well... never mind! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
We doggy ppl are a breed unto ourselves!!!!.

R.I.P. Cassie, one of my greatest LOVES. My Rotti.(The Gentle Giant).

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:19 AM

I take my two girls [shih zus] down to the store for an ice cream quite often. I get a lick and then they get a lick and so on and so on till it is gone. Wife thinks it is digusting,,especiaaly since one of them is a pooh eater when she gets a chance. I just try not to think about that when she is licking the ice cream,,she also likes to give little "sh-t kisses too,,lol
Dobb
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:44 AM
Helicopter Champion

I let the pups lick my hair and face. At times, I'll put my face really close to Jack and when he sticks his tounge out to kiss me I'll curl my lips in and catch his tounge between them (my facial hair help to hold his tounge in place)
Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I put a small cat-treat between my lips and Chico will take it ever so gently,also I always let Rocky have a lick of butter when I have a sandwich,hubby think's it's disgusting
I kiss their ears,mouths and little wet noses all the time,nothing is disgusting with my kitties
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Young at Heart

My favourite thing is to let the dogs lick a dinner plate - and that's the most fun when there's non-dog people there
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Helicopter Champion

My pups will stick their heads into the dishwasher and lick all the plates (my neighbour's dog does the same in theirs)
Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanM View Post
My favourite thing is to let the dogs lick a dinner plate - and that's the most fun when there's non-dog people there
I agree. Most non animal people are disgusted by the thought of animals licking the plates.

*** Beware if you come to my house. There probably isn't a bowl or plate the dog/cats haven't licked off of before it is washed.***
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We disgust some people just by putting up with the hairballs...they usually leave after seeing the army of tumblehairs floating down the hall. So they don't get to fully appreciate the extent of what we get from the dogs--kisses, hair in our food, dirt on the floor, morning licking, hair on the bedding, afternoon licking, ticks, evening licking, and unconditional love... (That last one, is, of course, far and away the most important! )

Usually, one dinner cures guests of wanting to participate in another. "You say you found a dog hair in your food?! Shhhhhhhhhh...everyone will want some!"

I even have a trivet that proudly proclaims "The cook is not responsible for dog hair!" he he he

*giggle* This is why I'm soooooo looonely
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogastrophe View Post
My pups will stick their heads into the dishwasher and lick all the plates (my neighbour's dog does the same in theirs)
My dogs are famous for this
My man's mother thinks it is absolutely disgusting.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:53 AM
Lucy's daddy

I don't know why Lucy loves to lick my eyes and the inside of my ears in the morning, but some find that disgusting.

When Lucy yawns, I quickly grab her tongue from inside her mouth and rub it against her nose. Then she starts licking my nose and some people find that disgusting.

Whenever I'm done eating, Lucy has to get a taste of my lips. People find that disgusting.

I sometimes gently bite Lucy's tommy or her 8 nipples and some people hate that! I've been accused of being into animal sex just for doing this!

Also sometimes while playing, I chase Lucy and get a hold of her tail between my teeth. She goes nuts!

Overall it seems like I'm the one that needs to be trained against biting and being a pain in the ass, because she's more mature than I am!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:59 AM

I used to think dogs licking my face was disgusting until I got a dog. Now, no problem! I let my cats walk all over the kitchen counters. It is ok with me because 1) they can get away from the dog up there, and 2) I can't keep them off 'em anyway (at least, not when I'm not around!). Sure, there's cat and dog and my hair in the food (how could there not be as its floating around in the air)... it's ok w/ me, but on the rare occasion when people are over I do try and be more careful. Seems like most people I know are allergic to cats, dogs or both, so not too many guests in my house.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

If i am eating ice cream roxy is right there and she will sit as still as a statue and patienly wait for a lick and yeas i will dab a little on my lips for her to,i have no problem w/kisses from my pet i have to try that sticking a treat in mouth and letting her take it
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
Animal Nut!

I also let the cat eat her dinner on the dinning room table (off a plate) coz she's out the way of the dog, and let her paw food from my plate.
I also used to paint my rotti's nails bright red.
As for pets licking plates, Its like I say to my mum..."how else are the plates gonna get clean?" ....hence, mum and dad NEVER eat at my place!
Lexie (cat) has a little bowl of biscuits by my pillow which she eats at night, she gently taps me on the head and I have to place the bowl at her feet....even if it means simply moving the bowl half an inch towards her. Guess you know who rules the roost at my place!

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Performance Spaniels

Nightly occurance in our house.. Cider's so addicted she does it at other people's houses, lol. Her and Jazzy tag teamed the dishwasher in NY.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:19 PM

Tara loves the taste of beer, so if I am having a beer I sometimes will hold some in my mouth and let it trickle out real slow and she drinks it from my mouth. (If my mother in law saw that she would keel over and die for sure lol)
I dress Tara every morning in her clothes and her jammies every night, that believe it or not gets more comments of " good grief" than anything else I do. Mind you when I say " Tara come get your jammies on" or " Tara time to get dressed" and people see her reaction the soon shut up.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Animal Nut!

this is such a great thread... I think we're all crazy!!!!...

Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:26 PM

Well put, Quins Mum!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Animal Nut!

Soroush, you dont really bite Lucy's nipples, do you?
That has to take the cake as the most disgusting "dog loving" habit I've ever heard off!
Oh, I did have male friend that used to rub his dogs "u know whats" . Apparently the dog loved it!

Last edited by Quins-mum; February 22nd, 2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Okay, now I have heard it all
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok i dont want to be a party pooper cause believe me i kiss on my cat and let her nibble off my forks and stuff,BUT nipple biting is kind of bizarre to me,sorry,but i just cant picture myslef biting roxys nipples.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Flyball Mom

LOTS!!!

I don't care about hair on clothes, in food, etc.

I sniff and blow on Willow's feet.

She grooms me... kiss, kiss, kiss. Sometimes I forget to wash my hands before grabbing some munchies or whatnot.

I've taught her "kiss" where if I bend over she'll reach up and touch her nose to my lips, sometimes she sticks her tongue out though and I don't even flinch. We also play the kissy game where we see who can get the kiss in first, can I kiss her (yes on the mouth) before she licks me.

I do the typical dog owner sniff the ear thing and say "mmmm it smells good".

I smooch her all the time, whatever area happens to be closest (not the 'girly' areas or the bum), leg, head, side, back, whatever.

I clean the eye goobs and give belly zurberts too.

Is that enough?

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Byrd I do all those things too
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I do miss dog kisses,roxy once in a great while will give a lick immediatley followed by a nip most of the time.,I have no problem getting covered with wet sloppy dog kisses on my face or mouth(closed mouth on my end of course)although i was frenched by my friends dobe a few years ago ,i was goofing around stuck my tongue and so did she,and our tongues met,,eww!! I will always say god roxy is so cute i just want to eat her up,but i cant,so i just cuddle with her when she will let me
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

lol........all these stories are so cute. I have to agree about the dish licking....that is one of my faves. Still remember at Thankgiving dinner my sister was doing the dishes, my mom has a dishwasher but the big stuff needed to be hand washed. I was helping my sister dry the dishes and she peeked around the corner into the dining room to see what everyone was doing. Then she put the turkey pan on the floor for Zoe to lick clean. I was laughing so hard. All that stuck on turkey was gone in a flash....little soap a little rinse even my mom said she never saw that pan so clean
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Flyball Mom

Oh my mom hates it when I let Willow clean dishes! She thinks it's so gross, and she has dogs too, but I tell her that there really is no difference, soap will clean off any germs and Willow gets a nice treat in the process.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

There are lots of times I'll let Dracko lick something not necessarily for his benefit but so it cleans the pot or dish to make it easier to wash.

Love the pic of the doggies licking the dishes in the dishwasher. Not only does Dracko do that but one of my cats literally crawls in and sits in the back when the bottom tray is pulled out. She is less than a year old and this is new for me, but what the heck. I think it's cute.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Honestly,I think we encounter worse germ and yucky stuff in our daily lives,than we can ever catch from our cats/dogs
I too have often been called crazy,but it's a good crazy
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanM View Post
A friend of mine did this when her husband's friends constantly showed up for dinner uninvited. She was so fed up one time that once her dog had finished licking all the plates clean, she just picked them up and put them back in the cupboard. Problem solved! Wish I could have been there to see their faces .
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

That is hilarious