Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 14th, 2007, 11:14 PM

Unhappy Dog won't eat dog food

Hello, I have a 4 year old boston terrier whom we have adopted. No one seems to know what he ate before and his last temporary owner fed him lunch meat (which i am against as it's processed and holds no nutrients). I have tried a few dog foods (wet & dry) and he refuses to eat any of them. He does however eat dog treats. What should I do?? He hasn't eaten much in 4 days (i fed him a little roast beef). please help!!!
Old January 14th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Honest Contributor

sounds like a great candidate for an all-natural, raw food diet you can find all the info you want here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdispla...aysprune=&f=64 a very simple diet consisting of raw bones, meats and organ meats: the very best you can feed your dog for optimal health. and affordable too! dogs looooove it!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

First welcome to the forum, we would love to see pictures.

What foods have you tried so far? There are a lot of knowledgable people here so the more info you give, the better they can help. Good Luck!
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Will he try the new foods the first time you try them? If so you may just be dealing with a dog who is looking for those extras like he had been getting. He will wait it out unless there are no other options. Dogs are not designed to starve themselves but if he is having access to lunch meats, treats for not eating his meals he may just wait for those.
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Red face

Thanks for all the help. No my dog doesnt' even try the food...he sniffs it then turns his nose away from it...my little snob!! I've tried Nutrience, and various wet dog foods...kibble's N' Bits...and 1 other..cant' remember the name. I can't exactly put him on the raw food diet as I do not have the money for that...I'm a student in college so i'm going to try what a friend told me. He said he will probably hold out for 5-6 days (due to his breed) and then i should try the dry food with fresh bacon grease in it. So i'll let you all know if that works

Sorry but i can't add pictures as my pictures are 400kb instead of the 100kb allowed. Not sure how to fix this as they are from my digital camera.

Last edited by mandakyle; January 17th, 2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: pictures
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:33 PM

I don't think that's a good idea... Bacon grease is too fatty and you could end up with huge vet bills as a result of the pancreatitis he'd get.

The foods you mentioned aren't great... Good food is more expensive per bag, but you end up spending less on vet bills and you also feed significantly less too. I was a student until May last year and I never gave up the good kibble after doing the math.

Maybe you should try a fishy food? A lot of picky dogs like fishy foods.

Here are three:
Solid Gold Barking at the Moon
DVP Sweet potato and fish
Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Learning fast

If you do a quick internet search you will find a couple of Global petfoods locally. They have free sample packs of many of the better brands of food, it looks more expensive but think of the food as concentrated, it works out cheaper in the long run, and if you still feel that they are to expensive then maybe costco's premium lamb and rice may be a way to go, drizzle sardine juice over what you have (Zellers are doing 2 tins for $1 at the moment, same with tuna) Find something that works and stick with it, keep with it untill your established and work from there. If you try to much to soon you will create more problems than you started with. Raw done right would be slightly cheaper but you do need space and available funds to kick in in times of deals or buying in bulk, when your managing week to week you are not going to have that $80 to throw down on the deal that comes along. But enought of that 'other diet', try a healthier way of stimulating the eating (filling a kong or buster cube with his food) using fish oil or gravy rather then bacon grease. The kibble is probably sprayed with old fat already and that isn't working so adding more may not be such a good thing. Also when looking at the better foods, look at the price of the largest bag, i only say this because my neighbour just brought her bag of Canadie for $42, I pay $55, I thought she had gotten a deal somehow, turns out to be a 20lb bag not the 40 lb bag like mine, boy was she pissed. Good luck and please keep us informed.
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:37 PM
NOT a senior member

Dogs are the best manipulators. Sounds like your dog is playing you like a fiddle to get exactly the type of food he wants, even if it isn't at all in his best nutritional interest. Pick a nutritional dog food for him and stick to it. Sometimes you can top dress the food with a little broth, water or fish oil. Rest assured, as long as your vet clears him as a healthy normal doggy, he will NOT starve himself, and will eventually give in, and eat what he sees as substandard fare. The fact that he is eating treats and roast beef with relish alone means that he has the appetite, and also a little attitude. Smart dog though......personally I would rather eat the roast beef over the Kibbles and Bits.......ugh!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old January 18th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Thumbs up He's eating!!

Wow... I don't know why but all of a sudden today he started eating his food!!! When i got home from school I took him for a walk (he doesn't go far do to the snow and salt on the ground)...anyways after we got back he sat over near his food dish (which had some food in it) and was watching me. So i went over to him and picked out one piece and fed it to him and he actually ATE IT!!!! i couldnt' believe it..so i put some more on the floor in front of him and he ate more....and more....till it was all gone!! I'm so happy my little :king: is eating!! But i will still keep my fingers so that he keeps eating. The nutrience doesn't seem all that bad...I read through the ingredients and it actually sounds pretty good...it does say that they put chicken fat in it but other than that it sounds good...I dunno...my parents have always fed our dogs pedigree...
Thanks for all the input and help i appreciate it.

I'm so glad Joey's eating
Old January 18th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Well it's great that Joey is eating, no doubt about that, but it's not great what he is eating. Nutrience is neither "not all that bad" nor "pretty good". An example Nutrience food is:

Quote:
Chicken meat (25.0%), ground maize, brewers rice, chicken fat, dried beet pulp, dried egg, dehydrated chicken, yeast, hydrolysed chicken liver, flaxseed meal, yeast extract, marigold extract, mint leaves, parsley, dehydrated green tea, dried kelp, L-carnitine, herbs (0.12%) (dried rosemary, dried fenugreek, dried fennel), dried cayenne, dried carob, dried ginger, dried tumeric, rosemary extract, yucca schidigera extract.

Ewww.

Please, please switch him off. Prin reccomended 3 great foods (though if you want ore choices, there are plenty of others as well). I too am a student, and I know what it's like. I can understand your hesitation towards raw, as there is a large initial start up fee, and maybe you're not ready for it, but please don't hesitate to feed your dog a premium food.

I was at the gym the other day, and for the first time, saw an add for a premium brand on tv. (I know everyone on here knows the benefits of the premiums,thought I'd add them) but I just It was for evo, and they did a cost analysis of evo vs iams vs bargan brand, and you end up 1) feeding your dog less 2) picking up less poop 3) spending less per month on dog food and 4) spending less on vet bills.
(The add made me so happy, because it wasn't for some crap food for once)

So anyways, please reconsider.
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandakyle View Post
Wow... I don't know why but all of a sudden today he started eating his food!!! I'm so glad Joey's eating

Sounds like he got comfortable with the new situation.......

and well.....hungry
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Honest Contributor

yes well, most hungry dogs will eat just about anything... however that is no justification for feeding a low-quality food just because "the dog eats it"...

nutrience is, in order of dry ingredients by weight: CORN, rice by-products, chicken fat. hmmm. seems pretty meager for a carnivore...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:21 PM

There's a food called "Roll Over" that my breeder told me about. It looks like a great big sausage that you slice up, and it is very high in nutrients. They often feed it to pregnant dogs as a supplement. I use it as a treat with my dog, and he can't resist it.
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I just looked up rollover dog food and their website does not even list the ingredients.
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:46 PM

Red face

Thank you for all your advice everyone I will take what everyone said about his food into consideration. i'm not used to paying attention to what is in the dog food... Joey is my first dog...but i'm sure i will get in the hang of it....does anyone know how to make your pictures smaller (like from 400kb to 100kb ) i would like to share my pictures of joey as well as my himalayan Sabbath. Take care
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Learning fast

Down load the pics to a free host like Photobucket and then just use the URL provided (right under the pic in photobucket) and paste it in your text when you want to add the picture, then the internet faries fly oever to photobucket, grap the picture and make it display when you press the submit button. (well thats the way I understand it ) Then sit bown, buckle yourself in, and be ready for a ride into the world of doggy nutrition. Close your ears to white noise and well meaning friends and family, and be prepaired to learn some pretty disgusting things about petfood. You bravely mantioned this earlier "which i am against as it's processed and holds no nutrients" well what do you think dog food is, if you belive that statement then your well on your way to being a raw feeder. For lesser leaps of faith, look around and use your search function. Look for MEAT, and lots of it on the labels, and all before the first fat. fragments of products, by products and unidentified products are all to be avoided, and this is before you start looking real deep, examples are brewers yeast, chicken byproduct meal, meat digest. I can recomend Canadie but only because I'm fairly certain my dog had no allergies. It's also cheaper than most and I knew I couldn't realy go that wrong with it. Have a look around at other posts and you will see a familiar pattern with feeding, the more you learn the more you see the light, the more you wish you could go back, but by then of course, you can't.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM

Wink Thanks!

Thanks for all the help. I have bought the Canadie stuff and he likes it I also have some pictures if you wanna check them out...

My Himalayan cat Sabbath (he'll be 2 Valentines day)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/AwwSabby.jpg

and Joey...my boston terrier (around 5 yrs old)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/DSCN0446.jpg

Thanks again...Joey is soo happy now! I took him to a dog park near my parents house and he ran around for 20 minutes chasing the bigger dogs trying to play However when we got home someone was REALLY tired!!!

Anyways... hope you like my pictures...

manda

P.S. i couldn't resist one more pic of Joey...this one is hilarious...this is the way he looks when he's really excited or chasing after a toy (or )

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ey/Joey001.jpg