Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 7th, 2008, 03:19 AM

Urinary Blockage

My roommate's cat, Skyler, has a urinary blockage. My roommate realizes it is an emergency, but may not have the cash to go to the vet until Monday. (The emergency vet wants $200 up front!) Is there ANYTHING he can do to make him more comfortable until Monday? He isn't eating or drinking AT ALL. He is trying to pee, but only getting drops out. If my own cat hadn't had stones years ago, I would not know what is going on! When my cat had it, I sort of figured out, when he would try to go on the carpet, that if I picked him up under his front legs (basically just like you would pick up a child), it seemed to help him get more of the pee out. This isn't working for Skyler. I've already let my roommate know Skyler can die from this if he isn't treated ASAP, and how much it could cost.

By the way, I've been looking through this site all day, and I LOVE IT!!! I've learned so much already!!!
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:22 AM

I also forgot to ask, can my cat catch this from Skyler? They share litterboxes and water dish.
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

The cat needs emergency treatment NOW, not Monday!!!!! Beg, borrow ask the emergency clinic to make payments. It is very cruel and against the law to keep the cat in pain to die a horrible death. There is nothing you can do to help this cat.

If your room mate doesn't do anything, call the humane society to see if they can take the cat away for medical treatment.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh yeah he's hurting, maybe even running a fever by now. Once they stop eating, you know it's bad. There's nothing you can do until he sees a vet. And once this is over, feed him canned food only to help prevent a recurrence.
Ouch.
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreud View Post
My roommate's cat, Skyler, has a urinary blockage. My roommate realizes it is an emergency, but may not have the cash to go to the vet until Monday.
As has been said, this cat needs to get to emergency come hell or high water. I'm really hoping he's already there. Does your roomie have anyone that can lend him the money? Credit cards? Apply for Care Credit? SOMETHING?

From veterinarian Dr. Lisa Pierson's site: http://www.catinfo.org/
Quote:
VERY IMPORTANT: If your cat is getting in and out of the litter box and is unable to pass any urine or is looking like he is distressed and wanting to urinate outside the box this is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY! A cat with a blockage of the urinary tract can rupture his bladder within 24 hours resulting in death. You may also notice a blocked cat or one with cystitis licking the genital area frequently.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
The cat needs emergency treatment NOW, not Monday!!!!! Beg, borrow ask the emergency clinic to make payments. It is very cruel and against the law to keep the cat in pain to die a horrible death. There is nothing you can do to help this cat.

If your room mate doesn't do anything, call the humane society to see if they can take the cat away for medical treatment.
We called SPCA yesterday. They will contribute $25. Emergency vet will not do payments, they ran his credit, but he is 22, and doesn't have bad credit, just no credit yet.

This is torture to watch too. What is even harder is that we are both disabled, and can't just borrow an advance from a boss. Please, don't rub salt into an already raw sore by calling us cruel. If they would take my house for collateral, I'd have done it!

Without telling his life story, let's just say the economy right now encouraged someone to steal from my roomie's trust fund. (And what a way to find out it is gone!) We're just hoping that we can do something for his pain, and hopefully save him tomorrow, but it is looking like we have to put him down.
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Oh yeah he's hurting, maybe even running a fever by now. Once they stop eating, you know it's bad. There's nothing you can do until he sees a vet. And once this is over, feed him canned food only to help prevent a recurrence.
Ouch.
Thanks, Badger! Thanks to this site, I learned the Hill's Prescription Diet I have been feeding my own cat after his blockage isn't so good.(Though I must say, Abu is 10 now, and had his stones when he was 3) I had always heard that too much canned food would cause bad teeth? Too bad they don't have a Mythbusters for cats!
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
We called SPCA yesterday.
Did you check out the Care Credit website?

There are also various organizations that will help financially in an emergency:
http://www.imom.org/fa/
http://www.imom.org/fa/others.htm

Can you at least TAKE the cat to the SPCA and leave him there? They will either fix him up and adopt him out, or euthanize him. Some vets will also take the animal in lieu of payment, maybe you can call the emergency again and explain the situation. Nobody wants to see an animal suffer like this, they will at the very least be able to give him a kinder death. This isn't about you guys, this is about a cat that is going to die horribly TODAY if you can't at least surrender him to someone who can help him.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Hey, we just got GREAT news! I had to play the disabled card, which I absolutely hate, but the emergency vet is going to take him! We're just waiting for the ride in now! Keep Skyler in your prayers!
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good luck at the vet, drfreud!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Hey, we just got GREAT news! I had to play the disabled card, which I absolutely hate, but the emergency vet is going to take him! We're just waiting for the ride in now! Keep Skyler in your prayers!
Yippeeeeeeeee!!!!! Thank heavens. My fingers and toes and everything else are crossed that Skyler pulls through.

Old December 7th, 2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Did you check out the Care Credit website?

There are also various organizations that will help financially in an emergency:
http://www.imom.org/fa/
http://www.imom.org/fa/others.htm

Can you at least TAKE the cat to the SPCA and leave him there? They will either fix him up and adopt him out, or euthanize him. Some vets will also take the animal in lieu of payment, maybe you can call the emergency again and explain the situation. Nobody wants to see an animal suffer like this, they will at the very least be able to give him a kinder death. This isn't about you guys, this is about a cat that is going to die horribly TODAY if you can't at least surrender him to someone who can help him.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!! You just eased a whole lot of pain on our part! You are an angel!
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM
-

Glad to hear things worked out for you.

Sending lots of good wishes for Skyler.
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:31 PM
-

Quote:
Too bad they don't have a Mythbusters for cats!

But they do ......It's run by sugarcatmom, growler, 14+kitties, Love4himies, badger and kathryn.
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:29 PM
-

Quote:
That's great news ! Good luck !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
But they do ......It's run by sugarcatmom, growler, 14+kitties, Love4himies, badger and kathryn.
which means , whenever you have questions on cats , you come here and ask
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM

I am very happy to report that Skyler made it so far. He had multiple stones, one of which was only 1/4" from the opening of the prepuce. The catheter clogged a few times. They found quite a bit of blood in his urine, and was moderately dehydrated. Have some questions as to the report they gave us:

PE: EENT ok, MM pink and tacky, Inn ok, H&L ok.

What does all that mean?

What is skin turgor?

What is wapole's solution?

He has to go to a regular vet tomorrow. He is taking Buprenex orally every 12 hours. What is that?

Am also happy to report that our emergency vets here in Iowa are knowledgeable. When I read what they do now for stones, as opposed to what they did for my cat years ago, I am happy we aren't that far behind the treatments. Iowa is notorious for being way behind in everything!

Thank you to everyone who prayed for him!
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Walpole's solution is used to break up struvite crystals in cats with urinary symptoms.

Skin turgor refers to hydration. If the skin is stiff and doesn't spring back quite as quickly when pulled, it indicates dehydration--not enough water in the tissue...

And MM I think might be mucous membranes--pink and tacky...so not anemic (pink color) but slightly dry (tacky).

Not sure what the rest is...and my connection is too slow to do an internet search...but with luck the cat gurus will be on to explain it.

So glad that Skyler is doing so well!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Senior Contributor

So glad Skyler is on the mend. Good catch, btw.

Vets here in Canada sell 'prescription food'. If the same is true in Iowa, avoid it. You'll find better ideas here for keeping kitty healthy.
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:25 AM

Yep, Badger, that is exactly what they did. They gave us a few cans of their food, and said to buy only that. (I went through that same thing years ago, but at that time, dry food was what they endorsed.)

Anyone know what brands in the US are good? I went to the store earlier, and all they had was stuff I knew wasn't good. Does Petco sell any good ones, or should we look into ordering online? I have never heard of that Wellness brand everyone talks about here. (Is it even ok on this site to ask about brand names?)

They have him pretty sedated right now. Is that still anesthesia, or that Buprenex?
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so glad to hear you were able to get him to the emerg vet!!! I have been thinking of your poor kitty all night.

To best way to prevent crystals and stones is by feeding your kitty a quality CANNED diet. Add a couple of teaspoons of water for each feeding to get even more fluids into him. Vet food is very expensive and not really the best quality. Qualilty canned foods can't be found in grocery stores, but in pet food stores. The most reasonable is Wellness Grain Free Varieties. They come in large cans which can save a lot of money and quality food will save money in vet bills in the long run. The grainfree varieties have the small yellow triangle in the upper left corner of the can.

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_w...can_index.html

Other good foods are: They may cost more than Wellness.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/instinct_cat_can

http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/prod...nedcat.php#ttl

Here is a good link about stones in cats:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1402&aid=2729

Good luck with your kitty.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
He is taking Buprenex orally every 12 hours. What is that?
First, I'm sooooo happy that Skyler is doing better. Thanks so much for seeing this through.

As for the Buprenex, that's a painkiller. I'm happy to see the vets using it because there are very few painkillers that are tolerated as well by cats. It can be expensive, but it's much safer than some of the other ones out there.

You've already received some good advice about food. The important thing to remember is that cats need moisture WITH their meals. Dry food is the number one cause of urinary blockage in cats and just changing over to a meat-based canned food is enough to prevent urinary crystal formation in most situations. There are some other things that can be done to ensure Skyler doesn't reblock, such as monitoring his urine ph at home and adding an acidifier to his food if needed, but first lets see how he does. Do you think he'll go for the canned food? Sometimes cats get addicted to kibble and aren't so accepting of new foods. There are ways to transition gradually, but the most important thing is that he eat. Here are some tips: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitionin...o_Canned_Food_

If you have any other questions, let us know! Give Skyler a chin scratch for me.

Old December 8th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Does Petco sell any good ones,
I think Petco started selling Wellness recently, hopefully the have some at your store. If not, maybe you can ask them to get some in?

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:35 PM

Have been wondering, I saw to add a couple of tablespoons of water to the canned food, but what kind of ratio? A couple of tablespoons to how much food? I doubt he'll have much of a problem transitioning, since I gave some canned food as a treat before this.

Also, weird thing. Skyler wants to sleep in the litter box now? Before he went to the vet, if I caught him going on the carpet, I would pick him up and put him in the litter box. Did I do something wrong? I didn't even scold him for it, just quietly picked him up.

Even though this isn't my cat, I sure appreciate all the good advice! It's in my nature to help anyone I can, and it is even more important to me being disabled now to have a purpose in life.
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Have been wondering, I saw to add a couple of tablespoons of water to the canned food, but what kind of ratio? A couple of tablespoons to how much food?
I usually add about 1 tbsp per 3oz can (the smallest ones), so 2 tbsp for a 5.5oz an would probably be fine. Depends on what Skyler likes. Some cats like it soupier, some not so much.

Quote:
I doubt he'll have much of a problem transitioning, since I gave some canned food as a treat before this.
That's great! One thing I've noticed over the years is that many cats prefer some variety in their canned food flavours, even though they have no problem eating the same dry food day after day for years. Your mileage may vary, but with my guy I pretty much have to change flavours with every meal. Other cats are okay with the same thing for a few days or weeks, then start getting picky. If you can, have some different flavours and/or brands on hand just in case Skyler also gets picky.

Quote:
Also, weird thing. Skyler wants to sleep in the litter box now? Before he went to the vet, if I caught him going on the carpet, I would pick him up and put him in the litter box. Did I do something wrong? I didn't even scold him for it, just quietly picked him up.
It's nothing you did. Some cats lie in their litter box when they aren't feeling well, and considering what Skyler has been through, it'll probably be a little while yet before he's back to normal. Not sure if you have an extra litter box, or even just a cardboard box around, but maybe you can put a towel in it and put it sort of near (but not right beside) his regular litter box. He might chose it to lay in instead.

Quote:
Even though this isn't my cat, I sure appreciate all the good advice! It's in my nature to help anyone I can, and it is even more important to me being disabled now to have a purpose in life.
You're doing awesome!!!

Old December 8th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You are doing a great job, drfreud, what a caring soul you are.

I add a couple of small teaspoons of water to my kitties canned food at each meal, not to much that it makes the food runny. If the food is out of the fridge, I heat it up for about 5-7 seconds in the microwave just to bring it to room temp. Check it with your finger before serving just to make sure it isn't hot.

When kitties are not feeling well, they like to feel hidden, maybe that is what your kitty is doing. I agree with sugarcatmom, even a small cardboard box with a towel down that he can crawl into may make him feel better.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Hmmm, maybe I spoke too soon about him laying in the cat box. He got up on my waterbed (it's warm), and appears to be leaking. I wonder if that is because of being stretched by the catheter, or just that he is that sedated? Oh well, gave me a chance to make sure the litter is good and clean. Good idea on the other box too. I just put him in one, we'll see if he stays there now. Thought about keeping him more contained, like in one room, but we both would rather him be happy right now. Gonna ask about that soon, his vet appt. is in an hour.

Thanks for all the help. It sometimes isn't such a blessing to be such a bleeding heart, but it is my nature. Can't change it, even if I wanted to.

Last edited by drfreud; December 8th, 2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Adding to post
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:09 PM

We're back already. Not sure if I feel this vet did enough. $56 to basically look at the x-rays and say keep doing what you're doing? He did say to shred up some newspaper for fresh litter or buy the stuff for freshly declawed cats, just in case.
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Unfortunately, Skyler got worse overnight. I fell asleep for a bit, and he woke me up crying for help. I'm never going to forget the noise he made. It was SO soulful. After I got up and saw him, I noticed lots of blood coming out of him. Got my roomie up, and we headed to the ER again. We already knew he wasn't going to make it, but he died on the way to the ER. He never resumed eating or drinking, and we had syringe fed him water and food. I'm pretty sure he got septic. We turned around and went to the Animal Rescue League to be able to get his ashes.

I found another forum that had a thread about this, and most of the people on it are very angry that they never heard about which foods were bad. Most were pretty confused too, as far as feeling really guilty about the choices that were made before they got into treatment. We've been second guessing everything too. There should be more info out there about this! I was thinking they should have to have at least a warning label on the bad foods.

Last edited by drfreud; December 9th, 2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: adding text
Old December 9th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
We already knew he wasn't going to make it, but he died on the way to the ER.
Oh no!!!!! I'm so sorry. You did your best, and for that, I thank you.

Quote:
There should be more info out there about this! I was thinking they should have to have at least a warning label on the bad foods.
Greedy pet food companies make way too much money off of dry food for that to happen. I personally think kibble for cats should be banned. It causes more health problems in felines than any other single thing. Not only blocked urinary tracts, but diabetes, obesity, allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, kidney disease, dental disease..... Cats are just not meant to eat over-processed dry nuggets of mostly cereal for their entire lives.

It's tragic that you and your roomate had to learn about that in this way. Having had my own cats suffer as a result of a dry food diet, I tend to be rather vocal about what cats should be eating instead. Spread the word, that's about all we can do.

Old December 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, Skyler got worse overnight. I fell asleep for a bit, and he woke me up crying for help. I'm never going to forget the noise he made. It was SO soulful. After I got up and saw him, I noticed lots of blood coming out of him. Got my roomie up, and we headed to the ER again. We already knew he wasn't going to make it, but he died on the way to the ER. He never resumed eating or drinking, and we had syringe fed him water and food. I'm pretty sure he got septic. We turned around and went to the Animal Rescue League to be able to get his ashes.

I found another forum that had a thread about this, and most of the people on it are very angry that they never heard about which foods were bad. Most were pretty confused too, as far as feeling really guilty about the choices that were made before they got into treatment. We've been second guessing everything too. There should be more info out there about this! I was thinking they should have to have at least a warning label on the bad foods.

OMG! I am so sorry about Skylar. That's horrible and I'm so sorry you and he had to go through that.

My own cat had the same condition, Sruvite crystals in the summer. Luckily his case not bad, he only had crystals, and no actual stones or blockages. I immediately switched his food to wet and then to raw and he has never had any more problems.

You have every right to be angry. I'm fuming right now for you! Struvite crystals are caused by the urine being too basic and too concentrated. Both of these are caused by feeding a dry commercial food. Cats are carnivores and they don't have the digestive enzymes to deal with high carbohydrate load in dry foods. As well as many other disease that sugarcat was mentioning, like diabetes, obesity etc. In fact, Science Diet has a high protein/ low carb food now call M/D, to help cats loose weight and for diabetic cats. This shows that they realize that these problems can be help simply with a low carb diet. Its almost like they are actually conceding that it was there diet that made the cat sick to begin with.

It just irks me that most cats still eat dry food, as many people think that it helps their teeth! I'm studying animal health and my nutrition teacher freely admits that cats don't have salivary amalase to digest carbs, nor do they have glucokinase which helps with the metabolism of glucose. She also admits we've turned cats into grain eaters by feeding them dry food. But she doesn't see the connection somehow between diet and disease!
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com