Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 10th, 2008, 04:20 PM

My dog has mange

My 9yr old Maltese has been diagnosed with mange. She has been on Revolution for the past six month and has had all off her shots. We now live in Mexico. She spends her days and nights licking and biting her paws. The Vet has given a spray that we apply twice a week and it smell like pinesol. It doesn't seem to work. There are all kinds of products on the internet. Which one works? I am ready to fly back for the meds
How did she get it? What can I do?
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Which type of mange: Sarcoptic or Demodex? Is it just affecting her paws?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Validas Muris

This is what Wikipedia says ..

Treatment
Affected dogs need to be isolated from other dogs and their bedding, and places they have occupied must be thoroughly cleaned. Other dogs in contact with a diagnosed case should be evaluated and treated.

There are a number of parasiticidal treatments useful in treating canine scabies. Sulfurated lime rinses applied weekly or bi-weekly are effective. Selamectin is licensed for treatment by veterinary prescription in several countries; it is applied as a drip-on directly to the skin. Unlicensed, but frequently used, ivermectin, given by mouth for two to four weekly treatments; this drug is not safe to use on some collie-like herding dogs, however. Other avermectin drugs are also effective, but none are licensed for use on dogs.

Try and see if that works ..

For those of you that do not know .. Mange is a parasitic infestation of the skin of animals. Common symptoms include hair loss, itching and inflammation, all of which are caused by microscopic mites. Mange is most commonly found in dogs and other canines, but it can occur in other domestic and wild animals.
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:28 PM

What' The difference. The first time I saw the Vet he showed me a picture od demodex mite, then the next time it was a sarcoptic mite. I'm confused. Are the effects and treatments the same?
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Validas Muris

Quote:
Originally Posted by casitamex View Post
What' The difference. The first time I saw the Vet he showed me a picture od demodex mite, then the next time it was a sarcoptic mite. I'm confused. Are the effects and treatments the same?
Demodestic mange
Also called demodicosis or Red Mange, demodectic mange in dogs is caused by a sensitivity to and overpopulation of Demodex canis as the animal's immune system is unable to keep the mites in check. This is a mite that occurs naturally in the hair follicles of most dogs in low numbers around the face and other areas of the body. In most dogs, these mites never cause problems. However, in certain situations, such as an under-developed immune system, an impaired immune system, intense stress, or malnutrition, the mites can reproduce rapidly, causing symptoms in sensitive dogs that range from mild irritation and hair loss on a small patch of skin to severe and widespread inflammation, secondary infection, and--in rare cases--a life-threatening condition. Small patches of demodicosis often correct themselves over time as the dog's immune system matures , although treatment is usually recommended.

Minor cases of demodectic mange usually do not cause much itching but might cause pustules on the dog's skin, redness, scaling, hair loss, or any combination of these. It most commonly appears first on the face, around the eyes, or at the corners of the mouth, and on the forelimbs and paws.

In the more severe form, hair loss can occur in patches all over the body and might be accompanied by crusting, pain, enlarged lymph nodes, and deep skin infections.

Demodectic mange is not generally contagious to people, other animals, or even other dogs (except from mother to pup); these mites thrive only on very specific hosts (dogs) and transmission usually occurs only from the mother to nursing puppies during the first few days after birth. The transmission of these mites from mother to pup is normal (which is why the mites are normal inhabitants of the dog's skin), but some individuals are sensitive to the mites, which can lead to the development of demodectic mange.

Some breeds appear to have an increased risk of mild cases as young dogs, including the Afghan Hound, American Staffordshire Terrier, Boston Terrier, Boxer, Chihuahua, Shar Pei, Collie, Dalmatian, Doberman Pinscher, Bulldog, German Shepherd Dog, Great Dane, Old English Sheepdog, American Pit Bull Terrier, West Highland White Terrier, rat terrier, and Pug. There is strong evidence that a predilection for juvenile demodectic mange is inherited, and those suffering from this form should not be bred.

Demodectic mange also occurs in other domestic and wild animals. The mites are specific to their hosts, and each mammal species is host to one or two unique species of Demodex mites. There are two types of Demodectic mange in cats. Demodex cati causes follicular mange, similar to that seen in dogs, though it is much less common. Demodex gatoi is a more superficial form of mange, causes an itchy skin condition, and is contagious amongst cats.

Treatment
Minor, localized cases are often treated with medicated shampoos and not treated with agents aimed at killing mites as these infestations often resolve within several weeks in young dogs.

Demodectic mange with secondary infection is treated with antibiotics and medicated shampoos as well as parasiticidal agents. Amitraz is a parasiticidal rinse that is licensed for use in many countries for treating canine demodicosis. It is applied weekly or biweekly, for several weeks, until no mites can be detected by skin scrapings.

Demodectic mange in dogs can also be managed with ivermectins, although there are few countries which license these drugs, which are given by mouth, daily, for this use. Ivermectin is used most frequently; collie-like herding breeds often do not tolerate this drug due to a defect in the blood-brain barrier, though it is worth mentioning that not all of them have this defect. Other avermectin drugs that can be used include doramectin and milbemycin.

Cats with Demodex gatoi must be treated with weekly or bi-weekly sulfurated lime rinses. Demodex cati is treated similarly to canine demodicosis.

Sarcoptic mange
Also known as canine scabies, sarcoptic mange is a highly contagious infestation of Sarcoptes scabiei canis, a burrowing mite. The canine sarcoptic mite can also infest humans and cats, pigs, horses, sheep and various other species.

These mites dig into and through the skin, causing intense itching and crusting that can quickly become infected. Hair loss and crusting frequently appear first on elbows and ears. Skin damage can occur from the dog's intense scratching and biting and secondary skin infection is common. Dogs with chronic sarcoptic mange are often in poor condition.

Treatment
Affected dogs need to be isolated from other dogs and their bedding, and places they have occupied must be thoroughly cleaned. Other dogs in contact with a diagnosed case should be evaluated and treated.

There are a number of parasiticidal treatments useful in treating canine scabies. Sulfurated lime rinses applied weekly or bi-weekly are effective. Selamectin is licensed for treatment by veterinary prescription in several countries; it is applied as a drip-on directly to the skin. Unlicensed, but frequently used, ivermectin, given by mouth for two to four weekly treatments; this drug is not safe to use on some collie-like herding dogs, however. Other avermectin drugs are also effective, but none are licensed for use on dogs.
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They're different. Sarcoptic is the contagious kind--they can get it from another animal that has it. You can get dip treatments or sprays.

Demodex is not contagious--it usually signals some sort of underlying immune weakness and they get it from mites that have been transferred from their dam. Often they come down with it when stressed--our Macie had it at the age of 18 months after coming out of a neglectful situation to an interim foster and then to us (too many changes for her). If it's demodex, an important component of cure is to make sure their diet is healthy (hi-quality kibble or well-balanced raw, etc) to boost the immune system, combined with (usually) a topical treatment (we used Goodwinol, but Macie's mange wasn't too extensive).

I believe ivermectin (which kills the mites that cause the mange) can be used for both types, but don't quote me on that hazel's memory is pretty unreliable these days.

And of course, before any treatment you try, make sure you get a veterinary opinion as to proper dosage and whether it's an appropriate medicine for the type of mange your dog has. First thing to do is determine which type of mange it is. Good luck, casitamex!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:47 PM

I have been researching cures on the internet. I have found MANGE GUARD, medicated oil for Australia and Pet'sBest RX. They both claim relief and cure form mange. Thoughts?? Am I trowing away good money or is it worth a try?
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Sorry, haven't had any experience with either of those. Someone else might have, though.

Old January 11th, 2008, 04:33 AM
-

I would suggest Ivermectin too.....your vet will be able to get it for you.
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:59 AM

I feel your pain!!

Last year, my Golden picked up a bout of mange (we figure she got into some fur that a fox had shed, since we live on a farm) The vet gave her a shot of something ... and then some ivermectin. Was gone in about two weeks tops.

I remember I was really worried about whether the mange could spread to the horses (its really, really bad when horses get mange!) but the vet said that they were different species and couldn't spread between the two.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help!!!

Good luck!!

<3 Owned by a very cute golden retriever; Kassie!! <3
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:22 PM

Hi just wanted to say that topical Revolution is one of the treatments (and very successful) for sarcoptic mange so doubtful that your dog has that. Chewing paws is usually a symptom of food allergy. If you haven't done so I would stop all commercial dog food and join K9Nutrition on yahoogroups to learn about providing your own diet. In the meantime PLAIN Benadryl (without decongenstants in it which would be very harmful), can be given in small children's dosage to calm down the itching altho stopping the food will soon do the trick. I am no expert but having a dog with food allergies and having had a dog last year with sarcoptic mange I felt I should write to you anneh
Quote:
My 9yr old Maltese has been diagnosed with mange. She has been on Revolution for the past six month and has had all off her shots. We now live in Mexico. She spends her days and nights licking and biting her paws. The Vet has given a spray that we apply twice a week and it smell like pinesol. It doesn't seem to work. There are all kinds of products on the internet. Which one works? I am ready to fly back for the meds
How did she get it? What can I do?
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hi there I am in agreeance with providing a home cooked diet for your dog. And with such a small dog that would be an easy thing to do.

I'm wondering if this 'is' mange of if it's a reacton to vaccines and the revolution treatment. Could be your dogs immune system is very poor from all the added chemicals.

You may want to look into not vaccinating as much and doing blood tests every few years, they're called 'titer' tests to check and see if your dog still has the antibodies present for the illness vaccinated for. There is much controversy over vaccines. Myself I do not believe in vaccinations, they weaken the immune system. Any illness present before or after will be worse because of vaccines and poor diet.

If this were me I'd take my dog off all prepared food and anything with preservatives and start cooking for the dog myself. There are great resources avail for you to do that.

You may want to start with some boiled chicken and rice for a few days and slowly start to add other vegetables (no onions). Add other things for calcium like yogurt, sardines, salmon. And I always add some flax or olive oil to my dogs food. Each dog responds differently. My dog has been on a real food diet since she was only a couple mons old and she's 4 now and very healthy.
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Thumbs up mange guard

Quote:
I have been researching cures on the internet. I have found MANGE GUARD, medicated oil for Australia and Pet'sBest RX. They both claim relief and cure form mange. Thoughts?? Am I trowing away good money or is it worth a try?

Hi i also found mange guard on the internet,my 7mth old staffordshire bull terrier was suffering with this demodetic mange for 4 month now, the vets gave me a dip soution to bath her in but the mites never goes completely.i was at my witts end i searched the net for a cure and found mange guard it does everything it said it does, my puppy was suffering with the itching and sores she had to take antibiotics for the skin infection she developed with the mange when i used the mange guard oil on her all over within the hour my puppy was not itching at all a week on her fur is growing back and she still is not scratching madly at her skin i am estactic.If you are wondering wether to get this product it gets 10/10 from me. the medicine that comes with the package helps to heal her from the inside too GREAT, trust me when it says 100% gaurantee or your monet back i now no why they give such a garantee because it works.I hope i have been helpful in your deciding to purchase this miricale product